Cutting Off Early 83 Ke70 Wagon Drip Rails

stockstandard

Hey guys....new to the forum and new to owning the 83 wagon.

The body has some rust in it and one spot is right underneath the drip rail. So the plan is to just remove them completely and smooth it down.

my questions are, has anyone done this before? is the drip rail welded to the roof and body is the rail underneath the roof and welded as one?

Wondering if i will need to back weld as i cut and smooth off these rails.

Cheers guys

Christian

Members dont see this ad

Hey guys....new to the forum and new to owning the 83 wagon.

The body has some rust in it and one spot is right underneath the drip rail. So the plan is to just remove them completely and smooth it down.

my questions are, has anyone done this before? is the drip rail welded to the roof and body is the rail underneath the roof and welded as one?

Wondering if i will need to back weld as i cut and smooth off these rails.

Cheers guys

Christian

It would be my guess that the drip rails would be formed and rolled into each individual section,the roof section and the upper body section,and then pressed together spot welded and rolled as the two sections are fitted together.This being the case,if you cut it off the roof would be left un-attached so I would think that as you removed a section you would have to hammer and dolly it into shape and weld before moving on too far ahead,would def. need some bog or lead work to tidy it up.I don't know anyone who has actually done it though!