Is A Ke30 Corolla With An Sr20 Illegal? Nsw

haydenb123

Members dont see this ad

Yeah, check out any wrecker etc. for the motor box.

I'm another that is wary of taking over someone elses part finished project. Have seen too many people offloading BIG problems onto someone and running with the cash.

Just a question. How much has been cut up to get the SR in?????? It may not be feasable to go back to a K motor. I know nothing about the conversion or if the car you are looking at already has the motor in it or how mauch has been done in the engine bay, but to me alarm bells are ringing and I would be super careful and do a shitload of research before handing over the cash.

Maybe find a stock corolla at the wreckers and take pics of the firewall, cross member, engine mounts, tranny tunnel etc so you can compare it to the car you are looking at. It may untouched and you will be sweet, but if the mounts have been cut off, the cross member cut or the firewall butchered then IMO run.

oops i forget to mention the conversion hasnt been done yet. he said he has the motor and has the brackets. it just needs a gearbox and to be dropped in. But i think I'm gonna stick with the 4k. sounds much easier for my first restoration/conversion.

I'm a little perplexed how the mounts and brackets were made up and they are looking to part with it without a box? seems odd to me,

I'm sure anyone can borrow a box for the conversion, but is alot to modify,

start off with your 4K motor and keep the mounts for later,

You can make mounts up and have the SR20 and box in there for about $300 (no that is not exageration) if you know what your doing and have all the right tools

umm the engine isnt in and (to me) the bay looks like it hasnt been touched. ill be asking him if hes cut anything or done anything which will stop me from putting a 4k in it. heres the pictures of it. Could someone tell me if that big chunk of rusty metal is the original bracket?

http://nsw.gumtree.com.au/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=321417516

and heres the ad if you wanna have a look. doesnt say much though.

http://nsw.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-cars-Toyota-Corolla-1975-KE30-2-Door-classic-W0QQAdIdZ321417516

I'm new to this but you people have been there before and if you think its a bit dodgy maybe i should just keep looking for a complete stock car. i dunno have a look and tell me what you think please.

cheers

ill have a look around at a couple of wreckers and see what i can find.

I'm on the central coast by the way.

Edited by haydenb123

Don't do it!

When I was 15 I bought a burned-out 1949 Armstrong Siddeley to have as a first car. I was nearly 19 when I got it on the road, and the BIG advantage I had was that I took it apart.!

I didn't realise that Rolla was so stripped- you won't know where everything goes, right down to nuts/bolts/plastic tabs, so I reckon you will never get it back to original. It would make a great race car, it just stays stripped out, but if you want a nice Rolla keep looking for an original somewhat tatty one and rebuild it yourself.

Rob here in Orange has a KE10 sitting around decaying in his yard, that's all stripped too, and a partly stripped KE35 in his garage, and two or three KE55s in his yard in various states of not going. If you want to bang your head against a brick wall you could try one of those, they are all restoration projects he's 'working on'. If not, buy a going or at least un-stripped one and get into it.

From memory it looks ok in the bay, but it has been a loooooong time since I have played with anything younger than a KE20. The rusty thing is the front crossmember.

The only issue I can see is it is missing a heap of bits which may be hard to find if they are not there.

altezza that makes perfect sense. i thought if i bought it already stripped, id just have to paint it and put it back together. easy. but i wouldnt know were everything goes. if i pull it apart myself ill know how to put it back together.

thanks for your help everyone, I'm gonna look for a complete car and rebuild it.

how likely am i to find a complete corolla ke30 at a wrecker?

roughly how much $$$ will i be looking at for a complete car?

ill keep searching ebay, gumtree etc till i find something thats right for me.

Cheers guys

Edited by haydenb123

hey guys, what do you think about these?

http://nsw.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-cars-datsun-1200-sedan-W0QQAdIdZ315368400

http://nsw.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-cars-datsun-1200-W0QQAdIdZ312379705

i don't know about you but i quite like the datson 1200. its small and simple like the corolla. i think it would also make a good FIRST project.

Edited by haydenb123

Yep, they look OK. I had Datsuns for 30years before I bought a Corolla, they're bulletproof, go well, but rust in the sills & mudguards...

The first thing you will learn is bargaining skill! How to find the minimum price that a guy will take, then pull out exactly $100 less than that in cash and say "Damm, I've only got $800" as you wave it front of him.. "I'll get back to you next payday".... So make sure you have $100 bills in different pockets! :laff:

We get a few undamaged ones down at the wrecker- Either they died or ran out of rego ...

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/49218-straight-flat-front-ke70-orange-wreckers/

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/52168-at-the-wreckers-in-orange-jun-2011/

Can i also suggest for those who are undertaking conversions to go for a drive in a car with said motor in it, or originates from,

Day i went for a drive in a stock SR powere gemini I was sold as oppose to a stomping RX3, don't ask me why

• 2 weeks later...

dammit, is a sr20de ke30 4 door sedan seriously illegal to drive on P's?

i was going to buy one without the sr20det that was already in the bay with the box and wiring done and fit an sr20de :S

Shouldnt it be legal seeing as its a non turbo 4cyl? And could be seen as a substitute engine because of the age of the previous engine?

ps I'm only 17 aswell >.<

Edited by cmy13b