Teddy Is Still Desciding On An Engine

Teddy

Your best bet would be a GZE. With a AE70 crossmember it would bolt in, then your only problem would be sourcing a Clutch master cylinder and T-50 to go behind it. Give it some fuel, give it some spark and off you go. I think you will find the power output more than adequate in such a light car but there also many options for power upgrades. Bigger pulley, turbo, etc. But once you start upping the power output you have to look at other areas like gearboxes and diffs as they will become weak points. And its no fun having all that power but never being able to use it because your popping boxes and shitting axles every other week.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And no, Teddy - putting a bigger fuel tank in your car is not going to make it legal to put a bigger engine in. It takes a lot more than that. Basically the engine is regarded as "too big" because your car is too light. Making your car heavier (by means of fuel tank or whatever) will also require the necessary body/chassis strengthening etc to go with it, not to mention the enormous brake upgrades required to handle the power.

I don't think you can make the car "heavier". Its all based on the manufacturers kerb weight.

Theres a few around

Gina Bullians New Zealand KE70 4AGZE 20v turbo 11.44 123mph

theres a few KE1x and other earlier corollas with 4A-GEs around. Do some searching...you will find them.

For example I found a guy just finishing up a CA18DET conversion in a KE70 when I was looking for inspiration.

• 2 months later...

Teddy, i would consult with insurance companies before doing any mods, then talk to an engineer.

a young bloke with a heavily modified car is going to have hassles when it comes to finding insurance. it will be expensive. expect to pay $300+ yearly for 3rd party property, $600+ yearly for 3rd party fire and theft.

u need insurance, at least to cover the other car if you stuff up.

if you can hack the cost of insurance go for it. just something to keep in mind, probably the last thing a lot of people consider when it comes to modding a car.

i would recommend joining a car club and doing a few motorkhanas. you will quickly see where money is best spent. handling and consistency is far more important than outright power. just watch fook in pinky or mumblezzz :)

go the gze. they have potloads of torque in standard form and with an ae71 cross member they are easy to fit yourself and provided you or mates do lots of the work yourself $3000 will be just enough for a safe and powerful install.

this sounds familar, people always talk about putting all these superfast motors in their car, toymods is full of them "you wait till i get my 20v/gze/turbo" and they end up driving round in something with an exhaust and some big wheels. i'm not saying you're like that, i don't really know you, but when someone starts using the phrases "13b turbo, 4agze, ca18det" in the same sentence, i put my skeptical hat on

dude you're only young, you've just started driving. i personally don't think many teenagers have the skill to handle much over 100hp in a car as light as these. and i can remember how much money i just totally wasted when i started doing a car up

if i were you, i wouldn't even dream of starting out spending that much money on a car straight up, and getting some ridiculous amount of power that quite frankly, i think is too much when you don't have a whole heap of driving experience. don't worry, we were all young once, i'm not really much better at controlling a sliding car now than i was when i was 16 :) and going from no power (stock old 4k) to lots of power (gze/13bt/etc) is just dangerous

i would recommend doing small improvements that are really worth it - such as making your suspension really nice, and upgrading your brakes, do a nice interior and stereo if they are important to you - then do a little bit of work to the original motor, gradually learn to drive your car better as you add more power to it. so you're not going to beat any cars at the lights, who gives a shit, it's about you learning about vehicle modification, not some other guy being pissed cos his car sucks

get into the awesome weekend race scene you guys have up there - you are SO LUCKY you have all this awesome car modification going on like, NEXT DOOR, i am well jealous - look and learn at what all sorts of different people are doing. after a while, you'll probably have an idea of what your driving style is like, what matters to you and can direct your several thousand dollars in that direction for a motor and further improvements if required

i'm not meaning to bag you ted, far from it, your enthusiasm is excellent and you're going the right way about learning well and not being at all silly about it as most young just-started-driving people are. i can remember being in your shoes, and what i spent on my first ideas, which was so much money for so little gain, and how much trouble i can guarantee you i would have got myself in if i had anything near the power of a force inducted motor. and how i wish now, that i'd done alot of things differently

but that's just my 2c, you did ask :D i'll finish with some tips for building a tough corolla:

