5K Engine Query

JordyKE

• 4 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there all just finished this exact conversion 5k block with shallow dish pistons had 60thou lathed of the top 64thou decked from the block giving us near a flat top ,4k head ,bigger valves, ported,double valve springs with 120lb on the seat and decked to give us 11-1 comp quad kasaki 900 carbys ,reground 4k cam, solid lifters,datsun a12 push rods, ran in and miled tune on the dyno tonight gave us 99.5 rear wheel hp at 6thou revs in 3rd gear. Pretty happy with that and it pulls real hard on the road :yes: :yes: :yes: .

Cheers:- Stuart.

any pictures??? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :blinks: :blinks: :blinks: :blinks:

• 4 weeks later...

Alright this topic is back up, finally after much time wasted.

Took the engine and all the bits, the 4K and 5K heads down to my engine builder in Montrose.

Turns out the heads just aren't great, pitting everywhere and are soft as.

So i'm trying to source a good 5K head with minimal work done to it, (anyone have one?)

I need the shallow 5K head suitable for deep dished D pistons. Or else i'll get flat tops (how much are they?)

Also will the need hydraulic pushrods, as i'm going to stay hydraulic as i'm going for a reliable engine, not a fast engine.

Cheers.

Here's the hard reality.

The standard 4k head and the flat top piston 5k head are basically identical. I'm running a 4k-c head on a 5k-c flat top motor with a 20 thou overbore(1566cc). The head was in good condition when I got it. I had it port and polished, skimmed, crack tested, bead blasted, valves reseated with a 3 angle grind and new vavles seals.

Running a standard 4k-c cam, holden lifters, datsun pushrods, 4k rocker gear and 5k valves and springs. I had to go back to a stock cam because I ʞ©$ɟed my fresh grind doing the timing. The engine runs about 185 psi cranking compression.

The only good reason for changing to a 4k head is (1)to get rid of the very holey pollution friendly 5k head and/or (2)to run a low compression set up.

If you want heaps of crompression, run a big cam and machine the shit out of your head.

Either way, changing to the 4k head will result in the need to change your cam, lifters, pushrods and rocker assembley. This is where the chev lifter/datsun rod combo comes in. There are other combos that work, BUT, this is a tried and tested setup. THAT WORKS!

So you will need the flat top pistons (get the bore measurement and don't ʞ©$ɟ it up), a 5k head gasket, a 4k cam or equivalent regrind to suit solid lifters, Holden 186 solid lifters (202's came out with hydraulic or anti-pump hydraulic lifters), Datsun A12 motor pushrods & a 4k rocker assembly.

Unless your prepared to experiment for yourself or spend the next 6 months chasing parts, just stick to that combo.

Edited by GJM85

So you will need the flat top pistons (get the bore measurement and don't ʞ©$ɟ it up), a 5k head gasket, a 4k cam or equivalent regrind to suit solid lifters, Holden 186 solid lifters (202's came out with hydraulic or anti-pump hydraulic lifters)

V8 Holden (253,308 and 304) and small block chev are also the same. Make sure you ask for a solid lifter and not anti pump up lifter cause they are still hydraulic. Buy aftermarket but not cheap crap eBay chinese ones, I've seen good brand aftermarket ones fail instantly too(RC members car) so if your going to go this route I'd seriously listen to your cam grinder and invest in a bottle of "Crane Cam super lube" to run your cam in with. Oils these days don't run any zink, which a flat tappet cam and lifter so desperatly need to surface harden properly.

Going to be sticking with a 5K head. I have managed to find a head and pushrods.

So i'll still be running hydro lifters. One because it's less ʞ©$ɟing around. And 2 because i don't need power or anything. I want reliability in the engine. Barely any work to it at all.

It will just be running a 40DHLA Dellorto side draught carby and extractors. So the 4K head and solid lifter conversion is scrapped for the time being.

CHeers

• 4 weeks later...

If you have the D dished pistons you want the head with the small combustion chamber.

Thanks GJM85, I know that.

Just wondering if the vans came with the smaller chamber or the larger. I guess they'd all be different.

It's just the one i can get is a fair drive and i have to pull it all off. I guess i'll just go for a drive and do it, if i can't be certain.

maybe you could get a standard 4k head and have it shaved 6mm. Then it would suit your deep dish engine.

Nah not going 4K head. Screw solid lifters.

So supercharged 5k... That fair dinks? Wouldn't have even considered it lol.. But I'm a noob

Nah not going to supercharge, will cost too much.

I think a relatively stock 5K with extractors and a side draught will be heaps good enough for me.

Plus i have another car to spending my money on!!