Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Can't Find One, So I'll Make One.

Featured Replies

F**k.....I'm hoping not, as it has had less than an hours run-time, it's sensorless. Will keep an eye on it for those symptoms, I have the ESC so the new motor by itself might not be so pricey. Unless I have to have an ESC that's compatible with a sensored motor? Not looking to get too financially involved in RC just yet...then again 1 turned into 3 very quickly! :lol:

 

Having re-read the manual to see if it was sensorless or not, I discovered that the sudden lack of/appearance of acceleration could also be caused by having not calibrated the throttle range of the controller...at all. Damned instructions! :blush:

The motor I killed was the same age.

Some ESC's are capable of supporting Sensored, I was lucky.

Been perfect since.

and I was the same, 1 turned into 16. (Red Jeep)

Have something for any situation now.

There is another perfectly OK posibility, Flat battery. They go slow, stop and then fast as some charge returns, repeat cycle till battery is dead.

This means stop recharge and play again. :oops:

  • Replies 69
  • Views 136.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author

Took it out to Winterfest, had a play around & made some observations, the small size & lack of decent suspension means it hops & skips around everywhere over rough asphalt. Rather tough to control even on half throttle. :( The bright side being it drifts like a mofo & does 360 spins like a demon. :D This plastic holds up to crashes okay but too flimsy to pick it up easily.

 

Thinking of swapping the factory gear back when the polycarbonate shell goes on & put the brushless gear into the offroad buggy. Much easier to find a place to run offroad than onroad sadly. Broke the mount I made for the steering servo, but all in all a success I think.

Edited by carbonboy

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

Plastics lesson #8 for me - Polycarbonate can be expensive...like $65 for a 900mm x 600mm sheet of 3mm expensive. Fortunately I don't need it that thick & managed to find some 1.5mm stuff for $20 a square metre, much better!

 

First attempt was a fail, it only shaped over the roof so I reheated it & went again. Got the position wrong & stuffed it. Second attempt I didn't pay attention to the plastic as it was heating & made a mess on the BBQ hotplate.

 

Third attempt (with some 'massaging' with a heatgun) came out alright. Difficult not to get the creases in the corners but the hatch spoiler & front bumper shaped up quite nicely. Tough enough to not crumple when you pick it up too.

 

post-5437-0-71096600-1342317151_thumb.jpg

 

post-5437-0-91479100-1342317217_thumb.jpg

 

You never get this sort of stuff on the first go, or third.

And the problem might not be heat but unsufficiant vacume. you only get a few seconds before it hardens. or it gets too hot and melts through and you get holes.

Look at maybe adding a second vac to the system to speed up the forming process.

 

^ This guy speaks the truth! It's why I bought several metres of the stuff, prepared for failure. :lol: I'm thinking a second vacuum will definitely be of assistance, thankyou for the tip man!

  • 3 months later...
  • Author

Some small ones at least. :)

 

The steering servo-motor kept pulling itself and/or its mounting bracket off, so I replaced the screws with bolts & nuts. Nice & solid now. Also have some ballast attached to even out the weight distribution, thanks to the battery it turned left brilliantly, right turns...not so much.

 

I've built another box for the vacuum forming process, smaller volume so it & the plug can fit inside the bbq with the hood down to be able to vacuum it with even heat.

 

The plug has had a sand & the bog is currently curing, it needed some attention after the abuse it received from the heatgun. I'll give that a sand then a quick spray of primer, then I need to steal my housemates bbq back again. :lol:

  • 4 months later...

what ever happened to this carbonboy?

  • Author

*awkward shuffle*

 

:blush:

 

It hasn't been abandoned, it's been shelved, literally. All the R/C gear is in one box & the plastic stuff is somewhere else. I have a fair bit of space, but only a limited amount of working area due to keeping things inside (car bits to keep out of weather). Meaning having multiple things on the go is a self-induced nightmare. So I've been extending the amount of sheltered area outside I have to store car bits I currently have taking up inside area & getting rid of things I don't need anymore (non-car things).

  • 2 months later...

You should make the mould and see if you can find a place to vacuum form it.

Should be dirt cheap or DIY it

 

 

Approximately Reed, in Deg Celsius, How hot is 450 Degrees Farenheit

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.