Original Ke25 Coupe Deluxe

Hills_KE25

To celebrate finishing uni and stepping into the real world (read: getting a full-time job), I decided to treat myself to a present. Bought it in January this year and have loved every KM driven in it!

It's a 1974 KE25 Corolla Coupe Deluxe in "bamboo" aka mustard yellow. Essentially original except for the wheels and a few other minor bits and pieces.

- 3K motor with 2 speed 'Toyoglide' automatic

When I bought it it had the following:

- Reconditioned head

- New pistons, rings, bearings, valve grind and gasket kit

- Reconditioned radiator

- Pedders shocks front and rear with stock height king springs up front

- Fatter 22mm swaybar

- Full exhaust with extractors (not loud)

Condition is pretty damn good for an original car of 38 years old. Has only a small amount of rust, isolated to the two front quarter panels and boot lid. There is a fair amount of minor surface rust, which isn't a problem. Interior needs the most work, when I bought it the carpet was shot, roof lining is buggered, steering wheel is average and all the seats need a re-trim (hence the nasty seat covers). Door trims appear quite good, dash is great and has a new dash pad.

The main issue is the 2 speed auto! What were they thinking?! Very high on my to-do list is a manual swap. Just need to track down a K40 or K50 gearbox as well as all the other bits I need and get it done ASAP!

Here are some pictures of just after I bought it...

p1030162kj.jpg

p1030167o.jpg

p1030170c.jpg

p1030168b.jpg

p1030174g.jpg

p1030175lr.jpg

p1030166pq.jpg

img0506ux.jpg

• Upvote 1

Members dont see this ad

Since purchase, I have done a few things, nothing much but just a few little things that needed doing (and that I couldn't help!).

When I bought it, the interior carpet was pretty crap.

p1030178y.jpg

10 minutes on eBay and some new plush pile moulded carpet was on its way!

Now I'm no craftsman, so the job isn't all that pretty but it's a million times better than it was before.

img0473sx.jpg

With the rest of the interior back in...

img0486z.jpg

A further 10 minutes on eBay and I couldn't help myself :D

img0509s.jpg

A quick browse on, yep you guessed it - eBay - and I had these bad boys turn up on my doorstep 5 - 10 working days later!

img0525v.jpg

Put all those together and you get this...

img0589za.jpg

img0593ue.jpg

Very happy with how she is shaping up at the moment. Lots more in the pipeline, but taking it slowly so I can do it right.

Edited by Hills_KE25
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks very cool mate. Nice work. :y:

If you're going to do a manual conversion, it'll definitely be worth getting a K50 5-speed. :yes:

Josh :cool:

Thanks for the comments guys! Really happy with her so far.

You think the 5 speed is the way to go, mate? I'm assuming they cost a bit more? But everything else should be the same for a conversion, regardless of whether its a K40 or K50....?

Love it! So clean! Welcome to Rollaclub mate

You sticking with the 3k? I find mine a little hard to keep up with normal traffic!

I will be sticking with it for now, don't really need much more poke for what I'll be using the car for. I know what you mean though! She is very slow, especially with the auto, but I have my turbo Soarer for when I want to keep up with traffic :lol:

Wow very jelous ! love the ke25's :) was this the one on eBay not long ago ?

I don't think it was on ebay, not sure though. I found it advertised on Carsales...