Ke70 Manual Conversion Problems

AE92_rolla

ohk so ive just done a manual conversion in my ke70 and the clutch wont work? adjusted the cable, put spacers in cos it was too loose and everything!

gearbox works cos i can put it in first then start it and take off, just change gears in the right revs, but i wanna know if there is a different clutch fork available or something? because the release bearing can't make contact with the pressure plate,

i was gonna mod the clutch fork but thought id ask on here first.

cheers guys, any help is appreciated

Members dont see this ad
did u get your flywheel shaved down alot?

ouch! That would be A LOT! They're meant to just skim the face of the flywheel if its damaged, but lightening takes off the back of it.

So- if you pull the cable out from the firewall, it just comes out about 10mm max?? Is that right? Then the thrust bearing hits the pressure plate and it stops.

Now, if that is happening, when you press the pedal it feels like a real clutch?? (gets harder to press down then easier at the bottom) or is it floppy without any resistance?? or only gets hard 3/4way down??

Does the clutch fork hit the front edge of the gearbox hole when the clutch is down??

Its obviously not pushing the pressure plate off the clutch plate, you just have to find out why. Not a chance the clutch plate is in backwards? (Don't think it would fit!) The thrust bearing is off its mounts on the arm? The arm is off the pivot ball??

ouch! That would be A LOT! They're meant to just skim the face of the flywheel if its damaged, but lightening takes off the back of it.

So- if you pull the cable out from the firewall, it just comes out about 10mm max?? Is that right? Then the thrust bearing hits the pressure plate and it stops.

Now, if that is happening, when you press the pedal it feels like a real clutch?? (gets harder to press down then easier at the bottom) or is it floppy without any resistance?? or only gets hard 3/4way down??

Does the clutch fork hit the front edge of the gearbox hole when the clutch is down??

Its obviously not pushing the pressure plate off the clutch plate, you just have to find out why. Not a chance the clutch plate is in backwards? (Don't think it would fit!) The thrust bearing is off its mounts on the arm? The arm is off the pivot ball??

yeah man thats all it comes out?? the clutch only feels like a proper clutch for about 1cm of the pedal push? rest is just free movement :S springs are all good and everthing too? clutch pate is in properly with the side that says "flywheel side" facing the fywheel.

ummmmmmmmmmmm it was all hooked up right when i pulled it apart again so the only thing i reckon is to space the release bearing out by 1 cm, the bearing JUSTTT makes contact with the pressure plate (can tell by the marks on the fins) first i thought they may of given me the wrong pressure plate but it measured up perfect to the stock one i got? i am verrrrrrrrrrrrrry confused :S

flywheel has been lightened but only on the other side, clutch side only had a rsurface done

That all sounds good, so I'm confused too! How does it look when you watch the clutch arm?? The cable pulls it in the middle of the hole or so??

Is the bellhousing pivot bolt adjustable on yours?? If you wound that out it would put the thrust bearing up against the pressure plate then move the cable end towards the rear of the car. That would give you more swing on the thrust.

That all sounds good, so I'm confused too! How does it look when you watch the clutch arm?? The cable pulls it in the middle of the hole or so??

Is the bellhousing pivot bolt adjustable on yours?? If you wound that out it would put the thrust bearing up against the pressure plate then move the cable end towards the rear of the car. That would give you more swing on the thrust.

clutch forl comes all the way to the front of the hole?

that is a very good point my friend!! haha i will have too look in the morning :) i hope it is!!!

Alrite, so I adjusted the little thingo, andit worked :-D just wanna kno how much free movement shuld the clutch fork have? Because atm it moves half way (in the slot on the side of the gearbox) them the bearing makes contact with the pressure plate :-D woohoo! But just wanna kno should the clutch fork have less free play then this?

Cheers

Yes, should be less than that! Maybe 10-15mm I would expect. 10mm outer cable movement at the firewall

When the weather is nicer I will crawl underneath and measure mine.

yeah thats what i thought, so i pulled the box out again and adjusted the pivot further, it now changes gears but only JUST! like wtf could it be? clutch fork has about 15-20mm of freeplay at the gearbox, clutch calbe if adjusted to its max and when I'm driving along and accelerating there is a weird grinding noise which is apparently the release bearing rubbing against the pressure plate?

there is a weird grinding noise which is apparently the release bearing rubbing against the pressure plate

Not if there is free play at the fork. That freeplay is a measure of the gap between the pressure plate the release brg- only needs to be 2mm.

I'll get a photo-.

post-7544-0-50311600-1320971375_thumb.jpg

Edited by altezzaclub

Not if there is free play at the fork. That freeplay is a measure of the gap between the pressure plate the release brg- only needs to be 2mm.

I'll get a photo-.

cheers for getting the pic man :) helped heaps, ohk so now it takes gears perfect etc etc but a wierd grinding/rubbng noise is evident?

took the 5 speed out and put the 4 spd in and it still does it? (not as much)

the tailshaft isnt rubbing against the chassis, I'm thinking wheel bearings? or both my boxes are f@$ked?