October 25, 201213 yr comment_633568 Hey, just looking for as many opinions i can get as to whether I should buy this little sh!t box http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/port-noarlunga/cars/low-km-s-1987-4-cyl-toyota-corolla-sedan-500/1007794396 Pros - it has low klms - cheap to run and cheap to buy (+ price is negotiable) - has cd player - its a corolla - has rego Cons - looks poo - probably something wrong with it ? The thing is my car (ke38) is on historic rego and is running out of days left to drive and I am looking for something that can get me around for next couple of months that is cheap and I can sell again for the same money. I am going to inspect this car and maybe some others over the next few days. What are things to look for in an ae82 when inspecting/ test driving? Is this a good price? CHEERS, Chris Report
October 25, 201213 yr comment_633594 The reg is about to run out,so you will be up for that. Fender mirrors are awful. No mention of RWC which I presume you have over there. It's cheap, but who knows what work it needs. These things are common as muck, I would find another one with matching paint, good tyres etc. They are pretty indestructible, main thing to look for is accident damage. Edit: If you have time, a twin cam is a much better car. Edited October 25, 201213 yr by parrot Report
October 25, 201213 yr comment_633599 Isnt Adelaide the land of transferable Rego without RWC? Mirrors = ugly. I'd take it for a spin. If it feels ok, no CV joint noise, tyres ok. Check the oil. All the basics. Check the side with the new panel for chassis damage. Take a magnet if you are anal and run it over patchy paint (if it don't stick it's bog). Then offer $300 Edited October 25, 201213 yr by B.L.Z.BUB Report
October 25, 201213 yr Author comment_633602 Haha you are not wrong about the fender mirrors. yuck. don't have RWC in SA so no problem there. Yes I would need to get rego on it soon but probably only 3 months worth as i would probably move it on in the new year.. I wish I could find twin cams for this price. I really am very restricted on price at the moment so thats why i was considering it. I'd take it for a spin. If it feels ok, no CV joint noise, tyres ok. Check the oil. All the basics. Check the side with the new panel for chassis damage. Take a magnet if you are anal and run it over patchy paint (if it don't stick it's bog). Then offer $300 haha I think this is the way to go. If it is all good mechanically I would be keen. Cheers for the input guys Report
October 25, 201213 yr comment_633625 If it doesn't require a RWC snap that sucker up and just drive it in to the ground. I snagged myself a twincam AE82 for $235, was $250 but I found $15 in the ashtray. Sure it's got a few things wrong but i drive it to and from work and it sits in the sun all day. I couldn't ask for a better car for such duties. Report
October 26, 201213 yr Author comment_633743 Well I slept on it and cooler heads have prevailed. It's just too rank. Sorry to anyone who actually clicked the link hahaha Report
October 26, 201213 yr comment_633754 I reckon you made the right decision. You will find a clean one for that with more reg. Report
October 26, 201213 yr Author comment_633770 Yeah I just get a bit impatient when looking for cars, never the right one when you are looking but when your aren't, they seem to be everywhere. I am on a pretty tight budget though so that does narrow it down a bit. I would be keen on a 4age ae82 if its in decent nic and under a grand. (thats about my limit at the moment for what i can spend.) I inquired about this one but had no reply so i think its sold. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/blackwood/cars/4age-toyota-corrola/1007832346 Guess i will just keep an eye out over the next few weeks and see what comes up. Cheers for the input it certainly helps Report
October 26, 201213 yr comment_633771 Thats the key though, laying in wait till the right one pops up. I waited for about 2 months to grab my 4AGE ksev. It depends on if you have the luxury of time, no matter what as soon as you buy one something better and cheaper will pop up a week later. Report
October 27, 201213 yr comment_633799 Good mate of mine recently bought a GZE powered ae-82 which needed only minor body work and maybe a new set of tires and a screen for roadworthy for $1300. Came with engineers too. So I'd be expecting you'd be able to find stock neat(ish) twin cam for just under the $1000 mark. They aren't the fastest things out there, but they do have "giggle factor" in bucket loads!! Report
October 27, 201213 yr Author comment_633854 hmm doesnt have a 4age, but this one might be worth checking out :hmm: looks ok http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/old-reynella/cars/1986-toyota-corolla-sedan-low-low-kilometres/1008611158 Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now