Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

T50 Removal

Featured Replies

Hey guys,

 

I'm dismantling the car for wrecking and I have taken off the gear lever (its a manual), got all the bolts off the bell housing to engine, removed the tailshaft, disconnected all the associated wires connected to the box along with cables and such, but I can't for the life of me work out how to get the box to come off. I've shaken, pulled and shaken together, also jacking up the box from the side. I'm pretty sure its in neutral, if that matters, and I vaguely remember having a similar issue when I was trying to remove my cars original 4 speed box and the one from the donor car 4 odd years ago.

 

The whole engine is pretty much ready to come out, as I'd previously unbolted that over a week ago and had grinded off the nose cone/radiator support to make it easy to take out the engine without smashing a good windscreen.

 

Anyone know what the problem is and any tips? I'll probably end up putting a couple of bolts onto bell housing/engine and dragging the engine hoist out tomorrow to take whole thing out.

 

Cheers

 

Jesse

Any gap at all between the box and motor? 5mm??

 

Starter off?

 

Flywheel blanking plate off? I assume you have all the bolts out and its just rusted into the clutch/flywheel a little.

 

Take both out as a unit and take a look then.

Take both out as a unit and take a look then.

 

yeah put 2 bell housing bolts back in and take engine/gearbox out as one unit.

 

though if your set on getting the gbox out, you may need to apply some wedging action between the gearbox and the engine. there is a split down the bottom i think (to let oil out) so you can get a decent sized screwdriver in there.

 

it should be pretty lose though, so if the engine is still bolted in, grab hold of the shifter end of your gearbox and give it a good wiggle, should come lose!

 

the thing that will be holding you back will either be the spline in the clutch disc, or the input shaft in the crank spigot bearing.

Bolt the clutch slave back on and push the clutch in, this will try to push the box away before the pressure plate moves :)

I know for a fact that it works :)

  • Author

I've taken out an engine from my HZ holden van before, but the 4kc engine doesn't have very many places to put large bolts to hoist up, so I just put a couple in the bell housing and looped a thick bike lock around the hook ontop of the engine a couple of times. Engine was a pain in the butt to take out compared to the HZ.

 

But got it out nevertheless. I was still struggling to get the box off even after I had the engine removed, the two metal dowels were fairly tight, no rust, but alot of grease. Eventually got it off by wriggling it up and down. Then gave the T50 a good clean, came up pretty good too.

 

Thanks for the advice guys.

  • Author
Box is a K50.

 

 

Thanks Trev, I had some diagrams of a T50 and hadn't actually double checked the difference until you mentioned it.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.