Tv Reception

BLZBUB666: I thought about doing that... But the parents are neat freaks and wont allow it :/ so that option is out... Hahaha the other idea was, the antenna on the roof is pretty much above my bedroom, so i could run another cable from it through my window hahaha!

Dave: I have tried it on the outdoor antenna works a treat, I have had it in 3 houses now and has worked fine in every single house...

Now that antenna would work lol...

I'm thinking maybe I can jump up on the roof and see if i can somehow route another lead through my window, it could work

Members dont see this ad

I instal TV Antennas in Perth WA.

What you need and questions that ned to be asked.

How far are you away from the transmitter (the tv stations one)

The terrain between your house and the transmission.

You have a tin roof so indoor antennas are going to be very limited same as putting one in the roof space.

You need one on the roof.

Every time you split the cable to a different outlet you lose about 4-5 db so if you have a 4 outlets in the house you need a 4 way splitter DO NOT USE MULTIPLE 2WAYS you will degrade the digital signal.

At the antenna for a 4 way splitter you will need a signal strength of about 60db to do it without a booster.

If less you will need a booster (signal amplifier)I recommend the kingray pole mounted ones. the Amp goes before the splitter as close to the antenna as you can get, once the signal degrades in the lines then it can't be brought back.

use proper connections all the way along.

With digital you get a perfect picture or nothing.

if you have any question please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers mate, that answers alot of my questions...

Well I live in ballarat so the terrain really isnt that bad between me and the towers, so that shouldnt be an issue.

What is the usualy average cost to get someone in to install another port properly in a room directly from the antennna on the roof???

Can you con 75 bucks from somewhere cause that's all a antenna guy will charge you to get a plug in your room, that is the best bet unless of course you can get in the roof and install a proper aerial splitter and run cables yourself.

Ummm cbf'd reading the latest replies before i wrote this but hearing the same info twice is always a good sign :happy:

Edited by jono1986

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have an ancient PYE tv in my room. It picked up all the channels with nothing more than a paperclip jammed in its antenna socket! The transmitters were 40km away, but there was a direct line of sight. I think it also had a nuclear powered tuner - it hissed like crazy and smelled funny.

When I was at uni, we watched the olympics using a pair of scissors as an antenna - once again, just wedged into the back of the tv. In cairns I had to buy the biggest antenna I could get, then run a booster to get any picture at all.