Cam Advice

RhysE

Hey guys Ive currently got a smallport 4age stripped down waiting to be rebuilt and put into my ke70 my plans are to get a t3 itb adapter and fit st itbs then upgrade the cams in my head I have 304/304 for my selection but is this to high for street use and the occasional track day? The car will be used as my daily.

Not sure how much I'm going to have to spend but what else would I need to support 304/304 cams?

Cheers guys any advice will be helpful

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys Ive currently got a smallport 4age stripped down waiting to be rebuilt and put into my ke70 my plans are to get a t3 itb adapter and fit st itbs then upgrade the cams in my head I have 304/304 for my selection but is this to high for street use and the occasional track day? The car will be used as my daily.

Not sure how much I'm going to have to spend but what else would I need to support 304/304 cams?

Cheers guys any advice will be helpful

Yes, especially when in combination with being a daily. It sounds cool, but will be a pain to deal with what would effectively be a racing-spec engine in traffic.Mind you, this is just opinion. :)

Lots.

Those kind of cam-specs require after-market engine management, as the factory computer will have no hope. The factory valve springs/shims have a similar hope of survival. You'd want to also take advantage of those camshafts by having the head ported/polished, maybe skimmed to up the compression a bit.

I only travel like 5 mins to work in the morning not in a city not much traffic st all really, so what would be a better choice in your eyes? I've only ever had v6s so never had experience with a cam, I'm after midrange to top end power I guess more then bottom end but would like to feel something down low, the car will have a aftermarket ecu haven't chosen as of yet though.. I will have about 1500-2000 I think to put into engine the rest is Coilovers and wilwood brakes and tidying up a few other things.. Could you guys give me an indication on a good cam choice and something that will not require a shim over or under kit (not sure which one is needed and standard lol) but anyways cheers guys the car will be drifted at track days occasionally and driven hard almost every time I get into it so any advice which way to go would be great I m after a really strong cranky N/A

Get another daily would be my advice! 5minutes won't even warm the motor up and will be bad for it.

Hunt down more info on what cams and head mods to use from a race engineer and make it a Sunday car that you just don't drive in traffic. I'm sure you could get a run-around KE70 with a 5K warmed up for a daily.

For the cam I'd expect anything over 295 would be race only, they'd be very flat under 3000rpm at that and stumble and cough. Especially as you get into button clutches or race linings so getting it off the line gets more difficult. If you've got used to a V6 then you'll be surprised at the lack of torque low down.

Also have a look through the builds forum and PM anyone who has a cammed up 4AGE, they might not come on often enough to read this topic.

Some cam stuff in here- Basically around 275 is good road cam, 280 is a fast road cam and 290 is a weekend warrior, but the rest of the motor will have to suit it. The 304deg is used in Formulae Atlantic race cars, so you might struggle in traffic...

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tech-conversions/5293-4age-camshaft-guide.html

Some background info here-

http://www.club4ag.com/faq_and_tech_pages/4A-GE%20camshaft_story.htm

Cheers for the links mate :) after looking more I think 272/272 will be good or around 280 ish should be decent enough power,

Not to worried bout down low coming from a commodore lol it's nice to have a car that handles! So any more power in this little car and I should be very happy for now and maybe go turbo route later on :)

• 3 months later...