Anyone Done An Ej20G Swap Into A Ke70

Just looking at lots of different things i can put in my KE70... Don't particularly want to go for the SR or CA swaps as they are too common.

The 3sgte was my next choice to keep it toyota but the price and after market support really doesn't make it very appealing.

could do the 13bt swap which would be a bit of fun but its been done to death in NZ and i'm not sure about rotary reliability..

Then when i was standing there today having a gander at my mate's rex i was thinking about how hard it would be getting a EJ20 from a RS or legacy wagon and putting it in the KE70 I have... What gearbox would I need to run for it and has anyone else done this yet i would be interested to see what it came out like?

Members dont see this ad

Have a look at gunners thread, misleadingly titled "Do you have an FT86, because I do". I think if you read the thread, you see he surely does not have an FT86. The motor I expect will fit in the engine bay of an FT86, unlike whats going on there.

He cut the chassis rails and modified the shit out of almost every steel but in the front end to get it to work, and even now its quite a dubious question as to whether the thing will even work once its finished, if it gets finished.

far to much effort, not enough gains, engine not designed to fit.

if i was going to do it (which I'm not), remove majority of front end of corolla, chassis rails, strut towers etc. install engine. re-create front end of car out of tube frame.

then it will fit no dramas.

picture showing sort of what i mean (i can't find any RWD pics)

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/1405/05052009002.jpg

rest of car stock, front end converted to tube frame to allow huge engine to fit.

i would assume you would need a comprehensive roll cage to tie it all in.

if you want to shove a ej20 into something, start with an old leone or brumbie, thats a good sleeper id say;)

These motors make some really good power, just a bugger it gets soaked up in the drive line before it gets to the wheels,

if you want to be different, put a R1, Hayabusa or even a Ducatti 1500cc motor in ya rolla,

make a frame in the engine bay and drop that bad boi in :yes:

yeah after posting this and looking for motors to buy i realized it would be far too wide without major mods.. mods that are far beyond my abilities at the moment. My uncle actually built a trike from scratch (own chassis, own shell etc) and even used the auto box from the EJ20G in NZ, currently trying to bring it over here and it looks absolutely insane.

Definitely wouldn't be worth the work now that i look at it for now... It's a shame really because I like the EJ's

i don't really want to go turbs nissan just because its the new 4ag in terms of what everyone's doing... and i do like NA better.

maybe i should look at beams 3sge with an altezza box? should be more than enough for now/next year when i have the money to do anything

have you driven a n/a ej20?

not all that great unfortunately in my experience.

mate had a stocko 99? impreza, with some sort of exhaust (basic cat back sort of thing)

really really ran out of puff in the higher revs, admitedly nice pull down low though.

maybe some proper headers and some cam shafts would liven it up a bit.

but yeah in my oppinion in stock form certainly not something to write home about. needs a hair dryer on the side for happy fun times.

oh with the EJ I would of used the EJ20G which is the single turbo version out of an RS legacy, i used to have one of those back in NZ and they were awesome.

i just meant the whole SR20DET or CA18DET conversions thing not so much against turbos them selves... i think for now i will get a set of 264 hks cams or maybe the Crower equivelants for my 4age then save some coin and maybe go for the beams swap or 3sgte

haha missed it again i did say i would be using the ej20 turbo which is the ej20g. i just didnt want to use a turbo NISSAN motor because its been done to death just like the 4ag has.

would be nice but yes like you said its too wide and i don't quite have the skill to do that level of custom work yet and i don't exactly have the work space for it right now either..

i guess ill be going 3sge beams or 3sgte, maybe in a year or so when i got a fair bit saved up for those unexpected expenses and Fk ups that occur in projects haha.