Exhuast For A 4K

Members dont see this ad

He's dead right- the usual extractors are 4 into 1 and end in a 2" pipe. I ran that to a 2" resonator then shrunk it to inch &3/4 for the pipe to the back.

Lots of guys use 2", it depends on your cam & how much time you spend at high revs and how much time at low revs. If you're driving it around town with a cam under 270deg all you'll get from 2" will be a headache as it uses the passenger compartment as a giant resonator..

• 2 months later...

Yes, you can see straight through it. It takes the crackle and backfiring out of the system, and then you follow it up at the end of the exhaust with something that you CAN'T see through. I like the tri-chamber design, an oval with the middle empty and each end packed with fibreglass. The sound goes straight into the wall at the rear part and gets absorbed by the glass, while the gases flow across the middle to the exit pipe.

Plenty on the web about muffler design. Don't use a hot-dog as the final muffler, just don't!

• Upvote 1

the hot dog thing i belive is called a resonator. which contrary to what it sounds like it does, it actually removes resonance from the system, not adds it in!

whatever you do don't run an exhaust without one, the resonance is painfull. I learnt that the hard way....

the 4k is such a little engine, once you get a nice set of extractors, some decent piping (not horrible 1" crust bent oem stuff), you can afford to put on a proper large baffled muffler, as you don't have that much air to get rid of.

so you can have a very nice flowing system, with out the horrid noise.

also guys where am i able to buy a set of extractors from? so the system i should buy is extractors to 2" max in the middle of the system put a resonator then a sprorts muffler at the rear, i know this might sounds shity but i want drift pipes at the rear is it still possible if i have a muffler?

hm headers don't make extracters anymore, know of anyother brand that does? wanting to do the exhaust on my ke30, it has a 4k in it.

Did you call HM to find that out, or is that just what you've heard?

Other brands you could try that make headers for K engines are Hurricane Headers and Coby Headers.

don't look too hard OSeas, I bought a set of 4-1 Hurricane extractors for 4k off the shelf from Liverpool exhaust in Moorebank (Sydney) last week. $150 + gst. Ask for Jimmy

Edit: Oh, I see you are overseas, sorry.

Edited by willofan