Can't Find One, So I'll Make One.

carbonboy

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could just remove the rear diff from this chassis... :lolcry:

Can't afford to/haven't got the skills to make a full sized 4WD AE82, this will have to do. :)

Haha nah 4WD will be sweet!

It's going to look great. Are you keeping the box guards on it? I do like them.

Edited by kickn5k

Box guards? Flared wheelarches? Yes, keeping those & shaping in the sideskirts. If I left it as wide as it was, the wheels would sit inside the bodywork by about 6mm, not a good look.

I shouldn't have started browsing that Tamiya website, I could do some serious wallet damage there! :laff:

During lunchtime at trade school today, I wandered up to the signwriting department to have a chat with the teacher. Like a champ, he hooked me up with two large sheets of HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene) that they had leftover from when they used to teach plastic forming. Not only this, he was also willing to print the stickers for the car detailing provided I supplied him with the image files. :)

Cheers man, am having fun learning as I go.

The upgraded motor was waiting for me when I got home this afternoon, just waiting on batteries.Trying to figure out how to mate the motors electronic speed control to the existing receiver...electrics...*headache* :(

• 2 weeks later...

Done making the plastic shell or done making the fibreglass mould? Niether if I can help it. :blush:

You're referring to the overhangs right? (i.e front/rear bumpers) Since my original plan was to make a FG mould of it & have it as a two-piece (split down the middle front to rear) with external 'brackets' for holding the halves together correctly. Attach 'brackets', then cut down the middle while it's still on the plug.

Then the concept of plastic formng was introduced into the mix (cheers B.Z.L.BUB :y:) & the shape is now problematic. I really want to keep the current shape rather than have to alter it, the hopeful part of my mind says "Yeah, you'll be able to get the shrink-wrapped plastic off it multiple times without damaging it". The pessimist part says "No f**king chance".

Probably going to alter the front & rear, see how it looks & go from there. Unless anyone has any other suggestions? :)

Multiple small holes distributed evenly maybe? Once one gets covered by the plastic, its suction stops or pulls a hole in it. :( Could keep the shape, pretty sure I'd be able to peel it out somehow.

My brain has just imploded, this means I need sleep. :yes: