Snapping Universals

thcraig87

Evening Everyone

Just got a quick couple of questions about universal joint problems. Firstly I have a small port 4age in a KE35, T50 box and stock borg warner diff.

I broke the universal in front of the diff the other day, just fell into pieces. Gave it a boot full, dropped the clutch and bang. Previous owner said that he had it happen to him twice as well. Now I know this is a "high load" situation and that things break at the weakest point. That being said, it is probably better breaking a uni rather than a diff, however, I thought that it was still pretty unusual.

Has anyone had any experience with this? How did you fix it, what can I do? If I strengthen the uni will I start breaking the diff? Lastly, and sorry this may be a stupid question. I have 2inch lowering blocks in the back and was wondering if this has any effect on the angle at which the uni sits, i.e. putting more strain on the joint?

Any help is appreciated.

Craig

Members dont see this ad
Like youre saying, straight line is better

But not too straight as the UJs need some angle to make the rollers move and stay greased.

I'd say learn to drop the clutch correctly. I'm sometimes amazed at how people abuse machinery without any advantage. An hour in a V8 race-car will learn yuh! Half-way out until it pulls, pause, then accelerate......

Yeah, I agree. Used to do bitumen motorkhanas and the like and never broke a uni. This is with 7000+rpm clutch dumps, throwing it from 1st to reverse and back without stopping and all other sorts of nasty abuse.

Id be checking the angle of your diff and make sure you are mot putting too much angle through the uni as you compress the suspension and jamming/locking it up for want of a better description.

Sweet. Yeah I've been meaning to pull out the lowering blocks since I have had it. It does look nice, but it rides like a dog. Not to mention when you have anyone sitting in the back seat, it gets sooo much worse.

The Holden unis that are spoken about above. What are they out of? Keen to do some investigating. The ones I have are relatively little, so I would been keen to increase the size if its possible.

And yeah my days of side stepping the clutch are a long way behind me now, however, I admit that my driving that night wasn't great. Still, I had an old KE70 for my first car and absolutely smashed it (and yeah I know that 4K vs 4AGE is a big difference). Even so, I was a lot harder on that then I have ever been on this and she was right as rain. I just didn't expect to break the uni, diff maybe...