Teddy Is Still Desciding On An Engine

Teddy

Hello all

Well, I'm still researching engines and all that goes along with it.

As every 1 knows by now, i would think later on down the track i would want somting Slightly more powerfull than a 4k !, But I'm not sure what....

After reading MANY articles on engines, and what people have done to there cars etc, i would think i could get a good setup for about 2500 / 3000.

13B, 12B turbo, 4ge, 4azge.... the list is endless.

As long as the TOTAL COST is unda about $3000 (that encludes everything so i can get in and drive it away)

If you were in my feet, what would you do / be looking for ?

All positive and negitive feedback welcomed.

I have not Pm'ed people because i would like a range of oppinions, because thats usually the better than just 1 oppinion.

Cheers,

Teddy

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want everything done properly I think your only option for that budget would be a 4AGE or 4AGZE. By the time you get the engine and related bits to make it fit, give everything a freshen up, maybe even some mild work etc, you'd already be looking at more than $1000. Factor in another $1000 for exhaust, wiring and other bits that actually connect to the engine, and easily another $1000 for maybe a different diff and LSD or something. You could blow $3000 away really quickly, I know I've blown away almost $8K on my 4AGE KE35 without even blinking an eye, and I'm not even finished yet.

i agree with demuire....4AGE or 4AGZE....personally i'd start with the gze. You'll have plenty of fun with it. Nothing like dropping it at 4-5k at the lights and just squigling down the street :|

but seriously,

-its a fairly tough engine that can take a beating

-makes decent power in standard form

-plenty can be done to extract more power from them

-perfect platform if you decide to go turbo down the track

-relatively cheap compared to others

imo i think 3k would get the motor in for you and from there you can play with different ideas...but you know once you start you can never finish :)

inital costing for my conversion is around 3.5-4k...but i can think of at least another 10k's worth of work i could do to it...its all relative to what you want.

is this going to be your daily driver?

Well Teddy, before you start to panic, $3K will get a 4AGZE in your car if you're prepared to do a fair bit of work yourself (or have mates who will). It's just how well it will be done that's the question.

Realistically, you should be able to get your engine and gearbox for $1K or less. Say "other bits" like wires, crossmember, engineering, exhaust - another $1K. That still leaves you with $1K to play with and make the install "better". Because you're starting from a KE70, it should be a bit easier (and cheaper) than what I've had to do because you can use AE71 bits and AE86 bits instead of having to fabricate everything from scratch.

I think you'll find 12A-t and 13B-t will end up a fair bit more than your expecting. A mild 12A-t with block, turbo, manifolds, injectors goes for $2200. Then you need a gearbox, custom tail shaft (because you will chew universals for lunch), new diff if you plan to accually bring it on boost, loom and ecu, new fuel pumps and surge tank...the list goes on. The you need the brake upgrades to make it legal.

Id be steering away from rotarys...great motor...tad expensive.

4A IMHO are too expensive for what they are.

Ive got my heart set on a CA18DET (ok so its datsun...) with a T25g turbo, RB30E(T) VL gearbox, RB injectors. Fingers crossed I can have it putting out about 200rwhp in the long run. Probably more like 160/70 straight out.

I'm expecting that to cost me a tad over a grand. Things like exhaust, intercooler piping and turbos are what kill your budget.

And you plan to street this? Hate to be the one to tell you but its gonna be highly illegal. Not 100% sure but I think a 13B is too. For registration purposes Rotarys capacity is doubled. SO a 20B is gonna be 4L...which is above the Literage limit imposed on vehicles weighing less than X amount. I know a 13B isnt legal for a KE20...unsure about KE70s...perhaps its legal

I think we all need to return back to the fact that Teddy would like to get this done for under $3K.

And no, Teddy - putting a bigger fuel tank in your car is not going to make it legal to put a bigger engine in. It takes a lot more than that. Basically the engine is regarded as "too big" because your car is too light. Making your car heavier (by means of fuel tank or whatever) will also require the necessary body/chassis strengthening etc to go with it, not to mention the enormous brake upgrades required to handle the power.

Even if you do manage to somehow get it engineered and roadworthied through a less than responsible engineer, I don't think you'd want to drive it until you signed a will and wrote a goodbye letter to everyone - it'll be a death trap.

lol hell yeah.

Arr Think of the possibilities :|

I think a nicely ported 12a would do you quite well...

I like nicks idea, but i don't think it would cost unda 3K. I Had this dream last night that ben or fook or some 1 (can't remember) was doing burnouts outside our house in a 2.2 L Liberty Turbo - lol - don't ask me why !!

That made me think - 2.2L Libery turbo in a corolla - Mwhahahaha lol

Nar, i wanta stick toyota here :)