**project:36**

st.nick

I killed my old (worked 3T-c 5sp, LSD... tidy) KE36 by rolling it in the forest.

Mvc-009f.jpg

Was a sad, sad day. sob I wanted another KE36...

...and I found another one.

100_1172.jpg

Its a bit ratty, but IMPORTANTLY... everything is straight.

The 3k Bigport is knackered, and was gonna be replaced by a ?T-g. For now, its getting a kinda-fresh 4K. It'll be daily driver/weekend warrior for uni next year.

I am more into Handling and Stopping than BHP. As a result I have learnt HOW to get the most of these cars, and use the small amount of BHP that K engines have... Momentum, braking late, and hurling a KE at corners!!

So Project:36 (P:36) is gonna get the best setup possible, easy-easy setup!! No Corona Struts, Pug discs etc (tho I've put sigma arms in).

The 4k will get extractors, bigger carby and a side-pipe. I'll keep looking for a T-g and box... Then P:36 will get serious!!

Coming from a rallying background (3 years of Tas Championship in a 250BHP 4WD 323 turbo), P:36 will sit at standard height, with 4 driving lights, mudflaps etc... Interior is a KE30 dash, no carpet, no stereo. don't need carpet or stereo in a racecar!!

Watch this space...

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you mention the windows, as I have never seen one WITH glass!!

Both mine, and the other 3 local ones up here all have metal panels.

The reason for the standard height/ driving lights/ mudflaps is that this one is gonna spend time off the beaten track... I'll be looking at using it for going up scrub, officialling (hmm... competing??) at club rallies etc. My old van had frequenbt visits to the Great Lake and driftin' down on the beach!! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

**Update**

Got the 4k going today.. Just a few misplaced wires :)

Decided to give it a degrease too. Before and after pics follow...

engine.jpg

BEFORE

Image194.jpg

AFTER

Also fitted a thermo fan that was laying around (hence no fan on the front of engine). It should be sufficient to keep the 'K' cool!! :(

Image195.jpg

Next: Exhaust and shocks :)

Edited by st.nick

"chickenfeed" (which is a cheap $2 junk store here in Tassie) had aerosol degreaser cans 3 for $5... Used 5 of them but its all good. I'm happy how it cleaned up!!

Only thing is that the grease and grime was probably keeping things sealed up... Watch it leak like a sieve now!!

Good work mate! I like the look of the "panel van" (no rear side windows or rear seats)

I might be selling my 2tg soon if you can't find one, and I'm in Hobart!

Keep it up and us updated.

Hahaha... You know, I was reading your project topic last night and thought "Hmm... Wonder if he'd be keen to sell that motor" :(

PM me once you have a think... No rush, as I'm still broke :)

• 1 month later...

She's in the electricians this weekend...

I got an R31 Pintara alternator, and my electrician retro-fitted it into the Corolla housing. New bearings and stuff in it too. It should be adequate to handle the draw from 4xs 100W driving lights and that thermo fan!!

Fingaz crossed it'll be registered this week...

Keep ya'll posted :D