Vt Acclaim

Kid-Ae

Rear springs are a piece of piss to change, if you decide to do it yourself, let me know and I will step by step it for you (WAAAAAAY EASY)

Mine is on SSL and Ive never had an issue with CV shafts, although a friend with a VE SS that is ridiculously low (stupid stupid low, guy is a dick) keeps popping drive shafts. It seems to be a larger issue with VY onwards.

I havent bothered with a camber kit, I put over 1000kms a week on my VT, it just means I put cheap tyres on the rear, decent tyres on the front, and flip the rears on the rims every couple months.

Stock brakes will be more than sufficient, no point spending money on anything bigger unless you are planning on a big power increase.

Put some Bendix ultimates or heavy duty pads in with 4000 series (or 5000 series if you want to go fancier) DBA rotors in it and you will be fine.

If you are already running extractors and a cat back, then upgrading/replacing the cat is a decent idea. The old one would be reaching the end of its life anyway. Hi-flow is no good to you if the rest of the system is a restriction point. don't let anyone talk you into deleting the rear muffler either, thats the #1 way to make it a droney POS.

Do both struts at once in the front, (put in your lowered springs while you are at it) and replace the rubber strut tops with Superpro polyurethane ones. Also don't forget to replace the flat bearing at the same time.

hmmmmmm, it seems I have played with my daily a little bit too much.... apart from the torana its the longest Ive ever owned a car! (and at 23, ive owned more cars than years I have lived)

Members dont see this ad

Rear springs are a piece of piss to change, if you decide to do it yourself, let me know and I will step by step it for you (WAAAAAAY EASY)

Mine is on SSL and Ive never had an issue with CV shafts, although a friend with a VE SS that is ridiculously low (stupid stupid low, guy is a dick) keeps popping drive shafts. It seems to be a larger issue with VY onwards.

I havent bothered with a camber kit, I put over 1000kms a week on my VT, it just means I put cheap tyres on the rear, decent tyres on the front, and flip the rears on the rims every couple months.

Stock brakes will be more than sufficient, no point spending money on anything bigger unless you are planning on a big power increase.

Put some Bendix ultimates or heavy duty pads in with 4000 series (or 5000 series if you want to go fancier) DBA rotors in it and you will be fine.

If you are already running extractors and a cat back, then upgrading/replacing the cat is a decent idea. The old one would be reaching the end of its life anyway. Hi-flow is no good to you if the rest of the system is a restriction point. don't let anyone talk you into deleting the rear muffler either, thats the #1 way to make it a droney POS.

Do both struts at once in the front, (put in your lowered springs while you are at it) and replace the rubber strut tops with Superpro polyurethane ones. Also don't forget to replace the flat bearing at the same time.

hmmmmmm, it seems I have played with my daily a little bit too much.... apart from the torana its the longest Ive ever owned a car! (and at 23, ive owned more cars than years I have lived)

Ahhk, I keep hearing so many differing points of view to lowering a VT.. Beginning to f@$k with my head.. I was thinking lows all round or even fe2 all round with a 2 point camber kit. I'm guessing it wouldn't be cheap? (situation atm means I have to pay someone else to do stuff to my car).

Some of us aren't earning more than say $300/$400 a week, so I can't really be splashing too much coin around.. In the end I just want to maintain this car and be able to sell it in the next 12 months at a decent price with the knowledge that i've looked after it.

It's already got a catback system, so adding a high flow isn't worth it? exhaust bloke said it'll up the noise a bit and make her sound mean, but still nice at cruising speed and can quite easily get away with it from the cops as long as you aren't giving it curry. Said my current cat is in OK condition but not fantastic..

Definitely fixing that strut top asap, that and gearbox service and first two major things that are getting done in the next fortnight.

Pfft you havn't played with it too much, just means you've loved it mate yes.gif

I love all cars, but I'd rather be back in my old AE92.. Saw it last week driving around, they have kept everything how I had it too laugh.gif must mean I have decent taste or something wink.gif

alright so Bendix ultimax pads for front, DBA slotted for front, then i'll be stopping much nicer..er cool.gif

I hate cars sometimes.. Purely because all I want to do is play with them..

forget the hiflow catalytic converter. It will make NO difference.

If the front discs arent stuffed, just get them machined and put the bendix pads on. I think slotted discs are a waste of money if your current ones don't need to be replaced.

sure if the fronts need replacing, an extra 50bucks on slotted is prolly worth it. but buying new discs purley to go from flat to slotted...yeah waste of cash.

remember cars are for driving, not sitting in a workshop costing you $1000's or on jackstands in your garage :wink:

....Anything else I should add to that list? I'm enjoying the absolute reliability of this car. It can handle anything. Wish I could lower it, but stupid Holden made it more expensive to do on the VT's with the crappily designed rear end... WHY DID YOU LEAVE THE TOE-LINK OUT HOLDEN?!?!?! Grr.. CBF paying for a camber kit on top of springs, was only looking to go lows if anything. Including a camber kit, close to $800 fitted.. Before you tell me to fit it myself, I don't have anywhere to do so...

Look into changing your diff cradle to anything from a VX series II to VZ (holden added a tow-link to these models)

Depending how low your gonna go, It's all you'll need

Here is a link that will give you more details

Rear tow link conversion

Unless I know of anyone in a VX S2 that writes it off anytime soon, i'll just live with the stock height.

Was thinking of changing the look of the car a little. VE interceptors (16x7) suited to fit the VT with 225/55/r16's on it.

