Ke70 Rebuild

so i found another ke70 thats unrego ed but has low k's and based on the pics looks ok they want 400 for it but i was just wondering how hard is it to rebuild a car back to rego ableness? haha and what do i need to pay specific attention to when looking at a car that i plan on doing this to?

cheers again youre all awesome

Members dont see this ad

What state are you in? I swear it's heaps easy getting a roadworthy in NSW...

Just make sure you've got no leaks/tears/breaks/major rust/worn parts and you should be sweat, if you do, then replace that part. Tyres are probably the most expensive part that you may have to replace for roadworthy, definitely check those, but it's usually annoying little stuff like broken rack boots or a worn bush. If you've got tools and a little bit of know-how it should be easy :y:

I have no real idea how it works outside NSW, but I think in Queensland the person selling the car has to get the roadworthy certificate, or at least is supposed to, so you shouldn't really have any hassles if you are registering it in QLD, which rules.

Edited by rianwest

What state are you in? I swear it's heaps easy getting a roadworthy in NSW...

Just make sure you've got no leaks/tears/breaks/major rust/worn parts and you should be sweat, if you do, then replace that part. Tyres are probably the most expensive part that you may have to replace for roadworthy, definitely check those, but it's usually annoying little stuff like broken rack boots or a worn bush. If you've got tools and a little bit of know-how it should be easy :y:

I have no real idea how it works outside NSW, but I think in Queensland the person selling the car has to get the roadworthy certificate, or at least is supposed to, so you shouldn't really have any hassles if you are registering it in QLD, which rules.

haha I'm in sydney, yeah i have tools and this forum gives me the know how cause everyones so helpful haha yeah well I'm desperate for one so i might just do that haha ive got tyres already so should be golden, what about rust whats the deal how do i know how much is too much?

if rust caueses a hole in the car, or it looks bloody aweful, it is fround uppon.

i had 5c sized hole in the rear of my ke70, they wouldnt let it through because "it could let fumes into the cabin"

i pointed at the open from window...but got a blank stare.

for a RWC it needs to be up to scratch, good tyres, no rust, all mechanics working like they should, no loose suspension parts (ie busted ball joints etc)

essentially the car needs to be worthy of traveling on the road...

you could get an RACQ inspection on it.

but if its rust free, id be looking at

oil leaks

leaking rear brake cylinders (they always do it)

cracked rubber brake lines

cracked suspension bushes

siezed or floppy shocks

chopped springs

f@$ked centre bearing on driveshaft (about 150) common thing to pack in too

sticky front brakes

handbrake needing adjustment

faulty lights

worn brake pads

worn out ball joints

thats about all i can think of.

to be honest, if your doing the work yourself, expect to spend around a grand to get it roadworthy :)

expect to spend around a grand to get it roadworthy

I'd agree- a $400 car will be pretty bad, and if it was easy to get rego they would have done it.

Take a look, but don't take your money with you! If you can weld panels in then look at rusty ones, but otherwise have at least $1200 in your pocket and find a nice auto. Its cheaper and easier to do the manual conversion that to fix a rusty body or replace everything in a manual that has been thrashed by a part-time night drifter on his 'P's.

How much bodywork can you do, and how much mechanical stuff can you do??

Have a look in Gumtree- 5 in Sydney from $500 parts car to $2500 immaculate 130,000km ones. Make some lowball offers on the ones with rego.

Avoid the one with the parts car, .and the "no rego, chopped springs" one.

It doesn't look like a good time to buy one right now- They are either rubbish or over $1500. How about looking out of town and travelling to see one. The inland ones don't rust.... even the wrecker here has better bodies than some of those for sale.

i bought a 400 dollar ke70 a few yrs ago.

figured i could do it cheaper that way.

i was sort of half right. i got it on the road for about an extra 400-500 (brakes, steering rack, few other bits and peices)

mechanical parts are cheap for these cars, what is the killer is body work. VERY expensive to pay someone to do it, and time consuming to DIY it. i did a dodgy repair on some rust to get it passed RWC, that has come back now though. luckily its already RWC'd ;)

i should have bought a nicer car to start with though, would have saved alot of trouble.

i saw that one, was very muchly considering it, with the manual conversion ive never done something that big before...would i need a hoist? i do like that one though I'm just worried if i buy an auto and spend the money, i wont be able to convert it and ill be stuck with an auto car haha i dunno do you think its possible to do it on my own? and safely? i mean i kinda know some stuff but I'm more then willing to learn as well but i don't really have anyone that can help me do it haha

I'd agree- a $400 car will be pretty bad, and if it was easy to get rego they would have done it.

Take a look, but don't take your money with you! If you can weld panels in then look at rusty ones, but otherwise have at least $1200 in your pocket and find a nice auto. Its cheaper and easier to do the manual conversion that to fix a rusty body or replace everything in a manual that has been thrashed by a part-time night drifter on his 'P's.

How much bodywork can you do, and how much mechanical stuff can you do??

Have a look in Gumtree- 5 in Sydney from $500 parts car to $2500 immaculate 130,000km ones. Make some lowball offers on the ones with rego.

Avoid the one with the parts car, .and the "no rego, chopped springs" one.

It doesn't look like a good time to buy one right now- They are either rubbish or over $1500. How about looking out of town and travelling to see one. The inland ones don't rust.... even the wrecker here has better bodies than some of those for sale.

oh and as far as how much bodywork...no welding but ive replaced some panels thats about it and mechanical...everything that doesnt involve a hoist haha

what do you think of this one?

If its a great conversion & worth a lot of money why does it have..

engine needs a tune

When you could spend a few hundred bucks and have it making peak power AND have a dyno chart to sell it with.

Manual conversion is easy, although time consuming. We bought an auto to get a great granny car & converted to 5speed. I think that is where the best cars usually are now, no-one flogs an auto at the night drags..

Just a jack on the garage floor... You ideally need to buy a wrecked or complete manual car as a donor, and then part it out, or buy the box/driveshaft/flywheel/oedal box & clutch cable & fittings.

How to do it is in here-

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/42407-the-girls-ke70/page__p__445727__fromsearch__1#entry445727

If its a great conversion & worth a lot of money why does it have..

When you could spend a few hundred bucks and have it making peak power AND have a dyno chart to sell it with.

Manual conversion is easy, although time consuming. We bought an auto to get a great granny car & converted to 5speed. I think that is where the best cars usually are now, no-one flogs an auto at the night drags..

Just a jack on the garage floor... You ideally need to buy a wrecked or complete manual car as a donor, and then part it out, or buy the box/driveshaft/flywheel/oedal box & clutch cable & fittings.

How to do it is in here-

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/42407-the-girls-ke70/page__p__445727__fromsearch__1#entry445727

yeah ive seen that story before, that girls pretty lucky haha does she still have the car?

I'm going to go see that auto one tomorrow or thursday and work out some stuff cheers again for your help ill post something here when it finally happens haha