Ideal Operating Engine Temp/k Series

9gday lads, currently I'm running a 5k ke35 corolla with stocko engine fan, ive been finishing at 11pm every night and outside temps are approx 10deg, with thermostat, recoed radiator and standard fan, I'm running aprox 70-80 degrees through my stock fan(sender built into thermostat housing) running aftermarket gauge,

so what I'm thinking, is not only help the motor spin quicker/less drag/less restriction when not needed, what is my ultimate running temp i should be aiming for???? when i get home, and on the drive home i never reach any excess temp, i watch the gauge regulary and nothing ever exceeds what it should, ive read a few forums about fords/chevs saying they make more power when there colder, but ʞ©$ɟ I'm running a 5k corolla engine, surely theres a average engine temp i should be aiming at

good old sunny qld wont give me 10degree nights forever but while its here i may aswell bolt a shroud and thermo fan with a thermatic switch but I'm just wondering do i bring it on early in the cooler months, or a set range is fine or what???, i know that a engine fan is useless in temps this cool

whats everyone think??? run it cold or at a set temp?? I'm open to ideas

cheers

Members dont see this ad

i read this again, my question is, i will buy a thermo fan and thermatic switch to suit, but waht temp is ideal to my situation, i don't even think i'd get the blades to turn on the drive home/ which isnt a bad thing.... but when it heats up i will need it to be reliable. what temp do i set my measley motor to???

many thanks

from everything ive ever read/been told/ absorbed over the years involved in cars, the goal is to heat it up to optimum temp asap, ie 82 degrees, to minimise the cold temp damage/wear.

then simply maintain that.

looks like it's doing that already?

if anything, during winter, run a hotter, or later opening thermostat, especially if you only use the car for short trips.

i think i used to get a 87, or something?

but yeah going by your OP, car is fine?

my 2c, mate

You want a thermo to kick in when your thermostat opens. The thermo switches close at a temp lower than that which they open.

Your fan doesn't control temp, the thermostat does.

You definitely don't want the fan to be higher than the thermostat because it will get a temp spike

Edited by philbey

i would just experiminet with it to be honest.

wire it all up, but also wire in a over ride switch.

pick some numbers, and watch the temp guage, adjust to suit.

i had a simliar device to what you describe. i set it up by trial and error, based on when the temp guage started to move off its "normal position" (about 82deg).

I found it never turned on unless the car had been sitting in traffic for more than about 5mins. only then did the temp guage start to rise and the fans kicked in.

I guess first thing is to check/ test thermostat, and possible replace with a colder one if nescessery to ensure its working right, I didnt get it over 70degree on my gauge last night so I want to remove the fan to help warm my engine up. I'll give it all a try and see what happens, Ny guidance to set on/off temps for my switch? I don't want the engine unnecessarly hot or cold, really just optimal operating temp. Cheers