Should I Buy It? Ae82..

Oh-KE

Hey, just looking for as many opinions i can get as to whether I should buy this little sh!t box

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/port-noarlunga/cars/low-km-s-1987-4-cyl-toyota-corolla-sedan-500/1007794396

Pros

- it has low klms

- cheap to run and cheap to buy (+ price is negotiable)

- has cd player

- its a corolla

- has rego

Cons

- looks poo

- probably something wrong with it ?

The thing is my car (ke38) is on historic rego and is running out of days left to drive and I am looking for something that can get me around for next couple of months that is cheap and I can sell again for the same money. I am going to inspect this car and maybe some others over the next few days.

What are things to look for in an ae82 when inspecting/ test driving?

Is this a good price?

CHEERS,

Chris

Members dont see this ad

The reg is about to run out,so you will be up for that. Fender mirrors are awful. No mention of RWC which I presume you have over there.

It's cheap, but who knows what work it needs. These things are common as muck, I would find another one with matching paint, good tyres etc.

They are pretty indestructible, main thing to look for is accident damage.

Edit: If you have time, a twin cam is a much better car.

Edited by parrot

Isnt Adelaide the land of transferable Rego without RWC?

Mirrors = ugly.

I'd take it for a spin. If it feels ok, no CV joint noise, tyres ok. Check the oil. All the basics.

Check the side with the new panel for chassis damage. Take a magnet if you are anal and run it over patchy paint (if it don't stick it's bog).

Then offer $300

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

Haha you are not wrong about the fender mirrors. yuck.

don't have RWC in SA so no problem there. Yes I would need to get rego on it soon but probably only 3 months worth as i would probably move it on in the new year..

I wish I could find twin cams for this price. I really am very restricted on price at the moment so thats why i was considering it.

I'd take it for a spin. If it feels ok, no CV joint noise, tyres ok. Check the oil. All the basics.

Check the side with the new panel for chassis damage. Take a magnet if you are anal and run it over patchy paint (if it don't stick it's bog).

Then offer $300

haha I think this is the way to go. If it is all good mechanically I would be keen.

Cheers for the input guys

If it doesn't require a RWC snap that sucker up and just drive it in to the ground.

I snagged myself a twincam AE82 for $235, was $250 but I found $15 in the ashtray. Sure it's got a few things wrong but i drive it to and from work and it sits in the sun all day. I couldn't ask for a better car for such duties.

Yeah I just get a bit impatient when looking for cars, never the right one when you are looking but when your aren't, they seem to be everywhere.

I am on a pretty tight budget though so that does narrow it down a bit. I would be keen on a 4age ae82 if its in decent nic and under a grand. (thats about my limit at the moment for what i can spend.) I inquired about this one but had no reply so i think its sold.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/blackwood/cars/4age-toyota-corrola/1007832346

Guess i will just keep an eye out over the next few weeks and see what comes up.

Cheers for the input it certainly helps

Good mate of mine recently bought a GZE powered ae-82 which needed only minor body work and maybe a new set of tires and a screen for roadworthy for $1300. Came with engineers too. So I'd be expecting you'd be able to find stock neat(ish) twin cam for just under the $1000 mark. They aren't the fastest things out there, but they do have "giggle factor" in bucket loads!!