Turbo Zze122

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard of any turbo 1ZZ-FE's. I'm not saying they're not out there, I'm just saying I haven't heard of them.

A Unichip will be completely useless as it's not an ECU, it's just a piggyback chip for your standard ECU. It only makes minor adjustments and won't be any good for forced induction or any major work on your engine (eg. long duration or high lift cams).

A turbo'd 1ZZ-FE would be mega expensive, as you'd have to get a custom exhaust system made up with a flange for a turbo. You might have to upgrade the fuel system to cope with the extra power, and you may want to look into intercooling. Plus you'd need a programmable ECU (eg. Wolf, Microtec, etc). As well as all this, you'd need to drop the compression ratio from 10.0:1 as it comes from the factory, to around 8.0:1. This means you'll need custom pistons (forged would be good). So you're looking at at least $8,000 in parts plus whatever labour will be. As this will be a custom job, labour costs will be high as there will be a lot of fine-tuning required, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if the whole setup cost around $10,000 fitted - minimum.

Instead I'd be looking into the TRD Supercharger Kit for the 1ZZ-FE. You can get a kit from Toysport in the US for US$2,550 (I don't know, about AUS$3,500) plus shipping. So let's say for about $5,000 MAXIMUM you could get one of these kits and probably get it installed too. You can download the install manual from the TRD USA website, so you can either do it yourself or give the kit and the manual to a mechanic and pay them to do it. On 7.5psi of boost you gain 35hp and 20lb/ft, so it's up to you whether you think it's worth it.

As an owner of a ZZE122R Corolla hatch, I'd suggest getting a good suspension setup before I go for more power, as the standard one (although I have got stiffer lowered springs) is crap and results in a lot of power going to only one wheel a lot of the time. Go to Whiteline site and buy a proper sports kit. You'll actually accelerate a bit quicker as a result of more traction, and you'll corner MUCH better.

I'm partway through piecing together a turbo conversion for the 1ZZ at the moment, two tried and tested ECU solutions in the US are the Greddy Emanage with optional MAP sensor, ignition and injector harness, or the Apexi powerFC.

don't forget your fuel system mods too, we've converted the system to a return style setup with external fuel pressure regulator, another metal fuel line from the tank for the return, a modified fuel pump housing with walbro 255 pump and return fitting, and JZX100 1JZGTE injectors (high impedance top feed). A lot of the turbo 1zz guys in the us use 2ZZ injectors, but they're easy to max out once the boost bug bites.

Wiesco do pistons, the stock rods will take 15psi without trouble as the ring lands on the stock pistons are the first thing to go usually. So $800 for forged pistons with rings, another $400 for the VRS kit (genuine is best), $80 to clean and hone the block, then reassemble yourself following the instructions in the service manual here:

http://www.rollamods.com/witzl/Corolla_service.iso

or pay an engine shop $1K to assemble it.

While the motor's out, purchase a TRD LSD secondhand from one of the importers for a few hundred, and take it along with your box to a gearbox shop for installation ($200-500 depending on what parts they break)

A steampipe log style manifold is cheap to make (400ish) and secondhand S15BB or WRX TD04L's are cheap too ($200-500), we got a 400km old TD04L for $250 Shipped.

I already have the wrx turbo and are in the process of making

the intake manifold from steem pipe I'm going to mount the turbo obove the gearbox.

I have a workshop that is willing to try a uni chip then replace it with emanage if it wont work at no extra charge.

I am only going to run low boost between 5-7 So do you think the air flow meter will do or do you definatly need to go map sensor?

I'd say the MAF will get maxed out pretty early, it's close to 5V (4.7...) at full throttle in NA form from what we've datalogged with the emanage. I'd personally go with the emanage over the unichip as it's more flexable and you're not locked into "unichip" workshops if you need it tuned. The datalogging and maptracing on the emanage is nice too.

I'm not sure how they'd map for positive manifold pressure with the unichip through the MAF, they might just do something dodgey like a rising rate fuel pressure regulator (if they convert to return-style) or map TPS V's RPM which is also not optimal. The reason for the additional MAP sensor on the emanage is so you can map for positive manifold pressure (boost)

Yeah I don't know of many in australia but in america it looks like there is plenty.

I am setting it all up on a old engine that a have access to. Which makes it alote easier i will take some work in progress photo's soon so you can see what it looks like, as once its in the car it will be hard to see. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

heres one i fitted for a friend, its in a zze123 corolla levin. the turbo's a td04 wrx run through a front mount intercooler & running a e-manage computer. it got dyno at 230hp at the wheels at 10psi boost with no engine work done. the only thing i would change is the computa for a Link or Motec or something like that as we had alot or problems getting e-manage to work with the toyota computa

post-451-1134981289_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know of any stand alone computer that can run a 1ZZ/2ZZ due to the odd number of teeth on the pickup, a second odd numbered pick up on the cam, and the constantly variable cam timing with separate lift control. I have heard of turbo 1ZZs around, using the factory ECU for everything cept fuel (and possibly timing) and a piggyback. Problem is, the ZZ toyota ecu knows absolutely everything, it knows oil pressure, cam position, catalytic convertor quality!! mixtures, monitors feedback from all ignitors, it measures knock on individual cylinders etc. 'son of a bitch is doug in like an Alabama tick' Thanks Schwatzenegga!