4Age Or 4K Turbo Into Ke35

JamesBowyer

Hey, I'm new to this website, but i have a ae93 with a 4agze and i enjoy the power, i also have a old 1975 ke35 coupe with the 3k engine. I have done a tonne of body work as it did have rust, but i want to make it a bit faster. i know how rare they are so i don't want to mod it too much. Would it be worth putting a 4k turbo rebuilt into it or go with the 4age?

James

Members dont see this ad

don't know never driven a turbo k engine but there a few people in here who have done this mod and may be able to tell you... i have a 4age ke35 and I'm happy with how well it drives.. but doing basic mods i mentioned will get it going faster for not much money... turbo the k engine is abit more involved....

tthe two options you are comparing are completely different.

the 4age being a completely custom engine conversion, fuel systems, wiring, engine mounts, gearbox mounts, tailshafts. $$$

the other k turbo, you are using the standard engine (or bolt in varients) and adding a turbo, probably a carby based turbo setup.

both quite complicated, but i dare say the 4age will be stacks more work.

you need to decide for yourself, what you are capable of, how much cash you have, and what you want from your car.

i vote 4age, from the EFI reliability side of things.

I vote for a turbo on a K- Its been done enough times for you to PM the guys concerned and find out what problems to avoid, and it will make a nicely driveable streeter without needing to rev it.

5K would be good, but a 4K would do, small turbo, SU carb or small Weber and away you go. There no need to go over 7psi so eveything can be used stock.

So in the end you'll have to do as dave says, decide what work you can do, how much other work you can get done as favours and what the budget is. The budget will need to be $7000 at least if you're paying peolpe to do it.

50k is nothing, so run the motor as it it in the bottom end, just do a bit of head porting and freshen up the valves when you fit a nice high lift short duration cam and extractors. Try and get something that will haul ass up to 6000rpm max, so you use all the midrange of the turbo and it boosts as early as possible.

Are you thinking of an intercooler?? To my mind it just complicates a non-crossflow setup for the gain you get. Move the battery to the other side down on the chassis like I did and fit a side-draught carb facing forwards to a cold air intake.

ok thanks for that i will contact them, i found out today that the 4k turbo has heaps of fruit already has all of the above, ported head, honed block, short duration lifter cam so on and a t2 turbo and i can get this and a 5 speed for free. so I'm thinking i might do that. sometime soon, the engine hasnt been running in 11 years so i will get the head skimmed, new cam, so on. This is what the old ke35 looked like last year, don't have a photo of it now, but all the rust has been cut out and replaced and all the body parts removed ready for paint. still has the 3k, do you recomend i keep the 3k or would someone be interested in buying it. I believe its only done 132xxx k's as it has been in the family from new.

first thing ive done is body work, so soon i will begin to take the head of the 4k and do some work to it while buying new oil, plugs etc, and i will ave the turbo rebuilt. Does anybody know of places that would be able to build a turbo manifold as i have got one but it was homemade originally and doesnt give the air the best flow/? James

Grab need some local fabricator who can make one for you. For steel tube work an exhaust shop is often great.

You have a great advantage if the whole setup is there, you can trial fit is all and then decide how to improve it with your new manifold. Is it a side-draught or down-draught carb?? You can see in the top photo how a sidie keeps the setup low and away from the bonnet, you can place a cold-air intake straight into the carb.

It will pay to take the sump off & look inside. Shim the oil pump and take off a main and big-end bearing just to check them,.and have the flywheel lightened a couple of Kg.

Should be a great project!

4age for reliability and probably more power than a turbo 4k. bit more messing around with mounting and converting to efi, but at least you wont end up with some bastardised carby turbo setup that will more than likely run like shit and only give you about 20rwhp more than stock.