Crowie'S Ke38 Wagon

Crowie55

Hey guys,

Back in February as some of you already know my baby 55 coupe was stolen :sob: I had my eye on Dougie's(phatke20) ke38 wagon he had for sale as a project build, but things dramatically changed and the search for a project turned into a search for a daily driver. Picked this beauty up for a bargain(thanks again Dougie) drove it down from redcliffe for a measly $650 with the help of my brother (chillin).

as I got her:

1981 ke38 wagon, 4spd manual, whiny diff over 60, few dints and bumps, little bit of rust, no stereo, dull paint. classic ke.

So, I got her home and gave it a wash, little polish and booked it in for a roady the next day, Passed easily. Slowly got annoyed with the diff so I replaced it with an auto diff I had at home. The body slowly started to bug me so I decided to do a respray. Over the past few months I've been accumulating panels for it, bonnet, front guards, doors and tailgate. Also bought a 5 speed box and another spare diff just in case. Just have to chuck them all onto the car now.

I really like lowdown style but previously on my coupe its hard to get the rear low and wide without guard rolling or modification, I seen greenmac put 70 guards on the rear of his 30 and really liked how it looked so i decided to do the same as I'm going to run at least 7" and very low, I want lots room in there to fit some decent tread for mountain/hill runs(have run stretched tyres and they are rubbish)as well as tuck lots of tyre and possibly rim.

So as it stands I have all the panels for the respray at my place now, just need to prep them and do the deed. Car is going to be simple at first, Gloss white, very low and stiff(right way of course) and some good offset rims to finnish her off. Hopefully after that 86 brakes/coil overs and a larger k series engine, extractors and sports exhaust.

As you can see in the pictures the body is far from done and I've had to fix a fair bit of rust. Also pictured is a few rims I have just deciding which set to put on it now. They also need a bit of work polishing/painting ect. So it's a work in progress but hopefully I'll have some more work done by the end of the week, I'll constantly update the thread with things I've been up to every few days or so.

Enough talk, let the pictures tell the rest.

Cheers, Crowie.

post-9001-022089800 1303903829_thumb.jpg

post-9001-099656700 1303903879_thumb.jpg

post-9001-019040700 1303903977_thumb.jpg

post-9001-012153200 1303904049_thumb.jpg

post-9001-063358500 1303904109_thumb.jpg

post-9001-080536500 1303904147_thumb.jpg

Edited by Crowie55

Members dont see this ad

B-Rad keeping up appearances

as always cars start somewhere and like your previous example will be interesting,

if your chasing after a driveline, ill part mine to you :-)

Cheers Carlos,

Yes we all have to start somewhere, I do have a spare diff at home which I recently purchased, but if you have a different series diff that would also help. I've left a lot of information out as it's late and I'm tired, But I'll soon update it in a few days with the full story.

Hey guys,

Back in February as some of you already know my baby 55 coupe was stolen :sob: I had my eye on Dougie's(phatke20) ke38 wagon he had for sale as a project build, but things dramatically changed and the search for a project turned into a search for a daily driver. Picked this beauty up for a bargain(thanks again Dougie) drove it down from redcliffe for a measly $650 with the help of my brother (chillin).

as I got her:

1981 ke38 wagon, 4spd manual, whiny diff over 60, few dints and bumps, little bit of rust, no stereo, dull paint. classic ke.

So, I got her home and gave it a wash, little polish and booked it in for a roady the next day, Passed easily. Slowly got annoyed with the diff so I replaced it with an auto diff I had at home. The body slowly started to bug me so I decided to do a respray. Over the past few months I've been accumulating panels for it, bonnet, front guards, doors and tailgate. Also bought a 5 speed box and another spare diff just in case. Just have to chuck them all onto the car now.

I really like lowdown style but previously on my coupe its hard to get the rear low and wide without guard rolling or modification, I seen greenmac put 70 guards on the rear of his 30 and really liked how it looked so i decided to do the same as I'm going to run at least 7" and very low, I want lots room in there to fit some decent tread for mountain/hill runs(have run stretched tyres and they are rubbish)as well as tuck lots of tyre and possibly rim.

So as it stands I have all the panels for the respray at my place now, just need to prep them and do the deed. Car is going to be simple at first, Gloss white, very low and stiff(right way of course) and some good offset rims to finnish her off. Hopefully after that 86 brakes/coil overs and a larger k series engine, extractors and sports exhaust.

