Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Full Body Exterior Paint Stripping

Featured Replies

Gday Guys!

 

I've got a sanding disk for my grinder because I'm trying to take pretty much all the paint off my Ke70, due to there being A) terrible paint and B) surface rust.

 

What is the best method, that isn't sand blasting to get the paint off? I've began sanding by hand, got half way through the Bonnet and Boot Lid and was over that method, I've heard that lathering the car in Pain Stripper may work, but also heard about the sanding disks for grinders.

 

What are peoples preferred methods? And with using the Grinding/Sanding Disks, is there a method that works best?

 

Thanks guys,

Ethan.

I wouldn't use a grinder, they spin too fast and you'll most likely leave bit marks or gauges

 

Paint stripper and varying grades of sandpaper is the way to go

chemical paint stripping is the best to take it back to bare metal. You can use household paint stripper, it does the same as automotive stuff. apply with a paintbrush nice and thick and let it sit till it starts to bubble. Then scrape off what you can with a scraper. Just make sure to wear eye protection and don't get it on your skin or you will know you are alive..

 

once stripped then you can sand off whats left..

  • Author

Fantastic, thanks very much guys!

Paint stripper & a Lindbide scraper that you pull towards yourself, with replaceable tungsten blades. Be very careful of the edges of the blades digging in, but it does a brilliant job. We did the top edges all down one side.

post-7544-0-71123300-1333185008_thumb.jpg

Its probably not the best method but a wire brush fitting for an angle grinder saw my whole car stripped of paint back to bare metal. I'd say as above paint stripper will work better though. Wire brush did knock out surface rust as i went which was handy

Edited by crispyke35

ide say paint stripper i did mine with a grinder and it took forever and then go over and surface rust with a wire brush fitting on a grinder or power drill

  • Author

Paint stripper & a Lindbide scraper that you pull towards yourself, with replaceable tungsten blades. Be very careful of the edges of the blades digging in, but it does a brilliant job. We did the top edges all down one side.

I'm of the understanding that any paint stripper is applicable? Can I buy household paint stripper if it is cheaper for a larger amount, or is a specific type better?

 

What did you pay for your Scraper? What should I expect to pay?

 

Cheers,

you should be able to use household paintstripper its all does the same thing

The killer strippers had some pretty toxic chemicals in, so they went to chlorinated hydrocarbons (perc & tric, drycleaning fluids really) then the Govt wanted to ban those so the new ones are environmentally friendly but as weak as shit. Try a couple of small cans and then buy the best one in bulk.

 

About $16 for a Lindbide, but copies might be cheaper & just as good.

post-7544-0-55531300-1333239510_thumb.jpg

^^^^ as above those scrapers are great, also just the plain spring steel type scrapers used for wood get rid of paint quick (they are called cabinet scrapers). I found in sections of old paint these remove the paint super quick, bit of a knack to using them though.

  • Author

How do I tell if one Paint Stripper is stronger, or more effective than another? Do they have strengths per say? I just don't want to spend money on something that's weak and won't work.

Usually the more they rip your sinuses apart the stronger they are! ..and any that wank on about envirnmentally safe and green are weak.

 

But really you need to try a couple, unless you ask a panel beater/spray painter.

 

The best have phenol in as an ingredient, the next best have perchloroethane or trichloroethylene. They might have ingredients listed if you're lucky.

  • Author

Most obvious choice haha, I just so happen to be putting the Supra into the Bodyworks next week, I'll ask them when I get there. Thanks very much mate!

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.