Adjusting Odometer To Suit Car, Legal?

Trev

When I finally get around to putting the twincam in the corolla I am also wanting to put the twincam speedo in this one (unlike the last conversion) as it is a red display, now I want to know the legalities of adjusting the odometer on the replacement dash to suit my cars body k's, does anyone know if this is legal as all I can find is speedo tampering is illegal but does that just refer to winding back a speedo to sell a car?

Members dont see this ad

not exactly sure if it helps but i did a cluster swap on a VP commonwhore on the old one it said 167xxx on the new one it was 183xxx so very little difference but i did ask about it, you needed to get inspected by a J P (justice of peace) so any official person who thats works in the courts or legal system to sign off to say they have witnessed the old reading against the new one to clarify that the numbers either match up or to say what was on the old speedo before it was removed so the n they sign a stat dec which is then a legal document which you then can produce when vehicle is being sold or rego'd to prove everything is legit

not exactly sure if it helps but i did a cluster swap on a VP commonwhore on the old one it said 167xxx on the new one it was 183xxx so very little difference but i did ask about it, you needed to get inspected by a J P (justice of peace) so any official person who thats works in the courts or legal system to sign off to say they have witnessed the old reading against the new one to clarify that the numbers either match up or to say what was on the old speedo before it was removed so the n they sign a stat dec which is then a legal document which you then can produce when vehicle is being sold or rego'd to prove everything is legit

Ok, I could take the original dash to them and get them to check it and then return it with the red numbering.

Damn, I lost over 330,000k's when I got my tacho dash. :blinks:

You are a dumbass, that is why you remove the tacho and clock and insert them into the original dash, it is what I did with the AE71 to retain it's 16****k's.

Not sure about QLD, but in SA I'm fairly sure you need a mod plate for swapping out your dash, and then the speedo gets reset to your previous km total. That is if you tell them and don't just switch stickers/plates, or if you really think it's going to matter in the rego process/cops seeing it and caring.

What's your main goal for messing with the odometer anyway?

not sure if it can work that way or if it has to be in the car, i suppose it would have to be in car so they can identify the car check numbers and such to ensure you arent rebirthing it, but you are in the state of natural disasters so your rules may be different then in nsw. best just to check with them

Not sure about QLD, but in SA I'm fairly sure you need a mod plate for swapping out your dash, and then the speedo gets reset to your previous km total. That is if you tell them and don't just switch stickers/plates, or if you really think it's going to matter in the rego process/cops seeing it and caring.

What's your main goal for messing with the odometer anyway?

Twincam conversion, 4ac dash is white/blue, 4age dash is orange/red, want it to be as much as possible a twincam sedan so I want to use the orange/red dash.

Then id propose putting it hypothetically to a Copper in your area and seeing if they'd even care. Most cops my way wouldnt even look inside unless you had a glowing 300mm dildo shifter, or hair product moving bass emitting from your windows.

A few phone calls to your local cops shop and registration/compliance places should give you an idea of what is legal, and what your likely to just get away with anyway. If it's not bald tyres, ride height, blood alcohol levels, hooning or nightshaded lights, your most likely going to be fine in the long run :)

:fuzz: :fuzz: :fuzz: :fuzz: :fuzz: :fuzz: :fuzz:

As stated in my first post though about winding them back, if I wind back this speedo to be the same as my car and fit it then I am not exactly winding back the clock am I, I want to know where the law sat but I think I should be fine, I will try to make some calls or something.

No one will ever know. No-one could ever prove it. In a car that old, no one would care.

Bottom line if anyone tried to do any of that, they would need to exhibit an intent to deceive. That obviously isn't your intent here.

In a relatively new car, say 5 years old, it may be relevant, in something approaching 25 years, it isn't.

The day comes where you decide to sell it on rollaclub and claim genuine 30K, only driven to church on sundays by Cameron Diaz (Cameron would own a 4AGE if she wasn't a star) etc, I will flame your ass by linking this post!

I mean, you are hardly disguising the fact.