Ke70Dave's New Toy!

ke70dave

So a small update and a question for the board.

playing with my newly aquired christmas present, that orange drill, i got enthusiastic and bought a wire wheel and had a bit of fun.

post-2532-0-92229800-1356929101_thumb.jpg

now onto the problem.

Does anyone reckon that a radiator shop will be able to sell me those steel inserts? they look like a standard size.

post-2532-0-87672800-1356929187_thumb.jpg

post-2532-0-07282000-1356929236_thumb.jpg

And what do we think of this?

This is where an o-ring sits and it sits inside the water pump housing.

I'm wondering if i can just get that crack brazed.

post-2532-0-81370100-1356929330_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right well this car is turning into a right pain in the ass :P

parts replaced and work done so far:

-head reconditioning, all top end gaskets replaced (VRS kit)

-new radiator ($290.....)

-fixed coolant pipe behind water pump (the one in the previous photos, i ended up fitting some copper/brass hose fittings in place of the rusted pipe)

-new radiator hoses and hose clamps

-new overflow bottle

-new small steel water pipe near radiator

-new radiator cap

-rebuilt front diff with new seals and new grease and oil (like $300 here :S)

-new spark plugs

-new rubber things that stop the doors from flying open

-oil/oil filter

Around $1200 in parts/fluids so far, head reco costing ~$475 incl vrs kit. All new stuff, no wreckers part.

Bolted it all back together on saturday got to the point of putting the airbox thing back on, fill it up with water, and water is pissing out the water pump weep hole!!!

So ordered a new water pump on Saturday, it will arrive tomorrow hopefully ($46 incl express postage). Half pulled it appart but got annoyed so gave up!

I have pretty much replaced or fixed everything in the coolant system....this is why you use coolant and not water!

Maybe this weekend i will get it running :)

Oh i need to track down a radiator shroud, found one for $39 plus post. So might get that if i can't find a second hand one for reasonable price/location.

Total current cost is $3400 incl purchase of car itself. expected another $300 on brakes and misc other bits for RWC (brakes kinda don't work at all). there is a leak on either the gbox or transfer box (there is oil everywhere....), but ill degrease the hell out of it soon and see if i can pinpoint the leak.

So probably close to $4000 when I'm done. which sounds expensive, but alot of the cars for sale are asking $4500 and sound like they need a bit of work.

Good news is it will be a brand new engine (from the headgasket up) when I'm done.

Let the fun continue, proposed camping trip to bribie island as soon as i finish, so i has a goal to work towards!

Oh dear, you could get that repaired, just hope there is nothing sinister between the air and water ports.

yeah that is what I'm worried about.

I might have found one up north somewhere, hopefully he accepts my offer of $20. (he said offers!)

This is the only bit of cooling system that i have not touched, and of course it has failed :P

i bought some brake pads and rear slave cylinders yesterday, so thats this weekends job, then assuming i can get this manifold sorted.....we are off to RWC next week!

Right updates, everyone loves updates.

Picked up my new manifold on sunday, it is off a coil sprung model (1997 ish) so its in great condition.

i had to swap everything over to the new manifold (carby, thermostat, a few other no idea what they do vacuum contraptions). Had to make a new carby-manifold gasket, as well as a new thermostat gasket.

Bolt it on last night, and she runs! and no coolant leaks!

Idle up doesnt appear to work, but it idles fine at ~800rpm even when its cold. So that can wait. its got a stupid auto choke in it, which is a wax thing, which apparntly have a happit of not working...ever.

I am considering just running a vacuum line from the manifold to the interiour.....with a tap on it. Manual idle up :P

I also had a leaking rear brake slave cylinder, replaced one side last night (other side was difficult to get too in garage, and it wasnt leaking...). And i bled the brakes to see if they would bleed up to a nice pedal.

Brakes feel a bit squishy still, so i think ill bleed them again tonight. I might also need to adjust the rear brake shoes. they are are worn a bit, and are miles away from the drums....

So tonight i think ill take it for its first drive in a few months! and really my first drive of a working car....

Then hopefully i will give it a decent underside clean and degrease with my high pressure sprayer, and book it in for a RWC next week!!

Then its just change the gbox, transfer case, and diff oils for good measure.