Solex 40Mm Reconditioning?

7FOUR7

Hi, I have recently picked up a set of twin solex 40s for the ke20 which are in good condition although quite dirty and grimey.

My question is, how to clean them up and what products/tools etc to use to get them looking something like this?

Image004.jpg

As they will be mounted on a cermaic coated manifold with ceramic coated extractors, alot of polishing and braid line about.

Thanks in advance.

Members dont see this ad

The will need to be pulled down to bare parts, the cast alloy can be dipped as can the brass. You will then need to rebuild them with new kits. Also a good time to get close jetting.

This website is the one for you....RM Carburetors, solely solex/mikuni.

Edited by GJM85

Hi,

I recently made a set of solex to suit my 5K on the sprinter.

If you want a target budget I spent $1000 just on carbes to get them on car that didn't include tune and I built them my self.

Pretty much only original part in them in the body..lol NEW everything ventures, floats, jets, springs, linkages etc etc.

Now I did rebuild them my self so I cut a lot of labour there I acid dipped them at my work, polished them at work, lapped them flat and square and parraell to each other, ground throttle shafts flat, made teflon space's to go in top of carbie to fill gap (I use 40mm and they have that step in inlet I didn't like for air flow so filled it) new linkages from japan, new idle screws, new nuts and bolts on all locations, removed all casting dags on body inside and out and polished the insides, leak tested all passages to make sure they didn't leak where they were meant to be sealed etc where do I stop I went over board but got a VERY VERY clean example better than factory :) that I was proud of. I did them as a labour of love and took me about 7 months.

uIfeel they are a good carbie but many people have issues with them wiggling lose etc. That is I think off top of my head the S type ones that were on celica's. Mine are a set of aftermarket Solex made ones that were never a OEM and don't have that issues in later versions of carbies they fixed all that so with a good rebuild you wont have any issues with them not even finding parts, parts can be had just not cheap..lol

Have attached a picture of my result( note there not finished here I still had not fitted my linkages fuel inlet etc, etc)also I only have a $60 camera so low light colour here is bad and washed out. But on left hand barrel near top you can see my finger print in black down side to having them this good is they did get dirty under the bonnet :(

post-1811-048247100 1303037319_thumb.jpg

Also should note I built my self a jet kit with all different jets sizes for tuning for these bad boys so that cost more to.

Cheers

Cameron

Not really. The gasket kits are hard to find and you need to make sure you get the right ones. And expensive when you do. The throttle spindles are often twisted and possibly the pivot points worn, which dramatically affects their function and ability to balance them properly.

The ram tubes wouldn't be cheap either. And he will jet and choke them appropriately so they are pretty close pre dyno.

Honestly, for such a crucial factor in performance and engine longevity, I reckon it is money well spent.

I'm all for doing things myself, but this is one thing I will hand over to an expert.