Buying Tyres From Tirerack.Com

philbey

I am looking at getting a set of tyres from Tirerack.com after seeing a post from irokin in another thread.

Honestly I nearly fell off my chair when I discovered I can get set of Advan A08's landed in Aus for $843.00. The sizes I need for my 911SC aren't even available in the country in most tyres, the only performance tyre I could even find locally is RE002. Toyo's, kuhmo, advan, dunlop, nobody could get my sizes over here.

So....

Who's bought from Tirerack.com before?

Any issues with payment, shipping, customs, etc?

Tell me your stories.

Edited by philbey

Members dont see this ad

I'll try and find the tread on SAU where guys were importing from tirerack. We get royally shafted on prices, even when the exchange rate is in our favor! I can't justify the price of AD08s when the proper semis I have been looking at are on special for something like $320 and normally $350-400. I'd have to have rocks in my head to buy a performance street tyre over that!

Edit: I should add that the prices I'm talking about for semis are purchased locally.

Sweet. I'm hanging for it, just waiting for the wire transfer details then I'm going to hit it up.

To me it was less about price and more about CHOICE! Seriously, I couldn't find performance tyres in 205/55R16 and 225/50R16, standard Porsche Fuchs sizes. I could grab a set of 50,000km redgums, but nothing soft. Trust me, rubbish tyres on the front of an old 911 are scary.

Trust me, rubbish tyres on the front of an old 911 are scary.

I can imagine!

Why shouldn't it be about price? We live in a global economic era, why should you be able to screw me with prices double what they are elsewhere? If you sell something that can be shipped internationally cheaply, you're competing with international businesses now. Figure out how to compete or GTFO! If you can't compete on price then figure out something else you can offer me. Just don't piss on my boots and tell me its raining.

I buy probably 20% of my car parts locally (heavy stuff and stuff I need tomorrow usually. Some stuff is cheaper here though) and the rest comes from Japan or USA.

I got in touch with them a few months back after Aaron at Import Monster recommended them.

Thank you for your interest in The Tire Rack. Your email has been forwarded to Hunter. You will receive a response to your question shortly. Please feel free to contact Hunter at (888)-541-1777 ext 744 or by direct email at [email protected].

We look forward to helping you,

The Tire Rack Team

Hunter never got back to me, and in the meantime, I discovered the tyres I wanted I could get in Melbourne cheaper after shopping around a bit. I think this is more likely to be a realistic alternative on larger sizes where the cost per tyre increases exponentially in Australia. The range of tyres was no better over there, again in smaller performance type tyres (13, 14inch)

i wonder how they ship tyres? 1 tyre per box?

The pics on the SAU thread show them in a stack, lashed together.

Why shouldn't it be about price? We live in a global economic era, why should you be able to screw me with prices double what they are elsewhere?

haha... I suspect you and I share a similar opinion regarding Gerry Harvey....

What I meant was that the choice was the most exciting thing about Tirerack; I'm getting better tyres at 400 bucks saving, so price benefits were always inherent!

Hunter never got back to me, and in the meantime, I discovered the tyres I wanted I could get in Melbourne cheaper after shopping around a bit. I think this is more likely to be a realistic alternative on larger sizes where the cost per tyre increases exponentially in Australia.[/size][/font] The range of tyres was no better over there, again in smaller performance type tyres (13, 14inch)

Yep, there's definitely a lower limit on size/price range for tyres. Given the 13 inch tyres on the rolla were 500 bucks, and shipping from the states is ~250, I'd have to see a HUGE percentage difference on tyre cost to warrant it.

But anything locally +1000 for a set, I don't think you can go wrong.

haha... I suspect you and I share a similar opinion regarding Gerry Harvey....

What I meant was that the choice was the most exciting thing about Tirerack; I'm getting better tyres at 400 bucks saving, so price benefits were always inherent!

:yes:

Don't get me started, what a wanker... Pissing on about Australian businesses while he imports junk from Asia. Bitch, please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZSRLbRQVHk

<3 GetUp. I dunno how true it is, but given the video and getup haven't been sued out of existence they must have their facts straight.

:yes:

Don't get me started, what a wanker... Pissing on about Australian businesses while he imports junk from Asia. Bitch, please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZSRLbRQVHk

<3 GetUp. I dunno how true it is, but given the video and getup haven't been sued out of existence they must have their facts straight.

Ol' Gerry's just pissed he didn't put much faith in this new-fandangled 'internet' thingy back in the 90's.

I think my boss got a set of tires from there (or some other site) for his Touareg, had heaps of issues, in the end it costed him heaps in the end trying to get through customs etc. Don't exactly know the details, but just make sure you don't rush into it and have all your bases covered.

I think my boss got a set of tires from there (or some other site) for his Touareg, had heaps of issues, in the end it costed him heaps in the end trying to get through customs etc. Don't exactly know the details, but just make sure you don't rush into it and have all your bases covered.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5653.asp

Tyres aren't on the restricted list that I can see. If you're really concerned I'd just call them (Customs) and ask. As long as the total values under $1000, I can't see there being any problems.

Who knows, maybe he imported them under the business name and got stung because it became a commercial import?

Yeh I can't stand Gerry. He didn't just fail to get on the internets bandwagon, he actually wrote it off as a passing fad. What a lack of foresight... sucker.

Anyways, just pulled the trigger on the Dunlop Direzza z1 ss, cheaper than advan a08s with almost identical performance results.

Dave pmed me as he scored a set of Toyo t1rs for 200 each, which is a steal, but I rang around locally and couldn't get anything less than 1000 a set, fitted.

Will keep you all updated on my progress, fingers crossed there're no issues.