- i think motor is personal preference and bank balance. get any motor built properly for a purpose and it's going to last. you will learn that things like winged sumps and good fuel/spark management are more important than turbos and superchargers. i don't like datsun motors, so i wouldn't get a ca18. sure rotaries are expensive, but they have balls, how many other FACTORY naturally aspirated 1.3L motors do you know of that make 270+hp? (rx8). i like cars that follow a theme - toyota car, toyota motor, thumbs up

- your car gets quicker with better suspension. i think suspension is the most rewarding thing about cars, the more power you can put to the ground, the faster you go, without doing a thing to the motor, simple awesome stuff

- these cars are verging on *too* light, i know my ke25 is anyway. make any more than ~90hp and you pretty much NEED limited slip to make it worthwhile, or you just do single spinners everywhere (like my car does in the wet, even when i don't want it to!)

- do not spend one cent on doing something that requires engineer certification, without first talking to an engineer. just because someone else on the internet (or in real life) did it and has the piece of paper doesn't mean you can do the same thing

- always, ALWAYS, have third party property insurance. if you do so many mods to your car that nobody will insure you even for that, you may as well not modify the car. there are plenty of accidents out there that aren't your fault, but you're the "at fault" driver. and you can't avoid them, because thats what they are, accidents, not on-purposes

BEST OF LUCK :D

Hey all

Thanks for all the info / tips guys. heres an update.

I started out thinking about motors and stuff - Feb 27 2004 (first post).

Its now May 10 2004 ( a little way down the track ) and i have learnt many valuable things.

I am no longer wanting a Fast / different motor for my car atm, or anything like that. (descided that a small wile ago, but nothing can stop me imagining crazy ideas lol :) ) Now that i have my L's (were as i didnt on the 27th Feb) i know that the stockie 4KC has just what i need - gets me from A to B - Doesnt cost alot to maintain, Lots of part for them - and the cops wont get me for anything sussy - shes 120% Stock (excluding the non-existant Emitions system lol).

Its got enough power for what i need - for around town... unless i start tacking some reallly big hills... i wont see any need for anything more powerfull at the time being !

I have Also descided i do not want to put my exhaust setup on untill After i have my P's. I had a descussion @ school today, and if I'm doing the test in my car (yes!), i want to give the impression to the instructor that I'm not a hoon ! (not that i am on the public roads.. really)

I'm Getting through my uppolstry - some of u have seen it, some of u havnt, but to date i have put the underlay material on all 4 door trims, and 2 out of those 4 door trims have the vinal on them. I have started on colouring the plastic, and so far - its lookin SWEEET ! (grand cost of brand new meriene vinal for 4 door trims and underlay for 4 door trims +Glue and accessories = $40 ) - hehehehehehehe

The suspension idea is a very good 1, and I'm looking into it. As mum thinks the car is going to flip over onto the side @ 30 kms around a 90° turn, i suspect there is a Little body role on her side LOL - its no that bad, but mums use to new cars :D !

i think that just about does it for now, thanks every 1 for ure input, my motor dreaming days are not over, but wanting a fast motor or what eva are over - for a good while anway :moon:

(Doesnt mean i wont get another motor and rebuild it to learn someintg or 2 :D )

...starts thinking of drifting again...

GOKARTS ;) !

Yes, I'd agree as well, I'd suggest matt sticks with the 4K till he gets a better feel for how his car handles. Any Learner driver is potentially dangerous if driving inexperienced with so much power. Not to mention insurance for a Turbo/Supercharged car is so high..

I've had my car for 3 years now and think its about time I lived up to my promise of throwing a 4AGE in, keep saying I'm going to do it but always end up spending the money on something else. I'd like a 4AGTE eventually, but I know its way too much power for me at this present point in time.

I don't see any real point in throwing a bigger engine than a 4AG into a KE70, at least 4AG is pretty much a bolt in with a AE71 Crossmember. (If you want more power then get a bank loan and get a REAL performance car)

When you get around to it if you want to upgrade your 4AGE at a later stage, get your supercharger or turbo for it when you are able to afford it. The way I figure it, I'll leave the turboing till I am more able to afford the full comp insurance..

So for now my sights are set on a 100KW 4AGE, just got to get the parts to do it..