Slammed Daily '55

snotyellowke55

Members dont see this ad

Oh no! Houston, we have a planker. Hehe :happy:

Some good progress here. Always like checking this thread. Can't wait to see it lowered over those rims, will look pretty fat!

Cheers mate. I can't wait either - it's the next thing to be done as soon as my lowered Pedders arrive :happy: Only an inch lower though, so one coil is getting the chop, or they'll be recompressed.

SO when is the exhaust being done?? needs moar crazy than a gook cannon :P , it's about time somebody on here did a boso style car :D

After suspension, paint and fender mirrors are installed :wink: I am running a poll on my blog right now man, so go vote on the style you'd prefer to see (personally I'd be keen for a double-slashcut 'zorst on a 45 degree angle :cool:

haha i got two huffy sliders there the bomb

Dead set man, they're insane. I sourced some green machine wheels from a mate in VIC, I now have 4 pairs! I'm selling 2, so let me know if you want any. They're a nice upgrade.

You'll have to join me on the hills some time :wink:

Damn straight I will! There's a small cult following down in Hobart, proportionate to the population :lolcry:

Actually quite a few mates grabbed some when they were being sold at KMart (before the soft cocks put a halt to stocking them!), but only a couple still go out and slide. Mt. Wellington here would be insane, as would Strickland Avenue nearby, but we'll have to head there early in the morning to avoid traffic and possible sudden death :wink:

Hahaha. Just bought a full-faced motorbike helmet (note, not moto helmet, full on race helmet!). I anticipate crashing into a rock wall at the springs, or sliding off the edge of the organ pipes :lolcry:

You from Launnie yeah? I'll let you know if something happens man, it'll be worth the trip down!

• 1 month later...

I use a full face motor bike helmet myself, it's not the walls or trees I'm worried about, it's the oncoming traffic :P

As long as work doesn't get in the way I'll definitely make the trip down, I'll see how much camera gear I can organise too :yes:

Me too, hence the use of a motorbike helmet now too :lolcry: One way roads are the goods - we tackled the Southern Outlet (note, major highway from Kingston into Hobart, 80km/h zone, one way with a massive concrete divider on one side and a run-off pit and massive hill on the other, hahaha). At 3am in the morning however it wasn't as dangerous as it sounds, with only one car passing us and laughing his royal titties off.

Not much progress KE-wise - most time has been spent preparing the JZZ30 for sale, and battling through exams. Final semester now, which means another 6 months before I need to stop playing with my toys and find a grad position / start my legal practitioners course.

I'm still thinking I could happily take clients to court in a KE55 riding on bumpstops, with a bosozoku-style tailpipe sticking 3 metres up in the air, but I need to get this project moving on.

Stay tuned, video build is also in progress and is looking good so far

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It has been months since I updated, but rest assured I havent lost faith in the project. Exams are in 2 weeks from now, then graduation, so 3 months off then until I start legal prac and have to start behaving like an adult (a little bit :dance:)

Not a great deal has been done regarding mods.

Got some pimpin' racks from the tipshop (thule ones too!) - $5 :lolcry:

262525_10150332137639740_558114739_9601737_2261141_n.jpg

Scored a tranny cooler from an old falcon to use as a front mounted oil cooler

100_7044.jpg

And picked up some cheapie airhorns from e-gay and mounted them to strap, just for a bit of fun (and pedestrian scareage!)

198814_10150335102924740_558114739_9636252_4353585_n.jpg

Finally sorted out some components to lower the car properly - the u-bolts which came with the kit (ke55 specific) were about 10mm too wide either side! Is there a major difference between the borgie and jap diffs? Anyway this is sorted, along with a set of kings. Some short stroke shocks will be on the cards soon so I don't end up rupturing my kidneys everytime I encounter a minor bump

• 2 months later...

Time to revive this thread! Now I have finished my final exams and I've finally graduated, I have had the opportunity to get some serious work done. The '55 now sits 3" lower in the front thanks to some recompressed Pedders sports rider springs. The front guards and beaver panel have also been resprayed in the original Toyota 'AZ / buff'. I also had the chance to install some fender mirrors while the guards were off. It is really beginning to look the part (finally) with the new stance, and now that the car is actually the one colour.

387284_10150530216044740_558114739_10750239_840751981_n.jpg

379032_10150530215079740_558114739_10750233_208805197_n.jpg

The next mod is truly a love or hate thing. I picked up a KE30 rear bar for $5, though I probably paid $4.95 too much for it. Described to me first as "surface rust" before pickup, when it came to purchasing the bar, it featured rust holes the size of a 50c piece, hardly any decent chrome to speak of, deep scratches, random paint, and general neglect. So where's the attraction? - It was straight (at least structurally). It was beyond repair, and could never be brought back to its former glory, but I thought I could do something with it. With some rust-kill, spot welding and filler, primer, a red basecoat, 20 sheets of "JDM EBay special" stickers/decals, and about 3 layers of clearcoat, I had a go at "stickerbombing" - a major love/hate trend, I'll admit, but I am of the opinion it can be done tastefully. Here's the result:

392680_10150530217454740_558114739_10750250_1930976514_n.jpg

It is a love/hate thing indeed. It might look out of place now, but it will suit the overall look of the car eventually... Still beats the stock bar with ruined end caps, or a KE30 bar full of rust. I've given up on finding overrated KE30 bars - it simply will not happen :cool:

Next up: Lower the rear with the 3" blocks so it doesnt look like a flatbed. Rear guards still need a lot of work, but that'll happen in good time.

Edited by snotyellowke55

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update. Whilst I'm not losing faith or interest in this project, I will consider wrapping it up soon as I start legal practice in two week.

For now, an unforeseen hold-up. Last week driving home I ended up stranded, though luckily one street down from my house. Initially I thought the worst - head gasket - as a mountain of steam poured out the back of my car and the temperature gauge rose. Being the preventative, pedantic driver I am, having had bad past experiences with my Soarer and Bluebird, the latter car rendered ruined due to overheating, and a warped head + block, I switched the car off immediately, and babied it home with a mate and a tow rope.

The initial diagnosis proved wrong - the head is still perfectly sealed, and I was dumbfounded as to why there was in fact steam coming out of the engine bay rather than being combusted, not to mention the car was not holding water whatsoever, even whilst switched off. I then discovered water leaking onto the starter motor, and dripping down directly onto the exhaust. Using a mirror, I found the cause of my problems - a leaky and badly corroded welsh plug.

leaky+plug.jpg

Not content with the prospect of paying a silly amount of labor to have a $3 part replaced, I went and bought 3x35mm plugs, and 3x45mm plugs, and some loctite sealant, and removed the carburettor, and manifolds (all on the passenger side). Most of the time when a welsh plug goes, it is an engine-out job, but the beaty of the '55 is the 4K is so damn small, ample room is left for bashing out the old plugs, and replacing them. A few hours, and a lot of swearing and cursing saw the carb and manifolds off, plugs replaced, and car up and running once more.

Next stop, VHT dye the interior matte black, a custom LED + stickerbombed dash facia (tastefully I assure you, and on a spare facia so it can be replaced with a stockie), LED cluster conversion, and maybe then I'll consider prepping my beast for sale. I have another project in mind in the very near future - the words Lexus, GS300, and VIP are relevant here :cool: