Shell Optimax Extreme

Corolla_Kid

This is a new fuel brought out by shell. Its the first 100 octane petrol sold in bowsers. They use a 5% blend of ethanol and is to be used by the v8 supercars next year. When Dick Johnson was interviewed about it, it came across as the fuel didnt help power figures too much at all. They seemed more focused on environmental benefits but to be honest I'm not too sure the difference between 5 % ethanol and 0% ethanol will do for the environment. Also its about 14c a litre dearer than normal unleaded. I've tried running it for a couple of tanks and i can't see why i'd start using it over BP ultimate.

If anyone has anythoughts or opinions feel free to post them.

Members dont see this ad

ethanol = shit for engines. f@$k the environment, if i wanted to save trees i wouldn't drive a car at all

i'd be interested in the distilling process and the sulphur content of this fuel

normal optimax is still just unleaded with additives, and it mixes crap with other petroleum based products, like oil, or other petrols, so you need to flush your fuel system to use it. and ask any 2 stroke engine users (go karters) or rotary enthusiasts, optimax is a great way to kill your combustion-oil-mixing engine

normal optimax has double the minimum sulphur content of ultimate as well. sulphur also = bad

optimax has a pretty crap reputation, i think this is just shell trying to bring something new out to compete beacuse bp has the best product. their fuel is the most expensive and they don't have stupid 4c fuel vouchers, i wouldn't change from ultimate ever, and i know alot of car enthusiasts who think the same

FWIW, When I swictched from Woolies Caltex to BP (regular unleaded), I notice a bit more consistent economy and performance.

That said, this is strictly anecdotal, and the fact that I switched around the end of winter might have had something to do with it, but yes, the Silkstone BP has comparable prices to (sometimes exactly the same) as the 7-11 next door, so why bother?

SHELL LAUNCHES WORLD FIRST - SHELL OPTIMAX EXTREME

Shell today claimed a world first when it launched its new flagship 100 octane fuel successfully formulated with 5% ethanol - Shell Optimax Extreme. This creates a new ‘super premium’ petrol category for the Australian marketplace.

Scientifically formulated in Australia, the breakthrough fuel formulation uses 5% ethanol as an octane-boosting, cleaner burning component and is designed specifically to deliver a higher level of engine responsiveness, sharper acceleration and enhanced power in many modern and high performance cars. Shell Optimax Extreme also has the same engine cleaning qualities as Shell Optimax.

Shell Optimax Extreme has been positively tested in Shell’s global laboratory in the UK and in Australia by industry experts including MoTeC and Dick Johnson Racing.

Major car manufacturers in Australia have also recently endorsed the use of up to 10% ethanol blended fuel in their new vehicles.

“Shell Optimax Extreme will take fuel technology within the Australian marketplace to a whole new level. It is a world first, super-high octane fuel with a minimum octane rating of 100 successfully formulated with 5% ethanol. This is the highest currently available at any Australian service station pump, and our first fuel in Australia scientifically formulated with ethanol.”

The revolutionary 100 octane fuel will be manufactured at Shell’s Geelong refinery and is the first significant advancement in unleaded fuel technology since the introduction of Shell Optimax in 1999.

For technical information and service station locations, visit www.shell.com.au/extreme or call 1300 134 205.

Optimax Extreme available at:

Coles Express Albany Creek 171 Old Northern Rd, Albany Creek, QLD

Coles Express Balmoral Cnr Oxford St & Hawthorne Rd, Balmoral, QLD

Coles Express Caloundra 69 Beerburrum St, Caloundra, QLD

Coles Express Kallangur Cnr Anzac Ave & Duffield Rd, Kallangur, QLD

Coles Express Kessels Rd 651 Kessels Rd, Mount Gravatt, QLD

Coles Express Milton 319 Coronation Drv, Milton, QLD

Coles Express Runcorn 501 Compton Rd, Runcorn, QLD

Coles Express Sherwood Cnr Sherwood & Oxley Rds, Sherwood, QLD

Coles Express Surfers Paradise 2824 Gold Coast Hwy, Surfers Paradise, QLD

Coles Express Virginia Cnr Sandgate & Robinson Rds, Virginia, QLD

Also of interest:

V8 Supercars To Introduce World First Fuel For 2006

V8 Supercars Australia announced it had secured a world first 100 octane fuel for the 2006 V8 Supercar Series.

Shell Optimax Extreme, Shell’s new flagship 100 octane fuel successfully formulated with 5% ethanol, has been successfully tested by leading V8 Supercar teams Stone Brothers Racing, Dick Johnson Racing and the Holden Racing Team, with all reporting improved performance and cleaner burn.

they have found that on most engines there can be quite a bit of power to be had with this new fuel... of course you need a standalone engine management unit to take advantage of it... the usuall more timing and more fuel theory combines to create more power.

the thing i don't understand is, ethanol is an unwanted byproduct of the sugar industry, therefore its very cheap... how then do they justify the extra cost involved in buying this fuel when the ingredients to make it are cheaper than the old fuel??? :)

I don't know about you interstaters, but here in Melb I havent been able to buy BP Ultimate or BP (the one with the orange handle) for weeks. They have the tags on the handles saying the product is unavailable due to shortages.

So its BP unleaded for me (92 octane)?? Lucky i only put 20L in today because it pings big time.

If I still can't get BP Ultimate in a few days, i will have to change brands OR, hunt around for a servo that has Ultimate.

Has Shell released what the expected Sale Price of the fuel is?

i did a big rant on here ages ago about ethanol and the other fuels. i have tried caltex/mobil regular back to back against bp regular and noticed no difference whatsoever. buy whatever's cheapest

to my knowledge, woolworths/coles just buy the branding for a pre-existing caltex/mobil/shell site, and apply their staff/management structure to the existing staff. i don't believe suppliers change. but i'll ask next time i'm doing a job in a woolies plus petrol

if you buy no-name fuel, you obviously don't give a shit about your car anyway. enjoy being thrifty

new cars that are designed to use ethanol-based fuels are fine with it. old corollas were not designed to run on ethanol-based fuels, ethanol fuels sound like a good way to f@$k your fuel pump diaphragms, and rebuild kits for them are over $90, and you'll be doing it maybe every year or more or less? up to you to decide which is more economical, trial and error

NZ went through this about 4 years ago with ethanol and found that too much and plastic fuel lines get eaten out and they ended up with heaps of cars busting into flames for no reason.

they discovered that anymore than 10% ethanol will chew plastic fuel components to bits.

saying all that we ran the rally car on it, the other weekend and it was good.

gave it heaps more ignition and the engine loved it. :P

and you can taste it, found out decanting fuel. :)

also ran it in the van just to see how good it was, and i did notice a difference.

but f@$k using it for a daily driver. :(

end result: good for motorsport or highly strung engine but wouldn't bother for daily driver.

And Nick your right about Japan having decent fuel, there prem unleaded smells like avgas.

Bring back AVGAS. :(