Mk Ii Corona 75

frasian

hey guys I'm about to have a look at a mkII corona, its pretty cheap for 400, its complete and unregistered etc but it is the 4m 2.6 straight 6 engine to a manual box, which i hear is pretty rare. 4 door version.

just wondering if anyone on here has had past or present experience with them ? weak points common faults etc.

would parts be hard to fiind if the engine is shagged or will it be worth it to just drop another 6 in it ?

any and all feedback is welcome, my logic is, its rare, looks cool, don't see it everyday and is prety dammn cheap :)

Edited by frasian

Members dont see this ad

Well I think its an awesome find. Put in a JZ series engine and gearbox. It already has the 7.5 inch diff and the bay and balance of the car is shaped to accommodate a straight six.

Youd be best advised to get away from the straight 6 M series engines if its already having issues, as with M motors, a service is expensive as it includes a head gasket each time.

I have no idea how the front suspension works in them, Id assume a Macpherson strut but honestly I have stripped 2 and on neither did I look at the front suspension.

The price is cheap, even if its rusty as people will happily pay up to $550 or so for the stock diff, as its a narrow F series thats only 6mm wider than an ae86/ke70 diff. Saves shortening your tarago rear end.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

much to muck around with to put a jz in, or can parts be found easily, will it need custom gearbox and engine mounts, hydro clutch etc ?

i only just got back from europe and budget was dramatically reduced from the latter haha.

just saw the car and can't really refuse it, as its unlicensed it can stay off the road for a while while the work is being done so no real hassle there on time.

Meh nothing wrong with a 7m if you know what you're doing.

The headgasket issue is that Toyota had the torque specs wrong, If you use the ones on the headgasket or 75fl lb or whatever it is listed on supraforums they're virtually worry free.

Plus they're cheap

I don't know about worry free M motor headgaskets. Even Teddys overrated as hell MA70 7MGTE supra had about 30000klms and a bhg.

I'm sure its not as big a problem as it once was. However I'm also sure that compared to the later 6s its night and day differences in technology.

It really depends on your budget. If it was me, Id look for an NA JZA80 motor and manual box to put in. It would cost bugger all and end up with around 150KW and tonnes of torque. Sounds like a win to me. Plus it'll be efi and make better use of fuel.

I don't know about worry free M motor headgaskets. Even Teddys overrated as hell MA70 7MGTE supra had about 30000klms and a bhg.

I'm sure its not as big a problem as it once was. However I'm also sure that compared to the later 6s its night and day differences in technology.

I know of a very worry free 7M-GTE!!

100,000kms on low boost(15psi). The secret is to NOT use Toyota or cheap wing Wong head gasket or bolts. No different to those tractor sounding nessan CA's. Arp studs and MLS gasket all you need for trouble free boosting!!

not really after a beast in speed ads I'm still on p-plates.

panel wise its all there and stepdad is a panelbeater so if its still useable it would get repaired, thanks for the offer though.

ill let you guys know more once i go have a look on sunday and hopefully be the new owner :)