Full Body Exterior Paint Stripping

Zetai

Gday Guys!

I've got a sanding disk for my grinder because I'm trying to take pretty much all the paint off my Ke70, due to there being A) terrible paint and B) surface rust.

What is the best method, that isn't sand blasting to get the paint off? I've began sanding by hand, got half way through the Bonnet and Boot Lid and was over that method, I've heard that lathering the car in Pain Stripper may work, but also heard about the sanding disks for grinders.

What are peoples preferred methods? And with using the Grinding/Sanding Disks, is there a method that works best?

Thanks guys,

Ethan.

Members dont see this ad

chemical paint stripping is the best to take it back to bare metal. You can use household paint stripper, it does the same as automotive stuff. apply with a paintbrush nice and thick and let it sit till it starts to bubble. Then scrape off what you can with a scraper. Just make sure to wear eye protection and don't get it on your skin or you will know you are alive..

once stripped then you can sand off whats left..

Its probably not the best method but a wire brush fitting for an angle grinder saw my whole car stripped of paint back to bare metal. I'd say as above paint stripper will work better though. Wire brush did knock out surface rust as i went which was handy

Edited by crispyke35

Paint stripper & a Lindbide scraper that you pull towards yourself, with replaceable tungsten blades. Be very careful of the edges of the blades digging in, but it does a brilliant job. We did the top edges all down one side.

I'm of the understanding that any paint stripper is applicable? Can I buy household paint stripper if it is cheaper for a larger amount, or is a specific type better?

What did you pay for your Scraper? What should I expect to pay?

Cheers,

The killer strippers had some pretty toxic chemicals in, so they went to chlorinated hydrocarbons (perc & tric, drycleaning fluids really) then the Govt wanted to ban those so the new ones are environmentally friendly but as weak as shit. Try a couple of small cans and then buy the best one in bulk.

About $16 for a Lindbide, but copies might be cheaper & just as good.

post-7544-0-55531300-1333239510_thumb.jpg

Usually the more they rip your sinuses apart the stronger they are! ..and any that wank on about envirnmentally safe and green are weak.

But really you need to try a couple, unless you ask a panel beater/spray painter.

The best have phenol in as an ingredient, the next best have perchloroethane or trichloroethylene. They might have ingredients listed if you're lucky.