Rust Help

Fabz

Members dont see this ad

Yea cool. Well I'm going to look into a welding course then hopefully buy a welder.

What type of welder should I be looking at. Mig?

Can't go wrong with a mig. There is a few things it can't do but its a good rounder for the car and general home work.

See about a mig that can do both gas and gasless.

Arc welder is ok, but its better for heavy work, like thick steel and welding general crap together out the backside of burke. If you look into the higher priced arc welders you'll also be able to do....

Tig is more of a specialized welder for making beautiful looking welds on exhaust pipe, suspension parts etc.

Go for a gas/gasless mig. The gas mig is by far the easiest to learn, but the bottles can get expensive and there's times when using a shielding gas is pointless (outside springs to mind)

But you can't use migs on aluminum can you?

:yes: you can

But, it can be expensive. Need a gas bottle (Argon ?), wire that can weld aluminum and a welder that can turn the voltage down.

Yep. When it comes to welding the car panels go for gas and something like a 0.8mm wire. You'll also need the tips to suit the wire size.

But all in all i'd attack the area with a wire wheel first to see really how bad it is.

Steel ? Yep.

The main difference between a cheap and expensive welder can be summed up by what it can do and can't do.

Cheap = basic, an on/off switch, a switch for minimum/maximum amps, a dial for the spool speed and no gas. Basic, easy to setup and use, pretty much sums what a typical home handyman will want. Something that can be thrown in the cardboard to breed cobwebs.

Expensive = microprocessors and all the gauges, switches and dials you'd need for welding different types and thicknesses of metal . And these things also take the big 15kg rolls of wire.

The other difference can be the spare parts. A cheap welder you'll more then likely only be able to buy just the disposable parts (Tips and nozzles), but that does depend on the brand. Where as the expensive one will have the spare parts range to cover the whole thing.

One overlooked thing is the duty cycle of the welder

- a cheap one will have a short cycle. Use for a minute or five and off for about five or so minutes for it to cool down before getting back to it. Typical handyman style.

- expensive will have a long duty cycle. Use it for good while and off for a couple of minutes before back into it. These things are fan-forced and what not.

As for picking one out, it'll come down to what you want it for and just how much use it'll get. For a good start look at one that can do both gas and gasless and can take 0.8mm tips for welding car panels.

The one i nicked from my dad is a gasless, its ok but it'll be a lot better if it could take the bottle.

Make sure you also get one of those auto-darkening helmets, you'll never look at a flip-lid thing again.

I have been doing a bit of cutting and welding with my Ke25, I am no where near a professional welder, but it really comes down to practice and having a grinder handy. Also, just taking your time and not rushing it. I am using a gas-less MIG, it's ok, nothing special but it does the job.

As for rust treatment, look at POR15 (google it). I have read some amazing reviews of this stuff and I plan to use it in the next few months on the '25 where the common rust areas are.

Cheers

Mick

meh, most por15 products are not what they crack them up to be.

The por15 rust converter is about the same as any other one ive used.

Fabz, don't go buying a cheap ebay mig, you will wonder why you struggle so much to string a good weld.

The biggest problem with cheap migs is the wire feed is often unreliable, and variable at best.

Without a good wire feed you will never do a good weld.

A second hand known brand welder would be a better option for a tight budget.

So what's the difference between this rust converter and the 3m one I have!

So I'm better off looking at a decent brand but second hand. Ok well what brands should I look at?.

And what do you mean by the wire feed?

Thanks heals guys

Take care with the amount of heat u apply to the panel when welding it as u could distort and bow it ( then your f@$ked ) , also just to let u know u need a high frequency DC welder for aluminum welds , if its just small holes use a metal reinforced fibreglass filler to build up the holes then bog for shape sand primer and paint cheapest and easiest way go on youtube theres heaps of tutorials , pay attention to the little tricks nd shit the oldboys use in the vids they will pay off in the end , hope this helps mate goodluck :)