As you can see in the pictures the body is far from done and I've had to fix a fair bit of rust. Also pictured is a few rims I have just deciding which set to put on it now. They also need a bit of work polishing/painting ect. So it's a work in progress but hopefully I'll have some more work done by the end of the week, I'll constantly update the thread with things I've been up to every few days or so.

Enough talk, let the pictures tell the rest.

Cheers, Crowie.

B-Rad keeping up appearances

as always cars start somewhere and like your previous example will be interesting,

if your chasing after a driveline, ill part mine to you :-)

Frist off well done brad great to see you started a build thread mate and yea i would go with the star sharks i think thats the ones on the right would suit the car well i can't wait to see what happens over the coming weeks/months of this build

Carlos why are you wanting to part out NISROLA lol its a awsome car or is it you want more power lol

Frist off well done brad great to see you started a build thread mate and yea i would go with the star sharks i think thats the ones on the right would suit the car well i can't wait to see what happens over the coming weeks/months of this build

Carlos why are you wanting to part out NISROLA lol its a awsome car or is it you want more power lol

My brother also has star sharks so I might sell mine off, The ones on the left are SSR Star Formula's 14 inch rims where as the star sharks are 13's.

Dude this is wicked! I like that you are doing the ke70 wheel arches on a wagon. Keen to see how it turns out. I reckon you might need bigger than 7" to fill out those massive rear guards though.. I suppose it depends on the tyres too.. Did you find it easy enough to weld them up, like was it hard to get them even on both sides?

I hope you keep the square front. Just to be different and I reckon it looks tough when lowered etc..

It will look good white :happy: although I would be tempted to respray red to avoid the interior and engine bay.

Look forward to more progress. :y:

Cheers

Chris

Been thinkin of a different engine combo of late thats all, and the SR will just sit on the ground and there is a Turbo kit was thinkin of slapping on maybe,

I think it would be cool in the wagooon :yes:

Dude this is wicked! I like that you are doing the ke70 wheel arches on a wagon. Keen to see how it turns out. I reckon you might need bigger than 7" to fill out those massive rear guards though.. I suppose it depends on the tyres too.. Did you find it easy enough to weld them up, like was it hard to get them even on both sides?

I hope you keep the square front. Just to be different and I reckon it looks tough when lowered etc..

It will look good white :happy: although I would be tempted to respray red to avoid the interior and engine bay.

Look forward to more progress. :y:

Cheers

Chris

Cheers Chris

Going to try and steer away from crazily stretched tyres to something a bit more subtle and safe, the width the rim I can run also depends on the offset and diameter of wheel and tyre, hoping to run 14's with a 185/55 or 195/50 on the 7's I have at the moment.

ke70 guards were easy to weld on, just marked out the guards the same on both sides and cut them out with a nematic nibbler. A grinder would also do the job, find the centre and line that up with the centre of the old guards. Mark out then cut away the old guards, hold the ke70 guards in place then weld away. They are far from finished, still needs a bit of bog and a sand but I really like the look of them. Will keep the square front for a while, who knows it may grow on me. I believe that the earlier corolla's ke1x-ke5x look better in a light colour, The red is nice but it's not my cup of tea. I'm not to worried about having to paint the interior as I'm replacing all of it.

Been thinkin of a different engine combo of late thats all, and the SR will just sit on the ground and there is a Turbo kit was thinkin of slapping on maybe,

I think it would be cool in the wagooon :yes:

yea well not to steal your build thread crowie55 but yea if i had the time and money i would put something like that into the 55 coupe would be pretty nuts haha but yea money been a problem when it comes to an engine conversion

and yea brad go the SSR formulas then they would look sick on the wagon mate leave them the red as well cause it would suit the white you want to paint the car

and i reckon the star sharks will suit your brothers car well

Edited by Undertaker_is_the_best

and yea brad go the SSR formulas then they would look sick on the wagon mate leave them the red as well cause it would suit the white you want to paint the car

and i reckon the star will suit your brothers car well

My other Formula's showed up today, they are black and look shmick! Might change your mind on keeping the red Chris. I may also just leave the rears red and fronts black for something different, I will have to experiment tomorrow I think.

Update: Sanded back my new tailgate and painted the inside white, and some more bog and sanding going on. pictures of rims, tailgate and rear view of rim attached.

post-9001-064678000 1303985219_thumb.jpg

post-9001-068506800 1303985299_thumb.jpg

post-9001-041869600 1303985376_thumb.jpg