Wanted: Pics Of Efi Fuel Tanks

Jono

Getting mixed opinions about surge tanks.

What are your opinions/experiences regarding a surge tank setup?

I've been told that an external Bosch Motorsport pump will pull fuel ok from a normal tank as long as you keep enough fuel in the tank.

I understand that when you start cornerning hard etc you might suck some air but would'nt the fuel pressure reg up front sort this out? probably not so good for the pump but they aren't too expensive really.

So if YOU have installed a surge tank please post up some pics.

jon.

Members dont see this ad

Standard EFI fuel tanks have a little bowl inside the tank that the pump sits in. Theres some other mechanisims (some plastic thing) to keep the fuel in the bowl under cornering/acceleration.

For external setups, you will need a lifter pump, surge tank/swirl pot (a separate tank) and your high pressure fuel pump.

What bosch motorsport pump are we talking about? Theres heaps of them. The more common ones are the 040 and 044. The 040 is the intank pump flows about 235lph. The 044 is usually external but I think you can mount it in tank. It flows more than the 040. Both of them are really overkill for most applications.

as i'm trying to do this conversion as cheap as possible (except the computer) I am hoping I can just use an external pump and use the existing tank (sounds like I will have to either modify it with that bowl thingy or find a suitable EFI tank with similar dimensions).

anyone NOT install a surge tank and have found they should have?

anyone been talked into getting a surge tank and thought they didn't really need it?

What engine are you planning on using?

I don't have a surge tank myself, but that is mainly because my car is strictly a daily driver.

The Twin SU's on my worked 5K seem to get enough fuel from a simple External Elec Fuel pump in the boot.

I somehow get the feeling that you are going much bigger than 5K though.

Have a look at this link anyway:

Click

Here is my version for EFI sump.

New tank for TE71, cut about 30mm hole to bottom, weld sump. All done... :cool:

Only i don't recomend that bottom suction, because on older tank you have a lot shit in there, and your fuel filter is allways stuffed.

PICT0048.JPG

Edited by Toycrash

• 5 weeks later...