Deleting Post Or Edit

neil

rollaclub does not delete anything because.......? thats right, hits on the site =$$$ especially from those new popups that shxt everyone to tears. you only have to misplace your mouse for a second and there it is.. random advertising.

given that I'm sure there is a delete button for this post

having to edit a post to nothing sometimes is the only option rollaclub provides.

unless the the big wigs want to allow us to delete our own posts instead of editing them. outrageous!

Members dont see this ad

Well if you don't want to put something up that you are prepared to let other people see, don't put it up in the first place.

I expect moderators have better things to do with their time than trawling around deleting posts unnecessarily.

If you want to edit your posts then feel free to do so.

It's not that hard.

whast the big deal?

are you complaining that rollaclub doensnt delete useless posts?

in my experience i reckon that rollaclub is one of the more stricter moderated forums around.

if you want something deleted you can always just PM a moderator and get it deleted.

I haven't really had any problems with advertising on here, except for a few warnings from the mods about topic location.

If people read the rules, advertising wouldn't be the problem.

If you want your post deleted, edit the first post, go into full editor, and re-name your topic to "Please Delete Thread", or you can PM a mod/admin.

Josh :cool:

Edited by ewt

rollaclub does not delete anything because.......? thats right, hits on the site =$$$ especially from those new popups that shxt everyone to tears. you only have to misplace your mouse for a second and there it is.. random advertising.

given that I'm sure there is a delete button for this post

having to edit a post to nothing sometimes is the only option rollaclub provides.

unless the the big wigs want to allow us to delete our own posts instead of editing them. outrageous!

Hi neil. Is there any point to your post? Is there something you once posted you want cleared up? If so, by all means just ask us, we have a delete button and we use it regularly. If you had any idea of the shit that we blow away on a daily basis I think you might eat your hat.

As for making money, you do realise that this website has costs to host it; if you'd like to contribute some raw cash, that'd be great, we'll remove ads commensurate with your financial contribution.

if you want something deleted you can always just PM a moderator and get it deleted.

Yes. Contact us. We'd much prefer you simply ask, than post a misinformed topic.

I would say the same, it is one of the stricter ones but it doesn't feel that way. But anyway who cares if you can't delete something ive never had a problem with any of the advertising...

You can't watch Youtube without having to wait more than 15 seconds for the pre-video advert to play. RC's advertising is much more benign, but I'm sorry you find it to be such a problem.

As far as 'Strict' goes, I'm interested in hearing more feedback. It's not a word I would have used, but in reality, strict is simply close enforcement of the rules, which is what we do. I've been on much stricter sites (toymods, jockeyjournal) and I've been on much less strict sites. Keep in mind that no rules, or no enforcement of rules, generally devolve into a bunch of trolls arguing.

My only beef with the advertising was the tampon ads.

Ahahahaha.

Seriously though, generally the way the internet works these days is that everything persists forever. The only reason that you would need to delete a post is if an error occurred with your internet connection and somehow you posted it twice. You shouldn't post up things that you don't' want people seeing.

One place where I could see threads needing to be deleted is duplicate threads. Often people as a question that is already answered. In these cases it could be worth deleting it. Often though, I think it's probably a better idea to post a link to the post that actually resolves the issue (as if the person had to ask the question a second time they were obviously unable to find the answer, and having a duplicate post that links to the correct answer may help the next person unable to find it). If something is posted up prematurely (ie the original poster hasn't search and later finds a proper answer, it's easy to PM a moderator and get it removed.

Another place where I think threads could *possibly* be deleted is on sale threads which have sold. With this said, I think it is good to have an archive of previous sales, as it gives people a view of what has sold in the past, for what prices, what was involved etc. It is quite handy if you are looking at buying a part, stumble across an old thread selling that part and discover (through the replies) that the part isn't a correct fit etc for your purposes.

As Philbey asked; is there any reason why you are against users not being able to delete posts?

In terms of the advertising... this is necessary. Web hosting isn't free, at the end of the day someone needs to pay for it, and people often take the owners/managers of these kinds of sites for granted (people think that everything on the internet should be free.. because it's on the internet). As a Software Engineer and Information Technology consultant working heavy around the internet, I can tell you that doing things right can often be expensive. Everyone hates ads, but they are needed.

at first when I started posting more on this forum after being on Gemini forums I thought these mods are strict but after being on more regularly for about a year or two I've realised they are actually quite leanient (spelling?) considering the amount of stupid shit that gets posted daily in some of the most odd places with absolutely no regard to the rules that are clear for anyone to find.

I think the mods do a great job personally and I'm not trying to suck up cause well I don't care that much but job well done in my eyes.

cheers Tom