Alfetta Ke70

jimmy-d

Pls don't shoot me,I'm new,I've read lots and lots of posts but have not seen it mentioned and I have access to the parts. Yes I can weld,yes I have painted,yes I have built cars before although pretty basic compared to some of you guys and I can manufacture.

I have a KE70 slant nose '83 model near complete but with no engine and partly dismantled interior,was 4k auto,also have access to a 1.8ltr twin cam manual(RWD) from an Alfasud so thought it may be interesting exercise to do. I'm in Vic so not sure 100% about legality but I think KE=910kg x 4 = 3.640ltr so capacity Ok,not sure about power/weight ratio. Has anyone played with this setup before or what do you think?

Honesty and sensible comments appreciated but not interested in being abused for a stupid idea etc etc.

Really really get off on some of the work some guys on this forum do,absolute quality and fantastic vision.

Regards all!

Edited by jimmy-d

Members dont see this ad

a quick google of "Alfasud" reveals an alpha romeo?

it also revelas that its a flat-4 (boxer)?

might be a tight squeez fitting a boxer engine into a ke70.

there is a bloke on ae86dc that is putting a boxer engine from a subaru into an ae86. pretty tight squeeze, but thats a 2L, so maybe the Alfasud engine is smaller.

ive never even heard of an alfasud, but how cool is the wagon version.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...rdiniera_01.jpg

Ok, several things wrong with the first post

Firstly, the Alfasud never had a 1.8L engine.

Secondly, the engine series that was used in the Alfasud never came in 1.8L (the largest was 1.7L, but there was a twincam (technically quad-cam as it's a boxer) variant)

Thirdly, the Alfasud is FWD, not RWD. In addition, the flat-4 engine series used in the Alfasud never came out in a RWD variant either, all were FWD. Granted, it was a North-South engine, but always in a FWD application.

ah well that changes everything.

by google pics looks just like a 4age. or maybe a bit like a 2tg perhaps.

custom engine mounts, custom gearbox mount, custom tailshaft.

wire it up, plumb it up. and that should be it.

just have to make sure the engine doesnt physically hit on anything (intake on brake booster etc)

i dare say you may be hard pressed finding someone who has done it before. if you have both the engine and the car. drop it in, and see how close everything is.

Unfortunately for me at this moment I do not have physical access to the engine,it has been offered to me site unseen so I am currently unsure of its physical nature regards sump position,engine height etc etc. I have not been able yet to locate a proper side view to show these details clearly enough for consideration so I will make futher enquiries from the person offering before I decide on suitability for a project,just thought it may be a little different and hoped there may be some info out there in rolla land

Will repost if and when I can get futher info,thanks all.

G`day mate, interesting concept. I`ve never had an Alfa, but a friend of mine did a long time ago and from my memory it ran a transzaxle type setup. Meaning that the crankshaft connected to the tailshaft, then to the clutch and then to gearbox/diff.

You would need to inspect the motor to see if it is indeed possible to connect a gearbox via the conventional methods.

Bear in mind tho, that a full conversion to the Alfa independant rear end setup would be a fun project if it can be fitted.

My mate used to belt the b`jesus out of his car and never seemed to break it too badly.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

Cheers.

You are right ol'fella!!

Mate had one in South Afica, and I had an Alfa Guilia. (biggest POS ever and I'd never own another Alfa even if it was free!!)

That system is also used on the Porsche 924/944 series to get the 50/50 weight distribution and lovely neutral handling they have.

We put an Alfa 5speed into the Datsun rally car as the ratios were great. It needed an adapter plate made for the bell housing and a custom mount, but fitted OK. The gearchange was heavy and clunky, the opposite of the KE70 or Mk 2 Cortina feel.

An Alfetta is probably slightly bigger than a KE70, but it would be a great conversion. You would get inboard rear discs and independent rear suspension.

Otherwise you should be able to fit a 5speed onto the back of the Alfetta with a plate.

