Mixin' And Matchin' Brands

st.nick

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am big on toyotas but havent owned anything else (keep in mind I'm not even 17 yet) but I'm a fan of most japanese cars. especialy 60's and 70's japanese cars. like my toyotas but nissans are still cool.

we don't want to sound like ford v holden bogans at the local centerlink do we?

laters

Holden vs. Ford

BMW vs. Mercedes

Toyota vs. Nissan/Honda

Forced Induction vs. Naturally Aspirated

While I do have preferences for certain models of car, in some cases, for entire brands, and I also have preference for naturally aspirated vehicles, I don't like to shut my eyes to any option, and will consider anything on it's merits. I don't like brand bashers who simply say that they don't like *insert company name* because they're pieces of shit. In fact, anyone that bashes a whole brand of vehicles is obviously a moron, as any company has it's merits and they should be considered, even Daewoo (ie. they were cheap). It doesn't mean that the brand is better, it just means that those merits should be acknowledged (eg. Daewoos were cheap, but everything else about them was f@$king shit).

Of course, I still don't particularly like the idea of putting one company's drivetrain into anothers shell, as it seems like cheating. There wouldn't seem to be any such thing as the perfect car (possibly excluding BMW M3's, 996 Porsche 911 Turbo, and the Ferrari 360 Modena & 430 Monza), and each car has it's own faults, whether they be lack of power, crap handling, etc. So putting a Nissan motor in a Toyota shell because the Nissan makes more power and the Toyota handles better is cheating in trying to create a better car. I'd much rather have a car with some flaws so that I can acknowledge it's strengths much better and so I can have the sense of achievement whenever I ease one of those flaws through small tweaks or modifications.

:unsure: ^^^ Completely agree!! =)

If you blantantly bash a car manufacturer without supporting evidence, then you are truly an idiot!!

However, if you can positively prove "My Toyota IS better than your Nissan" with hard evidence, then fair enough... Not hearsay, not going on results of Factory Racecars, not "but my mates s13 flogged a gt-4 last week"... But, Factory BHP outputs, torque @ ????rpm, power-to-weight and distribution, braking distances, bump-steer etc etc etc

You can win any "my car is better" arguement providing the facts are in your favour... Less your arguing with a bogan, coz they never listen!! =)

I also agree with the fact 99% of cars built had atleast one good feature. Has anyone ever used a Hyundai Excel at a track-day?? Don't laugh... The 1.5L twincam is a punchy little motor. True, the suspension, brakes and structural rigidity left alot to be desired (nothing 50mm coilovers, 4pot brembos and a full seam-weld and cage wouldn't fix!!). But the bog-standard Excel was a match for the bog standard Mirage (both were renta-cars!!) :(

On that note, there's a 1.5L Lancer Coupe up here that has been going lap-sprinting of late. All the guy has done to the car is put on a pod-filter, sports exhaust (not sure if it has extractors or not), lowered sports suspension, and got himself some Yokohama A032R semi-slicks. With this setup he has attained a better lap time than my mate with an LC Torana with a better-than-XU1 spec 202 (208 actually), using half worn A032R's, and that is already getting pretty damned good lap times. The Torana has done a best of 1min36.5, the Lancer has done a 1min35. And now the Lancer owner has jammed quad-throttle bodies onto his engine, which remember, is still a basic SOHC 1.5L motor.

I love it when a car everyone bags out can surprise people by beating something everyone assumes will win.

Interesting thought there ancullen. Those who do cross-breed generally don't want to settle for second best. Then again some of us do simply because we can.

I'm thinking ca into ke70 cos its cheap not cos its better, i find the gze's better but on my budget build the CA seems to be a better option at the mometn. I'll decide fully when time comes to buying halfcut though.

• 2 weeks later...
I love it when a car everyone bags out can surprise people by beating something everyone assumes will win.

So true.

A friend of mine bought a $800 Camira wagon, dropped it onto the bumpstops, straight thru exhaust, big carby and some pretty flash tyres.. and went circuit racing at a club day!! Beat everything in his class, and even showed some 'racecars' up!!

He also bought a suzuki Baleno hatch... grafted TX-3 balljoints onto the front, adjusted camber at the back, mated 2 plenum chambers together (to basically create a quad-throttle body), 3in mandrel bent stainless exhaust (still the best 4cyl I've EVER heard!!), tx-3 wheels and sticky tyres!! It Disgraced ALOT of respected hillclimb cars last year!!

He's a bit of a demon behind the wheel tho...

Alot needs to be said about the driver...I read an article the other day with 2 mini's in it...one had a Suzuki GTi engine, and the other had a GT Starlet engine in it...and they were both ultra cool....the Starlet engine one was on a racetrack he said...and there was a Supercharged LS1 HSV on the track...and he said he will never forget the look on the guys face as his little mini cruised past him down the straight....just awesome, I am a die hard ford fan, but I believe in giving credit where credit is due, I love EH Holdens, I can appreciate a nice Commodore, so long as it doesn't look like every other VL Turbo driving around. I love different things...that is what I like about my corolla, it stands out. It's bright, it's low, it's loud...and there ain't many other coupes in Canberra like it.

As far as people "cheating" to get the best engine/handling combo they can...why the hell not...if you can have ur cake and eat it too..I say go for it!!!

no, 2L efi camiras really do totally chop. i have no idea how much power they have, but they can bag up second gear in the wet at any time. a mate of mine had one with some really crap tyres and he took it to the hillclimbs, it oversteered more than some rwd cars, certainly more than my ke25 did

My friend is driving a Camira at the moment...that was an 1800 but has had a 2lt put in it, and the guy that did the conversion couldn't be bothered with the EFI, so he put a Side Draught Stromberg off a Saab on a plate he made on the inlet runners....and the thing absolutely screams. It spins wheels in 3rd gear with ease in the dry, it is almost undriveable in the wet...it is bloody awesome

You'll be amazed what sticky tyres and good suspension will do for a car. There's a 1.5L Lancer Coupe with good lowered suspension, Yokohama A032R tyres, extractors and sports exhaust, and it laps Hidden Valley quicker than my mate in an LC Torana with a fairly worked 202 (bored out to 208). This Torana is by no means slow and the driver is pretty wicked. It's just the Lancer is so f@$king quick through corners.

-[yRe' date=Oct 4 2005, 11:27 AM' post='74627]

I'm GENERALLY a brand snob, but if something has been done different and it's cool then i'll give it the time of day...

I prefer to stay to the brand where possible.

Hence the 7k in the ke55.

This has proven not to be the easiest

cheapest or even the most efficient

answer but a k series rolla should have

a k series motor or at least toyota motor.

having said that an SR20DET in a rolla

would be fun and have a lot of pottetial

its just not my way.