El31. The Other Other '86 Corolla

20v4agteEL31

Hi Guys,

Have just started fixing this up so I'll keep updating as i go.

All the good stuff done by previous owners, 20v silver top head, GZE bottom end,

GT35r Turbo, Mr2 gearbox, custom driveshafts,intercooler and intake, Haltech E6K, etc...

theres probably still a write up on it on here from the guy that built it.

Anyway, its been sitting for a while so i've started working on the maintenance bits to make it

streetable and reliable again.

Crashed an EP82 last year so I'm stealing bits from that. The front struts were shagged

but with little gentle pursuasion, the ep82 struts, which were less than 12 months old,

fitted up nicely.

The battery was just sitting behind the passenger seat, so i bought an odyssey 925 and a mounting

bracket for it, no pics of that yet as I havent finished it. I'll look into the alternator and

starter motor next as i've only started the thing a handful of times and its starting to get flat

already.

post-13548-0-90201300-1306211677_thumb.jpg

playing around with front lights as the front indicators and parkers pretty much don't exist anywhere

this is a combination of Narva, Nissan and Subaru parts.

post-13548-0-18896100-1306211661_thumb.jpg

Fitted one of the wheels off the starlet to test, seemed ok front and rear. Also the rear lights

are covered in that spray on tint crap. Hence the difference from left to right as I attempt to sand

and polish the hell out of them.

post-13548-0-56191200-1306211639_thumb.jpg

well thats it so far. Got rid of all the colourful bits here and there. either black or silver now.

seems a fairly strong engine and gearbox package of what i've drive it so far, should be a fun little

project.

That said, if anyone knows anyone with parts for one of these, eg indicators, body panels, interior bits,

i'd love to become their friend as these simply don't exist anywhere. cheers

Edited by 20v4agteEL31

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Andrew.

I've always liked the look of these, we have a couple running around my area (all in bad shape).

I like that you got the plastics back to black... why do people do shit like that?? It never looks good having a few bright bits of plastic in a black interior!

Not so keen on the round lights in the front bar... no way of fitting 1 rectangle light to fill the spot?

Maybe a pair of those yellow looking foglights? :hmm:

Hi Andrew.

I've always liked the look of these, we have a couple running around my area (all in bad shape).

I like that you got the plastics back to black... why do people do shit like that?? It never looks good having a few bright bits of plastic in a black interior!

Not so keen on the round lights in the front bar... no way of fitting 1 rectangle light to fill the spot?

Maybe a pair of those yellow looking foglights? :hmm:

yeah those round lights i just had lying around, they were dummy fitted in there. I do have the originals, but they are shabby and replacements are like hens teeth. Going to keep looking for them along with parkers and indicators. The front bar on it now is off an 89 model apparently so the indicator and foglight setup is larger. still just as rare in this country though. But hey, we drive older cars, finding parts is what we do.

was this for sale on here, or ebay recently? I recall it's got a claimed high horsey figure?

Cool nonetheless. And even cooler that the yellow bits are no more, that's some 90s fast fours shit right there.

Yes more than likely. I saw it on boostcruising and instantly took the horsepower claim with a grain of salt. There is also a claimed quarter mile time getting around too. But anyway, went for a look and even with a few years of neglect, it runs really well. Someone has spent some money at some stage but I won't be claiming any figures until I have dyno sheets or lap times to back it up.

Really looking forward to spending some quality time on this one.

• 3 weeks later...

should have an update with pics for this over the weekend. Will be taking the alternator out for refurb or replacement, brand new battery is flat already so I reckon this is to blame. I'll see if I can find a distribution block for the battery relocation as it looks shit just all hanging off one bolt with electrical tape around it (not how I would have done it). Also want to move the circuit breaker closer to the battery just in case.

Might take a trip to autobarn and grab a catch can seeing as both the breathers in the rocker cover are just hoses leading to nowhere.

So if I get these things done, i'll throw the dvd head unit and stereo bits from the starlet in to fill up the holes and have a look at relocating the aftermarket gauges from the top of the dash to somewhere more subtle and Constable friendly.

Hi,

This is a very nice car :)

I had the experence of running in this thing when it was owned by Matt in Ipswich (he let it get a bit worse for wear:( ) But VERY VERY fast. Car used to live in Ipswich. bit of history on it from what I know....

Engine was built by Buzz engines, I take it you got the engine build reciepts with the car? And when I last saw this thing at full song it was making 450HP at the wheels with around 30PSI crazy numbers for a 4age. All internals forged and blueprinted well built car.

Also this car was entered in a race at Queensland raceway one year at power cruise. This thing was taking on cameros with massive V8's and leaving them for dead.

But must ask does the car still have the launch controll in it? Used to get off the line pretty fast with this but think it was taken out by Matt.

Cameron

Edited by camerondownunder88

Hi,

This is a very nice car :)

I had the experence of running in this thing when it was owned by Matt in Ipswich (he let it get a bit worse for wear:( ) But VERY VERY fast. Car used to live in Ipswich. bit of history on it from what I know....

Engine was built by Buzz engines, I take it you got the engine build reciepts with the car? And when I last saw this thing at full song it was making 450HP at the wheels with around 30PSI crazy numbers for a 4age. All internals forged and blueprinted well built car.

Also this car was entered in a race at Queensland raceway one year at power cruise. This thing was taking on cameros with massive V8's and leaving them for dead.

But must ask does the car still have the launch controll in it? Used to get off the line pretty fast with this but think it was taken out by Matt.

Cameron

Cheers Cameron. Very informative. You are the first person I have spoken to that has been in this car when it was tuned properly.

Yes i did get build receipts with it but like I said earlier in the thread, took the HP claims with a grain of salt seeing as I haven't seen a dyno printout. There is an unmarked button on the console thats directly hooked up to the haltech, I'm yet to get a pin diagram for the computer and figure out what it does but this could possibly be the launch control you speak of. The guy I bought it from was no help with this. But what driving I have done in it so far, it does promise to be a bit of a handful. I'll have to have a hunt around and see if i can find some footage or a write up of it being in power cruise. Cheers for that.