1980 Ke55 Coupe

jackbyo

post-10916-042468600 1286704755_thumb.jpg

So I thought I'd make this thread as a way to keep track of the stuff I'm doing with this car...

The first car i've owned and worked on

stock 4k-c, 3sp Auto. Only 47,000 on the clock! I'm sure it hasn't ticked over either... could've been rebuilt

That front fender is the only dented panel

Got it for $900. It's been sitting in a garage for the last 3-4 years. Had some minor rust here and there. Only a couple spots actually eaten through. I put a new battery in and got it going right away.

since I got it i've gotten it roadworthy and it's running quite well.

I've done some messy/effective rust repair, new battery, new leads/plugs, oil/filter change twice (once with some engine cleaner shit in the oil), roadworthy second hand tyres on a set of 14" bathurst globe knockoffs (challengers I think? will put up pics soon)

I also flushed out all the radiator and water jackets, new thermostat and water pump. Except for a defective gauge, i think the cooling system is now working well

I wanna keep the body stock/classic looking with plenty of granny-spec :y: :y:

Things to do

* Fix that fender

* repaint same colour probably

* Maybe dye seats and carpets black... ideally get new vinyl seats

* redo all chrome and put on chrome bumpers

* Venitians

* SUN VISOR!!

* white wall tyres

* 5 speed

* new stereo

* electronic distributor put in that I've got already.

* extractors

* thermo fan

* 2" exhaust

* weber carby

that's all i can think of for now... sorry that's my only pic. I'll post more up soon and update with stuff i'm doing

Edited by jackbyo

Members dont see this ad

New photos!! It's very dirty and dusty care of the construction across the road. I don't have a vaccuum to hit the interior with either so that's dusty too

These rims were care of nick aka greendog... i like very much :y: also i pulled off that bang strip to see if it's better, and it is. Theres an ex mechanic italian dude a few doors up who came out and yelled at me when i was doing it. I told him it was my car, but that's not what he was worried about... he just doesnt think i should take them off... they are in shitty condition and i think it's cleaner without

post-10916-090812600 1286770819_thumb.jpg

some of my fairly dodgy rust repair... you can tell i'm a first timer

post-10916-091424700 1286770826_thumb.jpg

post-10916-035418800 1286770834_thumb.jpg

back end. i love the tail lights but want full chrome bumpers and rechrome the trim around the lights etc

post-10916-080933600 1286770841_thumb.jpg

this looks like some off-brand petrol cap because i haven't seen any with it on here, and it leaks when the tank is more than half full when i turn right, which is making the white decal come off. new one in the mail now :y: :y:

Also, you can it's missing a bit of trim from between the left side glass panels... I almost ordered one for $40 + postage from rare spares, but then had an idea to shine a torch inside the real panel area.... sure enough i could just see it at the bottom under the window regulator and all that shit. $16 magnetic dish set including a 45cm magnet on a stick from k-mart and I got the sucker out. will reglue it to the glass soon

post-10916-062707700 1286770898_thumb.jpg

Odometer which i wouldnt be suprised if it's accurate... interior etc is just in great condition. got a blue steering lock and radiator cap :y: :y: :y:

post-10916-024128500 1286770964_thumb.jpg

post-10916-020474700 1286771011_thumb.jpg

post-10916-094720800 1286771117_thumb.jpg

and can someone tell me if this radio is stock? It's not working in any case

post-10916-076572200 1286771047_thumb.jpg

and a rebuilt electronic dizzy from a 4k-e starlet in the states, along side a new ignitor and coil i grabbed at supercheap. had a bitch of a time getting this in with my mate a while ago so gave up... i'll get the stock one out soon because i think i know whats stopping it from going in flush

post-10916-069177300 1286771262_thumb.jpg

tomorrow... new temperature gauge and my first attempt at a soldering iron

Edited by jackbyo

.....i think i know whats stopping it from going in flush

That would be the oil pump drive tang on the bottom. Insert the dizzy as you have been, and hold some pressure down on top of it. The turn the motor over with a 19mm spanner on the crank. When the tang lines up, it'll drop in properly and the dizzy will sit flush. :wink:

oh really?? I was thinking of something else but it's hard to explain..

anyway thanks for that tip. Also a big thanks to RA35GT over on toymods for his great tutorial on installing electronic distributors.

gotta ask a couple more things before i give this a shot tomorrow.

if I get this working properly, I'll write a tutorial for how to do this specifically for k-series engines... if I can get this done then anyone can

cheers

just wondering how to make sure i keep close to the right timing...

would i first mark where the old rotor position is, take that distributor out, put the new one in as far as it will go, then turn the motor over by hand slowly till it drops in properly, and then turn the motor over back to where it was, then just turn the new rotor to the mark of the old one?

Got the new distributor in, but not yet wired up the ignitor or module

it turned out to be the rubber o-ring that was the culprit! I swapped them over and it dropped right in!

i think I read in the wiki somewhere that someone said they always had to order these specific o-rings from toyota

will update with pictures

oh and just a quick one of a working temp gauge i mounted under the dash today

(those wires were gaffed outta sight afterwards)

post-10916-063787900 1287062630_thumb.jpg

stayed around 80 degrees when idling for 20 minutes on a hot day.... very good :y: :y:

UPDATE!!!

Brand new ignition!!!

post-10916-038227900 1287625049_thumb.jpg

Today I put in all new NGK spark plugs, bosch leads, ignitor, coil and wiring!! With a starlet 4k-e reconditioned electronic distributor from the states to top it all off!

Most of that stuff is in a photo i took up there

once i had it all hooked up and timed correctly the mighty 4k turned over first go. this was after many failed attempts and 3 sparks being shot up my arm :cool:

It's actually starting instantly now instead of the starter motor pumping away for ~5 seconds like it was. so good.

overall a really nice upgrade, and i bought all the parts brand new for about $110, with the rebuilt dizzy from the states for $60 or so. I followed a great guide over at toymods, but i may rewrite it specifically for the k engines :y:

also notice i managed to modify the existing bracket for the stock coil to fit the new bosch coil :y:

post-10916-009661000 1287625359_thumb.jpg

righto gonna go for a spin now. next step is interior... keep your eyes out for new black carpets/door cards and cream vinyl seats... mmmm

Edit: If anyone's interested, my guide to installing an electronic ignition system is HERE :y:

Edited by jackbyo

well electric ignition is going along well so that's good

today i dropped into a few auto electricians regarding my air con and the busted radio which I wanted working.

a/c compressor is completely seized so i think I'll leave that for now... rather have a visor and stereo going :y:

today i got paid so i bought a pioneer head unit and two 6 inch speakers... gonna have a crack at figuring the wiring out for that tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

not much to report

put the head unit in the glovebox, ran new wiring to the new speakers in the parcel shelf.

Are the ebay venetians from that dude in south australia more spaced apart than these? These are from autocables and there isnt much visibility

couple pics after a wash and wax :y:

post-10916-094110700 1289125519_thumb.jpg

post-10916-085288400 1289125511_thumb.jpg