Hydro To Solids On A 5K Help Needed

ke20 king

Members dont see this ad

Hi,

Yeah it was when I put a solid cam on my hydro's I found out that ACL gaskets are different..LOL As I needed to get my lifters out. Since 5K lifters are a larger diameter you can see where Toyota machined their bore that it cuts into the side of the block a bit and my 5K head has small machineing marks also. This allows the lifter to JUST be slid out with head on. Toyota also machine this relief into their gaskets. but since it is so slight ACL don't adn it makes changing lifters go from easy to PAIN in the ass after taking head off..LOL

Cameron

So that's why I could'nt get my lifters out! I must get a Toyota head gasket after I pull the damn thing apart.

This ones for felix, do you know what the CR and CC volume of your 5k is?

Cheers

I can't remember the CC volume as the motor was put together 6 years or so ago. It ended up around 9.6:1 as I set it up for 95 octane.

As for shimming up rocker pedestals... Why? Normally when you regrind a cam the base circle is reduced to get extra lift, so if anything you need to shave the base of the rocker pedestals to regain lifter preload.

Maybe, but I'd say that would be a rarity unless the cam was a new billet (or hard welded) and not a regrind.

Look at the following reground cam compared to a stock one. Note the massive reduction in the base circle to gain additional lift.

post-4435-011220600%201288769661.jpg

The lifter would drop down the block a fair bit reducing preload, needing the base of the rocker pedestals to be shaved. Obviously a shaved head would help close the gap, but I don't think anyone is going to be shaving a head by that much.

Ah it was your pic I borrowed. :)

I'm not sure about lumpy, hard to really see, but it certainly has some lift.

I'd advise you check your lifter preload like philbey described in a previous post in this thread, and put the results up here. From there we can work out if you need to correct anything.

Edited by Felix

are solids really nessecary or can you have hydraulics working well with a large cammed 5k?

would run a minimum of 7500rpm (where the shift light was set) when competing. Usually over it, like off the tacho, so umm no it isnt necessary to change to solids to pull bigish revs.

A money no object race 5k where you are chasing every single percent of performance, I guess it would be benificial to swap just to be able to rev that bit more. In a street motor, 7000 rpm should be plenty if you want it to be drivable as well.

hey guys

ive read this a few times now but yea just getting a specific answer.

ive got a 5k block with a 4k head

the 5k block has got oversized pistons and a re ground mild street cam,

the question is, would it be easier to convert to solids using the idea that felix did or use hydros with the 4k rocker gear thats in the head already,

cause after reading this i don't see the point in changing to solids, the fact that I'm not gonna go over 7000rpm anyway but if its the easiest way with the combination that ive got i will go that way.

ive got the stuff for the solids besides the 3k pushrods but have numerous 4k and 5k pushrods,

the reason i wanna go solids is cause you can adjust the rockers, but i havent done hydros before so i wouldnt kno how to do it,

what do you guys reckon

cheers matt