Head Swaps

st.nick

Members dont see this ad

Wouldn't the 'bigport' head have different sized (bigger??) exhaust ports?? If so, then a 'regular' set of 3k extractors wouldn't be the same size as the 'bigport'

ports...

I'm totally lost, I've only ever dealt with the factory cast manifolds, and only found out last month that there was sucha thing as a'bigport' head!! :D

Wouldn't the 'bigport' head have different sized (bigger??) exhaust ports??

I'm totally lost, I've only ever dealt with the factory cast manifolds, and only found out last month that there was sucha thing as a'bigport' head!! :D

Wouldn't the 'bigport' head have different  sized (bigger??) exhaust ports??

No, the main difference is in the inlet ports.

You buy the extractors for your make of Coroola, for the simple reason KE20 pipes won't fit on a 30 and vice versa.

You would either need to match port your inlet manifold, or find a big port one.

all i can say is that if you put a 3k head on the 4k block it will turn over once then either put a hole in the top of your piston or bend the hell out of the valves. this is from experience. we then threw the internalls away.

you probably put a dished piston head (with long reach spark plugs) onto a flat top block. much like the guy who put a flattop 3k head onto a dished piston 4k bottom end then wondered why his car ran like a lawnmower. :( pay attention to what you're doing, think about it, and if in doubt measure! a syringe costs you 4 bucks at the chemist, it's accurate enough for backyard stuff like this

rocker posts ARE different, in that early 3k rockers have alloy posts, later 4k rockers have cast iron posts, but they both place the shaft in the same position, so the difference doesn't really matter. you could theoretically mix and match alloy/iron posts if you wanted to. the iron posts are the better to use, as they don't expand as much as the alloy ones under heat (hence making valve clearances unreliable)

extractors are dependant on vehicle, not engine/head. ke10/20 extractors won't fit a ke30/55 as the floorpan is different. likewise for ke70 extractors, which have a different floorpan again

ALL THIS ASIDE, 3k valve gear is shit and prone to leaking oil down the stems, and the older the head, the more likely it is to either have internal corrosion in the water jackets, or crack when placed under extreme running conditions (such as the extra heat of high compression). i would much rather just take your existing 4k head into an engine builder and get them to skim it for 50 or 60 bucks then bolt it back on

Nice one!! thanks 4 dat...

I think Rjenman & I were thinking the same ideas at nearly the same time. Hence 2 threads with the same meanings!! :(

hehe yeah sort of.... both being confused about head swaps between K motors and what could possibly go wrong... :)