Slammed Daily '55

snotyellowke55

Members dont see this ad

looking good Michael, any plans to modify the guards to cover the tread? not sure on the laws down in tassie but up here in QLD the police love booking people for that kind of thing. Although they do give the car a tough stance, even tougher if it goes lower :wink:

Cheers, Crowie

Laws? What Laws? :fuzz:

The cops down here are fairly lenient - as long as you don't have stupid mods like u-bolts scraping on the ground, or springs hacked so much that you're riding on bump stops. That being said I've got some 3" blocks to go in the rear, and a mate of mine has a guard roller. I shouldn't have to pump the guards out too much if I lower it just to the tip of the guard. Now its time to find suitable springs... I could always chop, but I've seen too much dodgy shit to consider that now :wink:

Next mod: TULS sticker from Uni (Tasmanian University Law Society) to stick directly above my exhaust tip, just in case the :fuzz: think about giving me shit, hahaha :wink:

Now I want camber (funny how modifying these things is more addictive than heroin) - does anybody know the deal with Sigma control arms and '55s? I know the KSev boys have probably snapped them all up but...

In addition to exams, the project is on hold for another reason as of today...

Driving along, something went bang, and My clutch is 98% useless. Clutch only engages when I have the pedal slammed to the floor, and even then I need to rev its tits off (as you would double clutching but even higher) to be able to shift.

Here's hoping it's only a minor setback such as clutch cable or spigot bearing. I babied it home today, and it'll probably be sitting idle for a few weeks until I get the time to sort it out. Back to using the Soarer as a daily now - $$$

Lol, I originally had 165/70s put on there by a bloke at the tyre shop. The owner came out and went nuts when he saw that they were going on 13x7's. Insisted he put 175s on there and refused to fit them to the car, grizzling about liability etc. I have a mate with the same rims running 145/60s, hahaha :dance:

Clutch cable issue only ended up being a dodgy hose clamp the previous owner had utilised. I was soon to find out I have minimal meat left on the plate, but until it slips I'm not worried yet.

why would you bother with 145/60's, will be having so much fun with all the grip he's getting.

Must be a show pony?

Usually better off putting tyres on yourself then taking them to get balanced all whilst it's off the car then they don't know anything.

Can't say I've actually been in it to be sure. That being said, it does look very very cool with all the other mods he's done to it. I don't think performance is a key factor in bosozoku styling, but I'm happy with the outcome of my wheel and tyre choice - even so that I am unsure whether I want to whitewall them still.

Yeah I would have preferred to have bought the tyres themselves and fit them, then have them balanced, but I don't have the time at the moment. At the end of the day it worked out well, and I ended up getting a cheaper deal due to the time they took changing around all the sets :lolcry:

• 2 weeks later...

So it looks like the car will be dumped over the next 2 weeks. My blog poll results also clearly reflect the need to do this :blush:

Thought I'd do it 'the right way' (as opposed to choppie chops), and bought a set of Pedders lowered springs off a forum member, thanks Matt :y:

These will be fitted with 3" blocks in the rear, so I'll have to have the springs in the front recompressed at a suspension shop. From my enquiries, this will not be a problem :cool: Looking forward to riding low and slow. The blog poll also reflected an interest in a bosozoku style exhaust, so the next poll will be re. what style of pipe to fabricate :wink:

Quick update:

Today I decided to fix up the Rev 1. KE30 grille from under the house, and treated it to copious amounts of fibreglass, silicone, and sanding, then after a decent amount of wax and grease remover, it was coated liberally with 3 coats of Gunmetal Metallic Flake enamel. To finish off, I sprayed on a few coats of high gloss clearcoat. The results speak for themselves - it looks pretty pimp.

To finish off I also gave the original headlight buckets some TLC by sanding them out, getting rid of the surface rust, and giving them a few coats of the same paint. All that will be visible from the exterior is a tiny bit of metal behind the chrome trims, but I figured I had to kill the rust anyway, and they came up very nicely.

I have located some original chrome headlight rings which are in dire need of a good polish, and the original "C" badge is begging to be rechromed. After this, it is a bolt-in affair for the conversion. To top it off, brand new sealed beams will be used.

246842_10150277671324740_558114739_9109415_3024336_n.jpg

248977_10150277671684740_558114739_9109419_6067093_n.jpg

Will have another poll running on the blog soon re. the style of exhaust to go for. Cheers.

248744_10150277669134740_558114739_9109388_7503707_n.jpg

I am a shit planker...

Today I got around to fitting the rev.1 KE30 grille and twin headlights. Whilst straightforward, the conversion required cutting off the old brackets which supported the old square-headlight buckets with an angle grinder. Various guides on here noted they can be bashed back / bent, but cutting them gave nice, ample clearance for the new buckets (note: no turning back now!).

248262_10150281563539740_558114739_9157306_1029559_n-1.jpg

247089_10150280803119740_558114739_9149640_7439260_n.jpg

Despite the need for the front badge (about to be chromed), the KE is starting to look the part.

I had a love/hate relationship with the square lights and 80's-to-the-max honeycomb grille, but the rev.1 KE30 front end suits the rest of the body shape down to a tee. Cosmetically, this is all I have planned for the car, save for some fender mirrors which still need to be installed, and the front quarter panel which still sits in primer from the previous owner!

Exams are done now, so modifying will be paramount whenver I get the time / parts. Some lowered front springs are on the way, as is a 32/26 Weber carby.

I have however picked up another toy - a Huffy Slider! A lucky find, considering these things have been discontinued and haven't been stocked in KMart since 2010. Stay tuned.