• 1 month later...

Alfa engines are great, me and my mate have many spare parts for the Alfetta, alfa 75 and junior 1750's

yes if you are good at fabrication it would be a great swap

alfa engines when worked produce massive power for engines developed in the 30's and 40's

my friend is currently getting parts together to build a turbo charged 1.8 to go in his alfa romeo junior

will be getting 300+ hp with little boost and only mildly worked

if you need any info or want to know were to get parts

oh and it look's like a 4age because the 4age is a really good copy of a cosworth, which drew on idea's from the alfa twin cam design.

p.m me if u need info on anything

rust is really what gives these cars there bad image, that and the lack of parts knowledge about how to take care of them in Australia.

regards Harry

so is this going ahead?????

No mate,at this stage it has gone into the wait and see basket as I got dudded on the engine,went to blokes mate so I missed out.Aty present I'm looking at a sigma 2.6 ltr manual as a possibility but not definite yet.

No mate,at this stage it has gone into the wait and see basket as I got dudded on the engine,went to blokes mate so I missed out.Aty present I'm looking at a sigma 2.6 ltr manual as a possibility but not definite yet.

Why the hell would you put an Astron in it? Even for free there are a tonne of better options.

Why the hell would you put an Astron in it? Even for free there are a tonne of better options.

Each to his own mate!Sure there are better things out there but-

1/ I like to be different

2/actually if you do the research they can be quite hot

3/because I have not seen one

More than likely I will come up with a better proposition but I'm always open minded about options and opportunities and thats what keeping rollas on the road is all about.

Sorry you don't like the idea but do I really care?I'm into positives not negatives,yea,maybe it will be shit but I'll learn something from it wont I(hopefully)

No bad feelings mate,just MY opinion..

Each to his own mate!Sure there are better things out there but-

1/ I like to be different

2/actually if you do the research they can be quite hot

3/because I have not seen one

More than likely I will come up with a better proposition but I'm always open minded about options and opportunities and thats what keeping rollas on the road is all about.

Sorry you don't like the idea but do I really care?I'm into positives not negatives,yea,maybe it will be shit but I'll learn something from it wont I(hopefully)

No bad feelings mate,just MY opinion..

1) I have no problems with being different, but there should be some kind of reasoning behind it (not just "different for the sake of being different"). The Alfa engine has a pedigree and a unique flavour to it. The Astron does not.

2) Any engine can be hotted up to a decent degree (look what the Americans/Puerto Ricans do with the humble 3TC), but for time/effort/cost of getting a reliably powerful Astron, there are many other cheaper/easier/more powerful options that are still "different". And in standard form they are a dog of an engine, so you _need_ to do work to them just to get them up to par.

3) I haven't seen a Starfire in one either. Does it mean that it's a good idea too? No.

Whilst being open-minded about left-field options can be a good thing (I know of a guy who is putting a 3RZ Hilux motor into a JZA80 Supra, for instance, and it looks to be a real animal), but it can also be a bad thing (you bypass a much better option simply because it isn't "different-enough").

You can understand my opinion if you stay on this site for a while, we get all kinds of n00b dreamers come in (usually around school holidays) saying things like "my 4K shit itself, can a 4.1L crossflow motor fit because my mate has one in his backyard that he's giving me for free" and then can't understand why the more established members laugh at them.

And after all that, if you want my positive opinion on an engine to try, why not have a look at a KA24DE Nissan donk? Relatively abundant (find someone with a U13 doing an SR20 conversion), came in RWD format (in the Navara), reliable, decent power/torque and responds well to mild mods, DOHC EFI, pedigree (used in the 240SX in the US), and in my mind it shits all over a crappy asthmatic 8V SOHC Astron. That, and I've never seen one done in a KE/AE before, so there's your uniqueness (I was actually considering it at one stage when I still had the KE55)

Edited by Hiro Protagonist