Ke30 Manual Conversion

FOOMAN

Hey guys, this year at school we have to do a 'Research Project'. So for mine I've decided on researching how to convert my ke30 to manual and the costs etc etc. And after researching it all, I'll be doing it too :D

I've been reading around other topics about how to do it and have a general idea but what I'd like to know is:

Which parts will i need for this?

- ke30 manual x-member

- ke70 5 speed gearbox (so that the gearstick fits through the auto hole?)

- ke30 manual pedal box

- clutch cable from..?

- ke30 manual speedo cable?

- which tailshaft?

Because of the auto diff making the speedo be out, how would I go about fixing that without getting the manual diff?

Will the manual x-member bolt right in or will i need to weld it to an auto one like in the ke55's?

How do I go about wiring the reverse lights in?

and also, if possible, how much would each of these cost? (would be a great help to know)

Cheers, Matt.

Members dont see this ad

Which parts will i need for this?

- ke30 manual x-member

Or ke55 manual x-member

- ke70 5 speed gearbox (so that the gearstick fits through the auto hole?)

You'll need the mount as well - its different to the ke3x/5x

- ke30 manual pedal box

Or ke55

- clutch cable from..?

From a ke3x or ke5x

- ke30 manual speedo cable?

Or '55.

But i'm pretty sure that the speedo cable for the auto will be ok.

- which tailshaft?

Now comes the tricky bit cause it'll all depend on the diff and what the auto was.

If the ke30 is the early version with the 2 speed auto you should be alright with the factory fitted shaft. If its the later model with the 3 speed auto you'll need to find a shaft that'll also bolt to the diff's input flange, there's two types - the jap diff (small flange) and the BW diff (big flange)

Because of the auto diff making the speedo be out, how would I go about fixing that without getting the manual diff?

The only way i know of is finding an speedo adapter (or adjuster or whatever its called)

Will the manual x-member bolt right in or will i need to weld it to an auto one like in the ke55's?

Depends on if its the early or late version.

The early version with the two speed will be fine, you'll just have to make up a spacer to drop the x-member down about 1".

The late version with the three speed will need you do a bit of welding and/or possibly some fab work.

How do I go about wiring the reverse lights in?

I had to use the six-way connector thats near the auto shifter. Link two connectors together for ignition cutout and another pair i had to link a couple of lengths of wire in that went to the switch on the g'box.

and also, if possible, how much would each of these cost? (would be a great help to know)

Depends on a few things like favours, the barter system, where you want to buy the stuff, how you want to buy the stuff.

I've done all four. I think all up it cost me about $100. Someone not so lucky might find it costing a few hundred.

You'll also need a spigot bearing, flywheel and bolts for flywheel and clutch.

towe001 has got it all. I have personally done this conversion on a ke55. Either way your going to have to weld up a cross member for a gearbox out of a 30-55 or 70 as the auto chassis have the holes but they aren't threaded and don't line up for either cross member. If you use a ke30-55 box you will have to cut the shifter hole about 2-3 inches further forward. It only puts the speedo out by around 8-10km/h reads faster than your actually going with an auto diff.

cheers, Crowie

It only puts the speedo out by around 8-10km/h reads faster than your actually going with an auto diff.

cheers, Crowie

Sounds about right around town at 60. But when i went out to cressbrook for the camping trip the speedo was sitting on about 150/160 while i was doing 100.

Cheers for the replies,

Mine is the 2 speed auto (which sounds like it makes life heaps easier for me) so I should be right for the tailshaft that's currently in it then? And if I get the ke70 box, and the x-member for it, I'll have to get it welded up to my auto one so it'll fit?

towe001 I don't suppose you have a diagram or picture for how you wired up your reverse lights etc.?

So the spigot bearing, bolt, flywheel and clutch I just grab out of a Ke30/55 or because I'll probably grab the ke70 box will they need to be from a '70?

Yes, tailshaft should be right. But just to be on the safe side i'd pull it out and make sure it fits. That way you still have transport if its an oddu ball.

Being the 2 speed auto you won't have to worry about welding x-members together. Don't use the x-member from the ke70, just the gearbox mount. The fun bit with that is of fitting up the g'bojx to the motor and tailshaft, bolting in x-member ( but it'll have to be lowered by an 1") and you'll have to bolt the g'box mount to the g'box so that you'll be able to work where to drill the holes in the x-member for the mount.

Spigot bearing, flywheel and bolts can grabbed from either ke30 or ke70 a model inbetween.

Wiring - i think from memory i have photo of what i did in my build thread (Towes turtle). I used a multimeter to figure out what was what with the six-way connector but two wires and a 12v bulb will do the same thing. And talking about a 12v bulb the autos shift lever has one.

• 5 weeks later...

Should be attempting this tomorrow, hopefully it stops raining here -.-

Ended up buying the full set for $120 from basher_ke20 out of a ke55.

Does it matter if water got inside the gearbox? I'm draining it out.

Will tin snips be alright to cut a new shifter hole? I havn't looked at it yet so don't know how think the metal is.

Should be attempting this tomorrow, hopefully it stops raining here -.-

Ended up buying the full set for $120 from basher_ke20 out of a ke55.

Does it matter if water got inside the gearbox? I'm draining it out.

Will tin snips be alright to cut a new shifter hole? I havn't looked at it yet so don't know how think the metal is.

You might get away with tin snips, I used an Air-Saw, only cause I was able to 'borrow' one from work.

And I cut the new hole 2-3inches above the old hole?

I'd put the box in and measure before cutting. Pull the shifter off the box and tape off the hole in the box where the shifter was so you don't drop anything in the box. Atleast you'll know excactly where you have to cut.

Stu.

I'd put the box in and measure before cutting. Pull the shifter off the box and tape off the hole in the box where the shifter was so you don't drop anything in the box. Atleast you'll know excactly where you have to cut.

Stu.

Sounds like a smart move, will do that. Cheers.