Ke55 Battery Or Alternator?

jara

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, from the test, did you get the printout? what was the SLV (simulated load volts - what the voltage drops to under load ie starting the car)? if above 10V, then battery good.

I believe your issue is around the alternator regulator. if the charge light is off, then the brushes are in contact, and the alternator is working. however, when the engine is turning over, and the charge light is on, check the voltage again. this will indicate if the alternator is the issue. unlike a battery, the alternator either works, or doesn't. there is no middle ground, or gradual degradation.

so i used the 20 at 10 o'clock, it has a V with three dots above it and a line.

car off was 13.16

car idle was 14.43

car off was 13.34

was i meant to test the battery when it was cold?

In terms of your above data, this just shows that the battery was taking a charge. however a fully charge battery will only show 12.6-12.7v (theoretically, @3.2V/cell, a battery is capable of 13.2v - but this isn't achievable in normal wet cell batteries). any higher will be residual charge in the system. to get an accurate result, wait 5-10 minutes, and test again.

Edited by Bowler

Honestly, I've had more alternators fail than you've probably cooked dinners.

OK maybe not.

Alternator probably cactus. They'll often give you niggly little problems for months on end until they finally die. My money is on alternator.

Edited by philbey

Car doesnt have a tacco, so i have no idea when it's doing 3000rpm.

They didn't give me a printout so i have no idea on that bit.

So looks like i should be ringing up some auto elecs asking for prices on fixing the alternator, this car really likes to ʞ©$ɟ around with my wallet. this stuff about the regulator sounds pretty likely though.

if anyone close by would be willing to give me a hand though, that'd be pretty awesome.

• 1 month later...

well i finally got around to getting an auto elec a couple weeks ago (bloody dodgy prick he was). had the alternator rebuilt and charge light was still coming on. after he fixed something else he ʞ©$ɟed up and blamed on me he said it was the fan belt. i did that myself though, but the charge light is still coming on about 70% of the time.

battery hasnt gotten to the point where it cranks really slow in a while though. so i guess is that the 30% of the time when the light is off, that's charging it enough. Or the wiring to the light is just playing up.....

I've had a few battery tests, they all say its good

any thoughts?

how old is the battery? when you say the battery is good.. before you mentioned it was 68% but still said good? i would have replaced the battery at that stage. with a reco'd alternator it is probably the only thing left other than wiring gremlins.

The most obvious solution is usually the right one.