September 5, 201115 yr comment_551476 Hey guys. Lately while driving, i've been smelling fuel inside my car. I've had a look in the engine bay and all the fuel lines look alright and i can't work out where it's coming from. I'm pretty sure it only happens when i accelerate heavily.. anyway, any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Hayden. Report
September 5, 201115 yr comment_551479 exhaust leak? any sign of fuel residue? all charcoal caniser vac lines hooked up? you running a air filter? Report
September 5, 201115 yr comment_551481 Do you have the original charcoal canister hooked up still? There is a fuel tank vetilation line running into it, maybe check that. Report
September 5, 201115 yr Author comment_551483 Pretty sure there is no exhaust leak, i've been checking underneath the car recently and no fuel seems to be on the ground, nor in the engine bay. I haven't got the carbon canister? i think it is (the black circular thing) connected, should i put that back in? and yes i've got an air filter on the carby. Thanks for your reply Evan! edit: and ae82! Hopefully putting the canister back in will fix it, thanks for your help guys! Edited September 5, 201115 yr by haydoss Report
September 5, 201115 yr comment_551485 fuel pump maybe on the way out, ive had a few start to leak before.... Report
September 5, 201115 yr comment_551486 try undo the fuel cap and see how pressure comes out? then go for another bash and see if you can still smell fuel Report
September 5, 201115 yr comment_551490 The smell will most likely be coming from the ventilation line. I ran mine into the bottom of the air filter housing to stop the smell or build up of vapours. Report
September 5, 201115 yr Author comment_551495 Would this somehow contribute to high fuel usage? Report
September 5, 201115 yr comment_551503 I don't really see why it would? Apart from fuel vapour in the tank getting out. The more it is splashed around, the more evapourates. Positive you don't have any leaks? Anywhere? Report
September 5, 201115 yr comment_551508 You sure your fuel cap isn't dodgy? Every time I go round a corner it'll slosh out and fume up. Try get a new cap. Report
September 5, 201115 yr Author comment_551511 Pretty sure i don't have any leaks. I'll try have a look at the cap aswell, thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated! Report
September 5, 201115 yr comment_551515 I got the same problem as you but I know it is a exhaust leak , the leak is where the exhaust mainfold flanges onto the exhaust pipe. I changed my intake/Exhaust gasket with a mate because we were convinced there was a leak between the head and the exhaust mainfold. After changing it we started it up and it was still there!! We had given up for the day when my mate's dad walked up and dignosed the leak in a matter of minutes with some jedi magic he taught us. Get a small pipe/tube thats no bigger than a pencil, and but 1 end near your ear and the other is used to scan for the leak around the exhaust flange etc, you'll find a common noise while moving around the exhaust but once you go over the leak the noise is multiplyed by X5. Still havent fixed it cause I love getting off my face after driving for 15 minutes. Report
September 5, 201115 yr comment_551537 how is the tunning on that carby? i dunno what a stromberg is, but if its running pig rich...thats a source of fuel smell. especially if your saying it happends after you acceleratate? Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now