raleigh

Members dont see this ad
Hi All Cam Gurus, It has been a while since my last K engine Cam Change and i have sinned.When i fitted the Timing cover i didnt replace the studs with bolts.I don't want to ruin the sump gasket by dropping the sump down a inch or so to remove the timing cover.I have had a idea to remove the studs in situ.My plan is to either "double nut the studs and wind them out or use the strongest loctite i have quick metal) on the nut/thread and try the same.Has anyone tried this? Regards,Raleigh

yea use vice grips to remove the studs but bewarned, the sump gasket is very tricky to get on the timing chain cover!

took me 20mins with gasket goo allover my hands

Double nut :wink:

BUT

I find when putting timing cover back on I undo half the sump nuts on each side so it can flex down a bit jsut losen them off. Then I put front half of rubber seal that goes under timing cover in sump with string threaded around it.

When putting cover on I touch the top of it against block first while slowly bringing the bottom towards the engine with the string work the seal POP and it is all sitting together. No leaks fast as about 30 seconds back together do up nuts and sump nuts.

I find I can't do this trick with first half of sump nuts done up with out to much forcing and pullng on the seal. And that pulling could damage it ;)

I find with above method no leaks oil free no mess :laff:

DId it last week in my KE15 to ona cam chain so proven and done it many times before.

Cheers

Cameron

yea use vice grips to remove the studs but bewarned, the sump gasket is very tricky to get on the timing chain cover!

took me 20mins with gasket goo allover my hands

There might not be room for the 2 nut trick, but easier than vice grips on stubborn studs

Only use a lil bit of gasket goo

Edited by KENut

There might not be room for the 2 nut trick, but easier than vice grips on stubborn studs

Only use a lil bit of gasket goo

i removed mine when the engine was on the stand and no sump on it :wink:

Yes you can double nut them with the engine still in the car.

As Cam said I'd suggest still dropping the front of the sump a little bit. Otherwise you'll start to push the sump gasket back towards the motor when you try and re-fit the cover.

I like you string idea though Cam! I've gotta pull a timing cover off soon so I think I'll try that. :)