Don't mind the look of ceptors, but I'm a little sceptical as to the aesthetic benefits.

/f@$k I WISH I WAS BACK IN A COROLLA

Just be aware that VE wheels will have a smaller hub centre, so if planning on fitting them to anything, you MAY have to have the centre enlarged.

As for the rotors, 4000 series only come in slotted, or slotted and dimpled. I too often question the value of slotted rotors, the 4000 series have ALOT more to them than just wiper slots though, the ventilation (kangaroo paw) and material is excellent.

the DBA guy basically told me if I could warp them on the street he would give me my money back AND another set for free. Ive given them a hammering and had no issues whatsoever. Standard style rotors were getting vibration reasonably quickly previous to that (just couldnt cope with the heat, these things are heavy bastards, so any "spirited" braking tends to take its toll)

Just be aware that VE wheels will have a smaller hub centre, so if planning on fitting them to anything, you MAY have to have the centre enlarged.

As for the rotors, 4000 series only come in slotted, or slotted and dimpled. I too often question the value of slotted rotors, the 4000 series have ALOT more to them than just wiper slots though, the ventilation (kangaroo paw) and material is excellent.

the DBA guy basically told me if I could warp them on the street he would give me my money back AND another set for free. Ive given them a hammering and had no issues whatsoever. Standard style rotors were getting vibration reasonably quickly previous to that (just couldnt cope with the heat, these things are heavy bastards, so any "spirited" braking tends to take its toll)

Yeah I have a mate that's already got a set that have been enlarged, he's looking at 20's so I may get them cheap. If I don't get them I don't care.

See delivering pizza I'm used to late braking etc and while this thing pulls up better than bucket used to, I tend to find I get brake fade towards the middle/end of the night and the rears are doing more than the fronts.

Alright so brake upgrade is on the cards, if funds aren't quite there I'll just get new standard rotors and top quality pads.

Booked in next week for the transmission to be serviced and diff to be looked over. Diff feels alright but i'd rather be safe than sorry on a car that's done so many kms.

Next question - Future car.. Out of the two: VZ or VE? Either sedan or ute, same motor (alloytec) and same kind of equipment level (S pack ,Sv6 etc).

laugh.gif

See delivering pizza I'm used to late braking etc and while this thing pulls up better than bucket used to, I tend to find I get brake fade towards the middle/end of the night and the rears are doing more than the fronts.

late braking and brake fade while delivering pizza! man thats commitment.

When you work at one of the top places in Melbourne and you are the only driver/manager, you know the time limit you have to get all the deliveries done, within our allocated time limit and stillbe able to do in-shop prep work. It pays pretty well on a busy night (I get an hourly, delivery fee plus all tips).

Consistently hard on the car while I'm working, otherwise my driving is very relaxed.

Front end got bent up nicely tonight.. Some dickwad locked up under brakes and sent me into a spin around a round about into the turning poles(ones with stripy lines). Only at low speed, but enough to snap the front bar, put a nice dent in the front passenger quarter panel and destroy the numberplate.

So she's sitting stationary for the night, will go to the wreckers in the morning and grab two new panels, put on and it'll be fine.. Bit shaken, but not stirred..

late braking and brake fade while delivering pizza! man thats commitment.

I cooked the brake fluid & a set of front pads in BT through a new housing estate one night delivering pizza. Not because I was under time pressure, just lots of roundabouts & corners that were loads of fun until people started to move into the houses... :lol:

Front end got bent up nicely tonight.. Some dickwad locked up under brakes and sent me into a spin around a round about into the turning poles(ones with stripy lines). Only at low speed, but enough to snap the front bar, put a nice dent in the front passenger quarter panel and destroy the numberplate.

So she's sitting stationary for the night, will go to the wreckers in the morning and grab two new panels, put on and it'll be fine.. Bit shaken, but not stirred..

Bugger! :(

Glad to hear you're okay, noone's hurt & it's a (relatively) simple fix. :y:

Yeah I'm fine mate. Yanked the panels off today, havn't even moved the rad support or a few other bits and pieces that I thought would have taken a knock.

Couldn't get a guard or front bar at the wreckers, so this weekend the car will sit out the back and i'll use the missus car.

Found a place just in Bayswater that has what I need and for about $130 for the lot. WIN.

Just gotta wait til Wednesday. Then I'll get those panels painted at a later stage (missus family friends are spray painters/panel beaters)

So while Andy sits out the back, gave it new oil, adjusted throttle cable, tidied up a few bits and bobs and just keep staring at the chassis wondering how I didn't even leave a mark on it.

Could have done so much worse. Sometimes you gotta have luck.

Shock kinda sucks though, I dropped about 4 things today at the shops and I have to work tonight.. This'll be amusing.

Alright.. Saw a AE112R Levin hatch today for 8g.. Auto, front power windows, black, sports interior, alloys, looks schmick..

Thinking of selling Andy early next year (after trip to Sydney) and purchasing one of these badboys. I know I like Commodores and all, but for a lot better economy and much more fun driving (not to mention the fact they love high rpm) it'd be a good option that'd save me money long term.

I'd love one in black, then probably put it on some nice 17's and get a full custom exhaust system made up (extractors, cat, res, single muffler, 2" pipe). Then just a double DIN headunit and just drive it and polish it. Better? cool.gif

Got a massive payrise today, so the VT should be fixed tomorrow, along with a wheel alignment and new front brakes before the end of next week. Then off to source some little bits and pieces (seat covers etc) to make the interior neater. Gave the gearbox a once over, have a feeling it's going to thank me.