Ke70 Sr20 Conversion How Hard Is It?

feen17

hey I'm new to this forum thing but i have a couple of questions. i was thinking about putting a non turbo sr20 into a ke30. if anyone can help me with any of these qustions that would be really helpfull

is it street legal in south australia?

how much work is needed to mount the engine/ gearbox?

what kind of diff is required for this conversion?

does the body/frame need any strenghtening?

any thing esle that you may think i need to know or any links for parts would be hepfull thanks

Members dont see this ad
  • 5 weeks later...
and how deep are your pockets?

Seriously! Allow $10,000 to get it done properly, then subtract what you can do yourself.

Probably the motor will need two or three grand spent on it before you start as they are old motors and well-thrashed by now. The actual fitting is not hard, but all the little modifications and then the wiring, vacuum system, little fittings soak up hundreds of dollars. Don't forget to strip the gearbox and diff and check them too. I'm sure you'll be up for a brake conversion, which means struts and shocks too.

When you finally stand back with a beautifully clean and tidy engine bay with a smooth-running motor that does everything like factory-built, you can count the change! Sadly most motor conversions never get to that stage.

i have been considering this exact conversion into an old toyota, here are my findings and recomendations.

bite the bullet and buy a complete s15 or s14 silvia half cut ($2-3k), from as later model as you can find. s15's ran in japan untill late 2002.

so you can potentially get one that is under 10yrs old (just...) and hopefully lowish km's (under 100k maybe...)

the s15 is 6 speed wiht VVTi on the intake cam. S15's have a 3.6 ratio diff in the rear. so you want to try and get as close to this. 3.9 woudl probably be alright at a stretch, but i woudlnt go any higher.

the R31 differential can be had in 3.7 ratio, thats pretty close to 3.6! you will need to get an R31 diff, and a factory ke70 diff. and either make a jig to transfer all the mounts over (check the FS section, someone is selling a jig atm!) or take it somewhere and get them to do it (~$500). consider getting the diff shortened to suit the ke70. i don't know exact dimensions so search!

once you do this the diff will bolt into the car like a factory diff. then buy a brand new 2 way from KAAZ (900-1000AUD) and get it fitted in by a diff shop (few hundred). do it once, do it properly.

now get your angle grinder and welder and shoe horn the engine and gearbox into the car, make up a few custom made engine mounts (using gineric rubber mounts) and weld it all up.

custom tailshaft ~$400

now since you have the s15 half cut, i theorise that you could install the entire airconditioning, climate control, heater system from the s15 into your ke70.

how awesome would climate control be in an old toyota!

big task though, but i reckon it could be done.

i would certainly budget 10k, but i reckon if you diy as much as you can (i reckon you coudl DIY everything except tailshaft, exhaust and diff mods) then i reckon you could get it done for 7-8k (jsut engine and drivetrain, not brakes suspension etc). up to a driving stage, then its just time to make it all neat and reliable.

oh yeah...wiring....good luck! get out the wiring diagrams.

Edited by ke70dave

I do tend to agree that the S14/15 VVTi motors are aesthetically pleasing,

But don't doubt the S13 motors havin larger intake ports

I know its minute and the later motors come packed with punch, I'm sure something about the water galleries for weight (don't quote me)

Either which way all these motors have alot of support parts

Edited by NISROLA

You could buy a half-done conversion, they always seem to come up for sale. Even buying a finished one usually leaves you with this...

Now its running sweet (most of the time) when I go around corners, or come to a complete stop and try to go, it stops and starts, cough, splutter.

:laff:

Sorry Reed ! Such a classic!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey guys I'm new to this forum i have a couple of questions. i have got a sr20det balck top with harness gearbox and ecu and I'm wanting to put it into my 99 hilux extra cab

is it able to be done? cause i have looked on the transport dept site and all it tells me is it would as long as it doesnt got over 10% of the original engine but it also says that i can fit up to a 4.2 or 4.8 into my ute :/

if i can what sort of brakes would i need ???

if you can let me know of any links that may help that would be great

, little fittings soak up hundreds of dollars.

will have to totaly agree on this one, the big stuff like engine box diff etc are not realy the big things at all, when you start buying bolts hoses this and that, it realy starts to add up "

can quote me one that cause ive done it :)