Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The First 'Big' Thing I Built

Featured Replies

  • Replies 41
  • Views 77.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author

Impressive.

 

I must see this when I'm over next.

 

Possibly July!

 

Thanks man! :y: Does this mean I have to drag it out of my parents garage where its currently residing? :P Sailing season's slowly winding down so I will have to go raid people's second hand bits/old spares for some sails! Failing that I'll go with the 'custom-cut' UV rated tarpaulins I have atm :laff:

 

I may possibly be over in Adelaide in June (depends on me playing Korfball still) so will have to try & organise a catchup with some S.A members! :yes:

  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

holy crap! :blinks: I'm speachless

 

If there was a prize for coolest DIY threads you'll take it

I love sailing, nearly ended up on Nicorette a couple of years ago when she was coming down for Sydney to Hobart! But she was running late and I missed out :sob:

 

I'm in the process of making a R/C Yacht but I don't even feel right mentioning it after seeing this thread lol :laff:

Here is a pic of something you might like, I saw her a couple of weeks ago on Hamilton Island (that's my dream boat!).

post-5-0-27310200-1315300522_thumb.jpg

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

holy crap! :blinks: I'm speachless

 

If there was a prize for coolest DIY threads you'll take it

I love sailing, nearly ended up on Nicorette a couple of years ago when she was coming down for Sydney to Hobart! But she was running late and I missed out :sob:

 

I'm in the process of making a R/C Yacht but I don't even feel right mentioning it after seeing this thread lol :laff:

Here is a pic of something you might like, I saw her a couple of weeks ago on Hamilton Island (that's my dream boat!).

 

:cool:

 

Thanks heaps mate, it might look good in photos but it's as yet untested (getting around to it...one day). So whether anything holds up is unknown, in theory it'll work... communism works in theory... :lol: At this point she's stashed in my parents garage keeping the lawnmower company.

 

Bugger on missing out on a ride on Nicorette! Until Wild Oats came along she was one helluva yacht, even still she's pretty quick! I blame my crappy CRT monitor but I can't make out what her name is in the pic. :hmm:

 

Edit: Just went to save the photo & saw the filename was WildOatsXI...I can now just make it out on the boom cover! :lol: Yeah, she's got all the good bits: foam-cored carbon/kevlar hull, carbon mast, think he switched to carbon rigging (or at least parts of it), hydraulic canting keel...*drools*. In a sport where sail area matters, she can make much bigger boats look sluggish.

 

Just wondering on the R/C...RollaClub or Remote Controlled? :wink: Build thread either way! :y:

 

where does the garret go?

 

:blinks:

 

On my 4A-GE! :D

Edited by carbonboy

  • 1 year later...

awsome! i built a boat very similarto this for my HSC major work. got to the part where i had o do the rigging and i don't sale so i didnt know how to go about it. any tips?

sorry these are the only pics i have on my computer of my boatpost-17489-0-54067500-1354185297_thumb.jpgpost-17489-0-59837000-1354185304_thumb.jpg

  • Author

awsome! i built a boat very similarto this for my HSC major work. got to the part where i had o do the rigging and i don't sale so i didnt know how to go about it. any tips?

 

Small confession...I have practically zero sailing experience, what I do know is to make sure you know how to swim for extended periods. :)

 

I used two books as reference material when setting up the rigging, both were pretty cheap via eBay & dumbed it all down enough for me. :)

'The working guide to traditional small boat sails' by David L Nichols & 'Sailing for beginners, 3rd Edition' by Jeff Toghill.

 

You've done a fantastic job on the finish of yours, you should be damn proud. :y:

wow mate. ..!

only saw this thread now.

unfckingbelievable..!

you couldnt put a price on the hours you have put into her

  • Author

wow mate. ..!

only saw this thread now.

unfckingbelievable..!

you couldnt put a price on the hours you have put into her

 

Cheers man :y: I don't think anyone would pay it even if I could. :wink:

 

I was at Albert Park Lake for the TCCAV Christmas BBQ last weekend, weather's good, temptation to pull it out of storage is high. Just have no time to :(

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.