Is My Alternator Broken?

rjenman

have u used a multimeter to get a reading off the battery yet?

sure fire way to check if it is ur alternator

and just go to the wreckers and pick up another alternator, if not i duno where ur located but u can have my spare for like 30 bucks or somethin

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have u used a multimeter to get a reading off the battery yet?

sure fire way to check if it is ur alternator

and just go to the wreckers and pick up another alternator, if not i duno where ur located but u can have my spare for like 30 bucks or somethin

Yeah I'm going to check with the multimeter tonight, I'm in Brisbane on the Northside where r u? :D

.... considering putting the one off my KE30 parts car into it... sound right to you guys? :y:

I am taking this to mean you have a spare alt on another car, it is a 20 minute job to change an alternator. Just change it.

If the problem is still there, it's not the alt.

I also had a problem with the wiring from alt to battery in my KE35 which has a bosch alt....The auto elec tested the back of the alt, and it was charging fine, just none of it was getting to the battery, whacked a second wire from alt to battery, all good :D

electrics are the only thing that i don't have patience for in a car. will tackle anything else, but wiring shits me to tears. working on it though.

wouldnt the multimeter on the battery tell you even faster than actualy changing the alt off the other rolla?

its a 12 on a 2s-c so I'm pretty sure it would be on the 4k aswell

me and dad were playin round with one yesterday, pulled it out coz it wasnt engaging, put wreckers one in which did nothing still, hooked them up outside the car, wreckers one wouildnt spin, old one working fine...so put the old one back and shes all good, but 40 minutes to do all that...including 3 starter motor removals and replacements..beat that :D

wiring to the alternator is simple, but wiring in general is shit

you could test the battery with a multimeter in 20 seconds :y:

weird coincidence, but my battery/altenator in my ke70 are playing silly buggers too. Went to batteryworld to get an opinion. My battery's on the way out, but the dude reckoned it was because of my alternator, as it was only putting around 13.5 back into the battery. I realise he's a pro and all, but being KE70 related does this sound a bit low? It was really bizzarre, one day I went to start the car and it was dead flat. When it'd been running fine before that and its been running fine since we jump started it :D

How much am I look at for a reconditioned alternator? Might just flog one off another 4k... we'll see.

The last time my alternator f@$ked itself it wasn't charging below like 3500RPM, was alright while I was on the highway, but get into shit peak hour traffic that crawls and I found myself revving it high to make sure it would still charge.. I think it was something to do with diode pack dying.. then after I had that replaced the damn coil bindings absolutly fried the shit out of themselves, was wondering why when I was driving along my headlights were dull, then absolutly blinding to any poor c**t that would have been in front of me, pretty sure they told me it was actually putting too much power back into the battery when they tested it out.. then i got them to put in a bigger stator and that seems to have solved the problem.. *touches wood*